Author Topic: Roecliffe Manor Hospital  (Read 10687 times)

Offline fizzix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Roecliffe Manor Hospital
« on: Friday 27 August 04 17:48 BST (UK) »
I have a postcard sent  in 1937 from the Matron to my grandmother about my mother who would have been 5 at the time, to say that she is settling in well. This seems curious to me, to keep in contact with a child in hopital by post! Can anyone shed any light, the thought that occurs is that she had TB. Although this was never mentioned, there was such a stigma back then. Thanks for any help. ???
Walls, James, Waterworth, Coram, Higman, Ecroyd, Battersby, Monk, Hine, Reid, Hancock, Glanville, Hudspith, McDonald, Podesta, Wyatt, Harrison, Scantlebury, Davey, Whiting, Edmonds, Glover, Donnithorne.

"All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline alisontoon

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Roecliffe Manor Hospital
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 02:24 BST (UK) »
I was sent to Roecliff Manor in the early sixties (1963?) after having my tonsils removed, for "convalescence" because there were two younger sisters at home. I was about 5 and I really did not like it there... I remember crying and crying, and eventually my parents came and took me home. We had sweets and treats from our parents that were given out at a set time each day. I think I was afraid of the matron and I just wanted to go home...

But at that time, it was a general convalescence home and kids were there recovering from just about anything.

:-)

Alison
LEICESTERSHIRE: TOON, CARVELL, BONNETT, GASK, COOK, RILEY
KENT: STROUD, ELLIS, SPITTLES
CANADA, ALBERTA and WALES, PEMBROKESHIRE: HUGHES

Offline hoveringham

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 January 05 14:46 GMT (UK) »
hello
i was at roecliffe in november 1958, i have a postcard depicting a photo of the hospital on the front. i was only there for 6 weeks but can't remember much of my stay there, exept that we used to go on long walks around woodhouse. from there i was sent to the isle of wight and stayed there for 10 months. do you have any more info. or contacts on roecliffe?
i will gladly send you a copy of the postcard if you wish.
regards
keith hallam 

Offline Lavendar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 04:11 BST (UK) »
I was at Roecliffe in the mid 50's.  This was prior to having my tonsils removed (at the school clinic in Nottingham).  I was there for 2 months and I was very sad and lonely.
I have a recollection of there being a lift that had some kind of wooden walls!!!!!!  Does anyone remember this lift?
I also remember sitting down at the back of the gardens on visiting day, I think there was a stream running through this area but I am not sure, however, I can recollect hearing running water
My parents did not visit me so I used to sit and watch all the other visitors with their children I think there was a girl called April who used to sit with me.
I would appreciate any information that I hope will jog my memory of my time spent here.
Thanks, in anticipation,
Lavendar Girl

Offline PeterRH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 June 10 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have read the various articles on Roecliffe manor with great interest as I was there today!!  I went on a nostalgia trip as I worked there( 1980-1990) when it was a Lenoard Cheshire Home.
I also have lots of photo's of the place when it was a childrens home/hospital.
The photo's show the different room, all I think, named after nursery rhymes.
My visit today was not a very nice one as the place had been bought, I think, to be converted into a hotel.  It is now going to ruin, the roof has tiles missing the rooms have been walls knocked down the garden are over grown and the place looks awful.  I great shame for what was once a very grand building.
If anyone has any further history on Roecliffe I would love to hear your news.

Offline swiggy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 June 10 11:39 BST (UK) »
I was at Roecliffe in the mid 50's.  This was prior to having my tonsils removed (at the school clinic in Nottingham).  I was there for 2 months and I was very sad and lonely.
I have a recollection of there being a lift that had some kind of wooden walls!!!!!!  Does anyone remember this lift?
I also remember sitting down at the back of the gardens on visiting day, I think there was a stream running through this area but I am not sure, however, I can recollect hearing running water
My parents did not visit me so I used to sit and watch all the other visitors with their children I think there was a girl called April who used to sit with me.
I would appreciate any information that I hope will jog my memory of my time spent here.
Thanks, in anticipation,
Lavendar Girl

Offline swiggy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 June 10 11:46 BST (UK) »
hello
i was at roecliffe in november 1958, i have a postcard depicting a photo of the hospital on the front. i was only there for 6 weeks but can't remember much of my stay there, exept that we used to go on long walks around woodhouse. from there i was sent to the isle of wight and stayed there for 10 months. do you have any more info. or contacts on roecliffe?
i will gladly send you a copy of the postcard if you wish.
regards
keith hallam 
can only remember a place called black rock,that was 1952

Offline Lavendar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 July 10 05:37 BST (UK) »
Dear PeterRH

Could you possibly attach some of those photographs, I would love to see them.
 :)

Thanks

Offline farndongirl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 February 14 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Swiggy I see that you mentioned having a photo of the front of Roecliff manor when it was the children's convalescent hospital. I have searched the internet for a front view of the hospital without any luck until finding your post on here, is there any way you could post this picture, I was at Roecliff in 1962 for 3 months. Thank you.