Author Topic: Army Uniform Identification  (Read 8330 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Army Uniform Identification
« on: Thursday 16 March 06 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Was wondering if there was someone that might be able to help date the attached photo from the uniform he is wearing.

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards
Cazza
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Army Uniform Identification
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 06 14:14 GMT (UK) »
You really need to post this on the miltary board

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Roger Griffiths

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 06 14:17 GMT (UK) »
WWI.

Regards,

Roger
Griffiths Forest of Dean 19th Century
Griffiths Mitcheltroy, Mon. 18th century

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 March 06 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both.  I hadn't realised there was a specific military board, so I have done as you suggested and re posted it there.

I was hoping it was WWI.  Fingers crossed someone can tell about the uniform itself, which to me just doesn't look quite right.

Cheers
Cazza  :)
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Roger Griffiths

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 March 06 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Looks OK to me for WWI. I used to have a book on cap badges etc. but not now, so can't tell you what regiment. I will do a Google search and see if I can find anything.

Roger
Griffiths Forest of Dean 19th Century
Griffiths Mitcheltroy, Mon. 18th century

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 April 06 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hello, Cazza,

I am not an authority on Army uniforms but I have asked my husband to have a look ( ex.regular army). We both agree that is more than likely WW!, narrow trousers & general look of the fabric.

One or two things just don't look right tho'.   Lack of any insignia except  for the hint of a small flash of some kind on the right sleeve top.  Soft top cap with a small brim, can't recall seeing that with any regular army uniform. Then there are those 3 inverted chevrons on the right sleeve cuff.  We both picked up on that & said that they sometimes signifed war wounds.  Then that made me think about work battalions where men who were classified as not fit for front line service were sent after being wounded, I believe they wore a similar type of simple uniform.    I also seem to remember seing ambulance corps drivers wearing a soft top cap & it is not an elaborate cap badge either.  Also, the boots could have done with a cleanup.

When I first saw the uniform, soft cap & high neck & the inverted chevrons I thought of American army. It might be an idea not to rule that out.  Musn't forget they were  here in WW1 as well.

Good luck, I hope somene can come up with the answer.

Melrioa

RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hello, Cazza,

More thoughts on this soft top cap.  My husband has reminded me that both Canadian & Australian forces in WW1 wore these soft caps. Check out this website just for the fun of it>>

www.kaiserbunker.com

www.kaiserbunker.com/cef/headgear

I also think I have seen photos of ground crew mechanics of the Royal Flying Corps with this type of cap.

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 13:34 BST (UK) »
The cap badge look's like Border Regt;uniform's of WW1(and later)weren't noted for their sartorial elegance,Iknow whereof  I speak!Most 'fit was done by owner's,at great peril,again,personal experience.This one does look odd, soft cap,ex front line feller?jacket too big because of wastage of body,illness or wound's,trouser's,short to keep from the mud,boot's very well broken in+well used,like the look of those shin breaking sole's!!
Not too sure of the stripes tho',dont lookto be securely stitched on somehow.
Well that's my two pennorth!!
         Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 13:38 BST (UK) »
P.S. The way he seem's to be 'holding' himself,look's like,or similar to, a broken collar bone.Any nurses on the forum?
                     Goggy. ;) ;D