Author Topic: Help deciphering date on demobilization form  (Read 571 times)

Offline ariedl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help deciphering date on demobilization form
« on: Saturday 11 October 14 15:57 BST (UK) »
I've been researching my grandfather's WW1 service, and just found the original copy of his demobilization form the other day. I originally thought that his enlistment date was 3/4/1918, which I believe was based on my mother seeing this form many years ago. In looking at the form now, however, I'm inclined to believe that the date was really 3/7/1918. I would appreciate opinions from others on the board.

I'm attaching two pictures; one of the enlistment date as written on the form and one of some numbers written on the back of the form. Unfortunately, there are no other 4s or 7s written on the front of the form, and I can't be sure that the numbers on the back were written by the same person. Several of the numbers look similar, however, so it's at least possible.

So what do you think; is it a 4 or a 7?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering date on demobilization form
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 October 14 16:18 BST (UK) »
For what it's worth - there appears to be  number 3 on the right of the second pic which looks very much like the 3 on the first which leads me to suggest that back and front are in the same hand.  Soooo, the number four has a short tail, the disputed number a long tail so I go for a 7.

Have you looked for his records on line?  If they are there, they may show more?
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 October 14 16:21 BST (UK) »
Looks like a 7

Sandra  ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline amber39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 October 14 16:30 BST (UK) »
My vote is for a 7

Regards     Amber39
Norfolk: Copling,Coppen ,Oakley, Vertigans, Cracknell
Suffolk:  Grist, Scopes, Bullenthorpe. Knights,Watcham
Cambs.: Wilson, Andrews.
London: Monk

We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, but more in the light of what they suffer.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline ariedl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 October 14 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for the quick responses!

Have you looked for his records on line?  If they are there, they may show more?
I have researched everything I know of online, and none include his enlistment date. His service records don't appear to have survived, and the Medal Rolls only include his regimental number, rank, and unit.

Thanks again!