Author Topic: Fitzharris Kildare  (Read 9150 times)

Offline NeesieC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fitzharris Kildare
« on: Tuesday 06 September 11 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hey everyone im stuck with my family tree search at the Fitzharris's in Kildare

So far I know:
Margaret Fitzharris birth date around 1840 in Kildare
she married Michael Burchell in 1862 & records for her children(william, mary ann, margaret, bridget, rosanna & Eliza) are based around Staplestown, it looks like she had brothers William (wife Mary Ann), Edward, Brien, Michael Fitzharris possibly more.

I was wondering how I might find who Margarets Parents where?

I have a details from roots ireland baptism of an Edward Fitzharris (Margarets brother if the right edward) who's parents are stated as Bryan Fitzharris & Mary Carpenter sponsors "Edward Murray & Ellen Moran".

(John, Bridget & Margaret Murray) where sponsors for Margarets children could this be the connection to her parents???

Any help would be much appriecated  :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzharris Kildare
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 15:22 BST (UK) »
Since the marriage record didn't show a father's name, you have to try other clues.. like baptisms of possible siblings, locations etc  Common sponsor/godparents can give you clues to a possible connection

Have you found other Fitzharris families in the same parish ?

One detail to remember is that not all parishes have records back to 1840, and also RootsIreland dont have records for all the Kildare parishes.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline NeesieC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane, the information i have is from a family tree we had done from a geneologist & that was how far she got so I am trying to make the connections,

Other sponsors of margarets children where: Mary Fogarty, Annie Rourke & Bridget Kelly

The baptism record I found for Edward Fitzharris 1851 has Bryan Fitzharris & Mary Carpenter
sponsors Edward Murray & Ellen Moran. Parish: Clane

another baptism record for a William fitzharris 1837 has Brien (different spelling than above) & Mary (unknown)
sponsors Pat Fitzharris & Mary Costello. Parish: Clane

I found the marriage record for Bryan Fitzharris & Mary Carpenter 23 feb 1835 parish Maynooth.
Witness William Carpenter & James Costello

Denise

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 15:53 BST (UK) »
Clane/Rathcoffey RC records go back to 1821, and Maynooth baptism records to 1814, so if Margaret was baptised in either of these parishes she should have been recorded - although it's possible that some pages are  missing or illegible.

You could follow back those possible Fitzharris couples to see if you can find marriages - if any took place after 1840 then you could eliminate them as potential parents for your Margaret.

Other than Carpenter, the surnames of the godparents are quite common, so it would be difficult to prove they were related.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 15:55 BST (UK) »
do you have dates and place of birth/baptism for Margaret's siblings ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline NeesieC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 16:10 BST (UK) »
the only dates i have for margarets brothers if they are her brothers

are Edward fitzharris 19th Oct 1851 - Clane

William Fitzharris 22nd Jan 1827 - Clane

Margaret Fitzharris (Burchell) was alive in the 1911 census she was still living in kildare & was down as widowed she was 71.

I have applied to see if i can get a death cert. I have tried Irish Origins, Roots Ireland, Family search etc. is there any other sites you could recommend?

Denise

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 16:19 BST (UK) »
The Irish BMD Index on familysearch is the place to search for the references to Margaret's death. RootsIreland has mostly parish records, and most of those included are before 1900. I dont think Origins has civil records.

Death certs dont give that much detail so might not help your search that much. See : Details included on a Death Cert

I can see Margaret living with a Brown family in the townland of Corkeragh - I'll have a search of the index and see if I see any good matches for her death based on this location...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline NeesieC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 16:23 BST (UK) »
Yes the browns where living with Margaret at that time and from talking to family members they remember the Browns being mentioned before from my grandad.

Thanks a mill for your help!

Denise  :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 16:24 BST (UK) »
best possibility I see for Margaret's death is this one :

Name: Margaret Burchell
  Registration district:   Naas
  Event type: Death
  Quarter and year: Jan-Mar 1915
  Volume : 2 / Page: 826

Shane
My Surname Interests