Author Topic: 1911 Scottish Census - look-up? please for Haddington  (Read 29577 times)

Offline c145hoo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Scottish Census - look-up? please for Haddington
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 September 14 18:33 BST (UK) »
Ruskie,
She was named as the 'next of kin' as a 'friend' of Peter (or William) Cairnie, on his WW1 Service Record, and he was subsequently 'shot at dawn'.  Trying to establish relatives etc. of Peter (or William) to find details about is family/birth etc.......  its all very hazy.  >:(

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 September 14 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hazy and confusing on Peter/William's origins isn't  :-\

For background, www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=611504.0

What is your connection to this Peter/William, if any. Is this from a WW1 research angle?

Monica

Added: pdf link not working for me, sorry. Likely only me though  :-\
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 September 14 00:09 BST (UK) »
Ruskie,
She was named as the 'next of kin' as a 'friend' of Peter (or William) Cairnie, on his WW1 Service Record, and he was subsequently 'shot at dawn'.  Trying to establish relatives etc. of Peter (or William) to find details about is family/birth etc.......  its all very hazy.  >:(

Thanks for the explanation c145hoo. Poor Peter and how frustrating to be unable to find any more about him.

Presumably in your searches you have tried spelling variations of that surname?

Sadly there would have been many young lads from poor backgrounds (workhouse etc) join up so perhaps your Peter was one of these and left no paper trail? :-\

Doubly frustrating to just have "Miss Gallagher" and not even a first name - and absolutely no clue about age.  :( All I suppose this might indicate is that Peter had no family?

Offline c145hoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 September 14 15:18 BST (UK) »
MonicaL,
Hazy.  As the official war records have this soldiers service number as Peter Cairnie, and this ties in with the 'Shot at Dawn' data, and this is on his medal card and other war office papers that didn't get bombed/burnt during WW2.  Having seen the Field General Court Martial file, (the same service number) is showing as William Cairnie, hence my comment about Peter / William and the questions why this wasn't picked up during his service / the FGCM and is therefore, in my opinion 'hazy'. 

Thank you for the link on Rootschat, you'll see that I've been around that loop already, with good exchanges with 'Cramond Brig', but not sure anyone is 100% certain which Peter Cairnie it was.....

As the only other 'available' information was 'Miss Gallagher' I thought it might be worth having a look for her, just to see whether anything showed up.  Have found 2 Gallaghers', Esther & a Mary in  Haddington in Scottish Census for 1911, both were 28 in 1911, therefore a bit older that Peter ('William'?).  Not sure if I order the extract if this will show others at their addresses (whatever address they have) or whether I just end up with details of them individually? 

I am doing this for 2 reasons, a). He may be a distant relative. b). He was a volunteer, and therefore didn't deserve his fate, so I'm remembering him on the IWM 'Lives of the First World War' site (https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5442028) and trying to find out a bit more about his past.   :P

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 13:59 BST (UK) »
One possible avenue to check may be the Valuation Rolls. SP have been adding years online on their site, as part of a longer term project.

Currently available to view online around 1916 are 1905, 1915, 1920.

Not sure if you have seen valuation Rolls before. An help guide here from SP www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&2080. Will really only tell you name, tenant/owner, address and occupation.

Checking SP for 1915 with 1 credit gave:

John Gallacher, tenant/occupier. Address House Smith Land at NUNGATE HADDINGTON   HADDINGTON BURGH    - ref. VR37 / 11 / 164

Also showing one more Gallacher that way:

Mary Gallacher, tenant/occupier. Address House Smith Land at NUNGATE HADDINGTON   HADDINGTON BURGH    - ref. VR37 / 11 / 163

Regarding SP and the 1911 census searches you were doing (you don't have to order an extract, you can view this online immediately and cheaper).

SP now let you search a census household entry with a second name. The Esther and Mary Gallacher entries you mention do not seem to show in the same household. This doesn't mean that they are not next door neighbours and connected in some way  ::) You can't tell any more from just the index though...

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
Just as an additional piece of possible info...

Esther as a name is certainly an easier name to look for rather than Mary and specially with the surname Gallacher!

There is this entry in 1901. Not sure if the same Esther you have in Haddington in 1911, but the only Esther showing that I could find around the right age. Everyone showing as born in Ireland except youngest 3:

John Gallocher 53 Insurance Collecter, insurance collector
Mary Ann Gallocher 57
Ann G Gallocher 27
Mary Gallocher 26
Elizabeth Gallocher 24
Bridget Gallocher 20
Esther Gallocher 17 shirt maker b. Glasgow
John Gallocher 15 son b. Glasgow
William Gallocher 10 grandson b. Glasgow

Address: 435 St Vincent St, Glasgow/Anderston

Monica

Added: I think possibility the mother Mary Ann's maiden name may have been Gaffney maybe. Some possible birth entries in Sligo for the 3 eldest girls that could fit this group.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica and c145,
Watching this thread with interest.
Do you think Peter/William Cairnie could be false name?

Looby :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hard to know isn't it. You would think with the amount of attention his case and court martial would have had then and later, something would have come out by now  :-\

Monica

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hard to know isn't it. You would think with the amount of attention his case and court martial would have had then and later, something would have come out by now  :-\

Monica

:-\  Yes - Just confusing the William/Peter mix-up.