Author Topic: Joseph Cox b 1804  (Read 43142 times)

Offline DEN95DEB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Joseph Cox b 1804
« on: Friday 22 April 05 09:18 BST (UK) »
My G G Grandfather Joseph Cox was born at Cashel, County Tipperary, Ireland in 1804. The Cox's were Protestant and Joseph’s father William Cox was a Barrister. Tipperary was the storm centre of emigration to 19th century Australia. Standing on the Rock of Cashel you can look over the warm, grassy plain of the Golden Vale of Ireland and the parishes that sent hundreds of young men and women to Australia's shore.
Joseph’s first wife Ann had been married to a cousin of Joseph, Oliver Cox who had died. Prior to his death Oliver had asked Joseph to care for his wife and children should he not survive. Joseph did as Oliver had requested and married Ann on 28 May 1827 at the Church of Ireland, Parish of Stradbally in the Clanwilliam Barony, County Limerick.
Joseph Cox and his family departed Ireland from Cork Harbour by sea on 05 August 1836 to travel to Port Jackson, New South Wales. The ship they travelled on was the “Lady McNaughton”. Eight children accompanied Joseph and his first wife Ann. Joseph and Ann had three daughters Eliza, Isabella, Catherine and one son William,
Would love to contact anybody who can help me to find more information on Joseph's family before he left Ireland.
Thanks Dennis Cox in OZ

Offline DJLandW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Cox b 1804
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 July 07 15:29 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Eliza Cox and was very interested to have the information relating to Joseph and Oliver, the place names and dates of marriage. I understood they left Cork Harbour on 5/11 1836 arriving  in May 1837. As you will know, Ann and the two youngest children died at sea on route, apparently there was an outbreak of measles and typhus on board and the ship was quarantined on arrival. I would be very interested in sharing any information you have of your ancestors after arrival here and which line you are descended from.

Offline DEN95DEB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 07 06:48 BST (UK) »
Wow it's been over 2 years since I posted that Info and you are the first to answer. Eliza married Martin Ryan, and I don't know alot about their descendants [maybe you can help] but I will help with whatever I can. (*)
Cheers
Dennis Cox

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Stude51

« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 December 09 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dennis,

Not sure if you are still around but I am also related to Joseph Cox (and to his second wife, Mary).

I live about 2 hours from their properties in Wagga Wagga, NSW.

I would love to have a chat with you for further info.

Cheers

Offline DJLandW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 December 09 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes I am still around. Which of Joseph and Mary's line do you descend from?  I visited Wagga last year and had a great time visiting all the relatives in the cemetery including the graves for Joseph and Mary.  Do you have any photos of the ancestors. I have one very old photo of the Withers clan but apart from that, very little.
Cheers, Donna. (I am descended from Eliza Cox and Martin Ryan through their son, Joseph Henry Ryan and have a fair bit of information on this line. The other contact in this thread is my cousin Dennis Cox and I also received considerable information about his line as well).

Stude51

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 December 09 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donna,

I descend from Joseph's son, John Mathew and his son, Frederick Lawrence. It took me ages to work out all the children and the marriages!  :D

Unfortunately Frederick Lawrence died relatively young and we have no family photos.

The Wagga cemetary is a bit of a buzz, isn't it?
Just look for the biggest graves and there are the Coxes.

I am pretty sure that there are still Cox relatives living on the original Mangoplah property of John Cox.

Cheers

Joanne

Offline DJLandW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 December 09 00:28 GMT (UK) »
I have a John Mathew with a son Frederick Livingstone Cox married to a Linda Montgomery - is that your line? I would be grateful to see your line so I can add it in.  If you want to have a look at ours you can see it online at www.tribalpages.com.  Under Site ID enter  djwandl  (go) then the password Darwin.  You can track up and down the generations. The Coxes are on my mother's father's line - Ryans to Coxes.  Under  "Tree"  "Family" dropdown menu. My grandfather Joseph would have been Frederick's first (half) cousin.  His father, Martin, was a convict from Ireland who was transported at the age of sixteen or seventeen for trying to rob a pub. (He failed!  >:() Martin married Eliza Cox from Joseph Cox's first marriage to Ann Conway. She died on the boat coming over as did their two youngest children who are buried at the Quarantine Station in Sydney.  THe ship was the notorious "Lady McNaghten" which was riddled with typhus. Yet the survivors managed to found the huge Cox dynasty.

Stude51

« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 December 09 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donna,

Having a look at the tribalpages it looks to be the same line. but some of the details differ.

We have John Mathew (who appears to be the same YAY!) married to Mary Bridget Roohan and I have a list of 16 of their children. I am not sure if they are all theirs (poor woman) but I do know that  Frederick Lawrence was their son, born in 1882 at Oberne, NSW.
Frederick had red hair, was a vet and married a very stern woman by the name of Mary Fahey. He died of an abdominal aneurysm in 1933, when my grand mother was only only about 7 or 8. They had 4 daughters. He died in Yass.

I assume the name Livingstone came from Joseph Cox's original property, Livingstone Gully but as far as I am aware none of the children were named that. We also have Joseph Cox born in 8th July, 1807, his parents as William Cox and Jane Stewart.
I am still researching and talking to locals, trying to piece together the information.

Cheers
Joanne

Stude51

« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 December 09 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Actually, I have a copy of Josephs death certificate here where it states his father as William and a farmer. (Wierd thing is that the informant of the death was his son, William).