Author Topic: Joseph Cox b 1804  (Read 43172 times)

Offline anneonymous

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Cox b 1804
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 June 10 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hello, hello

I am also a descendent of Joseph Cox born 1805 at Cahel. I have the following information which is taken from page one of chapter one of a PhD dissertation on on the Cox family of Wagga Wagga.

"Joseph Cox was ... at least the fourth generation to occupy an estate near Cashel. The Cox family had apparently been traditionally allied with the professions - principaly law and medicine. Richard Frederick Cox  relates the following amazing tale of Joseph's family having early acquired an expensive lease of town land in Cashel which brough a correspondingly large income through rental. the family regarded the lease as sound for 99 years, but on the death of Joseph's father, the lease was found to be valid only for 'three lives', his father being the third generation to hold the lease. The Cox family twice took their case to law, spending a great deal of money in the process and having finally lost, they were ruined.
Eventually, Joseph went to County Limerick where his paternal uncle, a surgeon, employed him as an assistant. Dring Joseph' term with his uncle - probably in about 1824 - he was called to the bedside of his uncle's dying son. Before dying, this cousin extracted a promise from Joseph that he would look after his wife and four children. Joseph did more than that: within two years, he married Ann Cox and became stepfather to his four second cousins.
Joseph and Ann produced four children of their own, and when the youngest of these, William, was nine months old, Joseph and Ann with their eight children boarded the Lady Macnaghten at Cork Harbour. They came as assisted immigrants."

Here my information runs out, but I think I know where to find more, though it will take some weeks.

Anneonymous

Offline DJLandW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 June 10 01:09 BST (UK) »
Do you know where I can get a copy of the dissertation. I knew there was a PhD around called "The Coxes of Livingstone Gully" but I don't know which university it was submitted to. With regard to the "William Cox" on Joseph's death certificate, that would be his son, Willliam, born 1844 from his marriage with Mary Moloney, obviously not the William who died at sea.

Offline anneonymous

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 June 10 05:19 BST (UK) »
I have been told the probable location of at least one copy of the thesis. it's with a genealogy society which is in the process of relocating it's premises. I must have the permission of the owner of the document before I can access it when the move is over - shouldn't be a problem - however it will take time because of these considerations.
Anne

Offline DJLandW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 June 10 06:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I have considerable information on the Cox family from their arrival, but I'm not sure how you are related or how much infomration you already have. Let me know.

Offline anneonymous

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 04:53 BST (UK) »
I'm just embarking on my search. Some years ago I read the thesis and I seem to remember that my forebear, son of the influential John,  was also called John. I don't think that my ancestor of this generation was a particularly good farmer and I can find very little about him, though I'll know more when I get to see the thesis again. I think that my ancestor (John?) had thirteen children, one of whom, Frederick Cox, was my grandfather. He only had daughters so my twig of the family tree has lost the surname Cox.
Anne

Offline DJLandW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 12:00 BST (UK) »
I have a number of Fredericks! Is your grandfather Frederick William, Frederick Livingstone, Frederick Keith or Frederick H? None of them seemed to have only daughters though.

Offline anneonymous

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 22:04 BST (UK) »
I really must do more research - perhaps there is a generation I'm missing. Anne

Offline dianehutson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 April 11 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna,
WHAT RESEARCH HAVE YOU DONE INTO COX /RAYN TREE AND WHERE DO YOU LIVE.

I descend from Joseph's son, John Mathew and his son, Frederick Lawrence. It took me ages to work out all the children and the marriages!  :D

Unfortunately Frederick Lawrence died relatively young and we have no family photos.

The Wagga cemetary is a bit of a buzz, isn't it?
Just look for the biggest graves and there are the Coxes.

I am pretty sure that there are still Cox relatives living on the original Mangoplah property of John Cox.

Cheers

Joanne

Offline dianehutson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 April 11 07:47 BST (UK) »
IF LOOKING FOR COX HISTORY TRY CHARLES STURT UNI ,WAGGA WAGGA FAMILY HISTORY CENTRE AS I HAVE DEPOSTED FAMILY REES. PLUS OTHER ITEMS UNDER COX CAN BEE COPIED.I ALSO HAVE PHOTOS OF  OLD JOSEPH COX HOUSE AT LIVINGSTONE GULLY.
SADLY COX PROPERTY WAS SOLD DUE TO NO MALE HEIR.
I AM DECENDANT OF MARTIN RYAN AND ELIZA COX. THIS TREE HAS BEEN DONE AND BEEN TO IRELAND TO VISITED HOUSE MARTINS PARENTS LIVED IN DUBLIN.
DIANE HUTSON BRISBANE QLD.