Author Topic: Dumfries-shire, Kerr, Gowanlock, Bell  (Read 10334 times)

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dumfries-shire, Kerr, Gowanlock, Bell
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 April 11 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I spend considerable time on 4 different trees and each of them has many branches.    I have returned to the Kerr/Gowanlock/Carruthers families. 
Finding the will of James Gowanlock found me his spouse, his children and their spouses.  I am still learning lots about researching.  John Kerr's record on scotlandspeople says

John son to William Kerr and Phillie Bell in Todhill=muir was born the 10th day June and baptized the 14th of same month

The part where it says Todhill=muir is my interpretation of the handwriting.   He was born in Lochmaben.  I know the family was at Grahamshall in St Mungo and I understand it was common to name the houses (actually William named his house in Canada as did his son, my grandfather. 

I tried Google and actually find Grahamshall but no Todhill joined to Muir.  Any body have any help for me?

Thanks

Jan

Offline KAMA

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 15:24 BST (UK) »
Todhillmuir is a farm in Lochmaben parish, still very much there today and will be marked on most maps
Henderson,Johnston,Smith,Patterson,Beck,McCormick,

Cowan, Macdonald,Nicolson,McArthur,Armour,McCuaig,Stewart,

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 17:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I just figured out from a will I was reading that when a word is split (end of line) they used and = where we use a hyphen. 

Thanks for your help.!

Jan

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 14:26 BST (UK) »
I appreciate all the help I have had on this thread and others!

new question:

I am reading a very faded will written Broadmeadow, Dumfiresshire 1843.   I think Broadmeadow must be the name of the farm.   Family seems to be in mainly 2 parishes (so far) Lochamaben and St Mungo.   In the will one son is in .......holm.  I can not make out initial letter but the rest looks like innalholm, but I am not sure of anything but the holm part.  A daughter live in what looks like Shellyholm or Shelbyholm.   I have tried googling without success so far.

Hoping someone can help!

Jan

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 18:49 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone may connect.  More info than previous note.

My gg grandfather John Kerr was born 11 June 1801 in Todhillmuir, Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire as were the next 6 siblings.  The last, Thomas was born 1817 St Mungo.   John’s parents were William Kerr and Phillis Bell.

Wm Kerr and Phillie Bell married 20 Dec 1799 in Lochmaben.  I have William's very faded will so know he died Broadmeadow, Hoddam but much is difficult to read.   He may have been born Pleacairn Dalton May 5 1780 to John Kerr and Margaret Esbie but as yet I can find no proof and no father's will that would verify.  He may also have been born 1875 Lochmaben.  At the time of 1841 census, William and Phillis are living at Bankside Yett, St Mungo along with their son Archibald all of which matches perfectly.  There is a 6 year old William Kerr in the house.  Likely grandson to Wm and Phillis and possible son to Archibald. 
This does not correspond to 1844 death of William at Broadmeadow so did they move suddenly?  Wm’s sons Thomas and William are living in England July 1843.  Thomas died in Cumberland, England 1881.  One daughter, Janet living 1843, with husband something like John Hood in something holme.  Archibald was in something like _innalholme.  So far no indication why he is no longer at home of 1841.   Archibald Kerr is not as common as some.  He may have married Mary Grierson in Saquhar in July 1835.  That would make it possible for Wm abt 1835 (1841 census) to be his son. Perhaps remarried to gain mother for Wm?  Perhaps his wife was just away in 1841.
I would love to know who are the parents of Wm abt 1875-1844, and Phillis Bell abt 1781-1842.  Both born and died in Dumfriesshire.
Thanks,
Jan

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 May 11 13:31 BST (UK) »
Janeli_1   who did Thomas marry?
Beaton Bethune, Campbell -  ROC
Mitchell Leslie - Aberdeen
Mackintosh, Anderson (Provost) -  Inverness
Boyle, Mckechnie, McPhail, Fulton  - Ireland, Greenock, Kilbrachan
Pearce, Curnoe/Curnow -  Cornwall
Patterson, Robson, Sloan, Campbell, Dixon, Wilson, Ritson, Hedley, Vipond, Coulson -  South Shields, Sunderland, Northumberland, Cumberland
Kitcheham/Kitchingham, Gage -  Kent

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 May 11 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I don't think Thomas ever married but I am not sure.  I have his birth/baptism record :  Oct 1 and 12, 1817 in St Mungo.   He died Oct 12, 1881 in Wigton, Cumbria and was buried Oct 15, 1881 in St Mungo church yard.  His nephew wrote the following
12th October, 1881

Sir,
Thomas Kerr, my Uncle, Died here this Morning, and his remains are to be interred in St. Mungo's Church Yard, on Saturday, the 15th current.

The favour of your company at Ecclefechan Station to meet the Train, which will stop there by arrangement at 10.5 o'clock a.m. will oblige.

Sir,
Your obedient servant.
JOHN KERR

I think he may have lived at Redhall with his nephew John who took over the farm.  That is a guess. 

So far no luck finding a spouse for Thomas nor do I have him in a census record.  I have census for many of the family from 1841 right through to 1901.   I know he was in England in 1843 and other than that have nothing between baptism and death.  His father's will simply mentions he was in England.  I may yet find a probate for him.

Did you find something?

Jan 

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 May 11 23:16 BST (UK) »
I'm glad you asked the question as new stuff is coming on ancestry all of the time.  I decided to have another look and found probate.  Thomas died at Redhall and executors are 2 nephews.  One John Kerr who ran the farm.  The other is John Hayward.  If the term nephew is used correctly I think Thomas must have been married.  Thomas had only one sister who lived to adulthood and I don't think Hayward was her husband.    I will see if there is a Kerr/Hayward marriage.
Thanks for the prodding!

Jan

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 May 11 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jan -  the connection I met on ancestry has the same parents for your  Thomas. However been (our) Thomas was born 1817 either Ireland or Greenock -  1851 and 1861 census differ and my  Thomas died before the 1881 census -  my connection has thomas having died Oct 1881 and in cumbria.

Beaton Bethune, Campbell -  ROC
Mitchell Leslie - Aberdeen
Mackintosh, Anderson (Provost) -  Inverness
Boyle, Mckechnie, McPhail, Fulton  - Ireland, Greenock, Kilbrachan
Pearce, Curnoe/Curnow -  Cornwall
Patterson, Robson, Sloan, Campbell, Dixon, Wilson, Ritson, Hedley, Vipond, Coulson -  South Shields, Sunderland, Northumberland, Cumberland
Kitcheham/Kitchingham, Gage -  Kent