Author Topic: kyles-coyles donegal -kilsyth-fife  (Read 10754 times)

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
kyles-coyles donegal -kilsyth-fife
« on: Saturday 08 September 12 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hello
The first ancestors I've found are John Kyle born around 1815 & Helen McIntyre - the family left Donegal for Kilsyth (Scotland), and High Spen (N. England), then my grandfather for Fife. (Scotland) I am going to Donegal in November and would like to find out where exactly they came from in Donegal so that I can walk in their footsteps. And from the name Kyle perhaps they were originally from Scotland which I would also like to trace.
Would appreciate some help.
Warmly & Sincerely

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: kyles-coyles donegal -kilsyth-fife
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 September 12 12:09 BST (UK) »
have a look on this site
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal

have you no townland name or area in Donegal you are looking for?

when you go on the site I gave you go down the page to Basic search then type in Kyle

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, with so little information it is really difficult to trace a name in Donegal also as the birth is long before the beginning of civil registration of births(1865) only some church records exist mainly for the established church (Church of Ireland)
If you follow rathmore's link then you will see that there were quite a few Kyles living in the parish of Inver in the 19C.

I did a search of records for the whole of Donegal for the birth John Kyle 1815 +/- 5 years and found 1 record

John Kyle  baptised Inver CoI church in 1819, father William Kyle, mother Margery, without further evidence it would be taking a leap to suggest that this is your John but it may give you something to go on

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 12:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your help - I'll look into this at the weekend when I have better access to a computer.

After this generation, they went to Kilsyth - I wondered if Helen McIntyre might not have been easier to trace as the name is maybe a bit more unusual than John Kyle - particularly as I've seen different spellings of Kyle. Or maybe a record of their marriage?

All the information I have to date is that they were from Donegal and went to Kilsyth.
Anyway - thanks again, I'll see what I can find at the weekend.
Warmly & Sincerely

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 14:46 BST (UK) »
If Helen was from Ireland she might have been known as Ellen (that form of the name is  more common in Ireland) not Helen.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 September 12 22:00 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering (perhaps a stretch of the imagination :)) whether John Kyle & Helen McIntyre weren't originally Scottish and their children went to Kilsyth because they still had family there.
 I find it a bit strange that both have Scottish names - I'd have understood it better if they'd been Protestant & Ulster Scots but they were Catholic for generations.
Are tbere really so many people with Scottish surnames in Donegal ?
Bon weekend
Warmly & Sincerely

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 September 12 22:06 BST (UK) »
Ireland is full of 'Scottish' names nd there's a long history of migration between the two countries.

Using the 1901 and 1911 census records (because they are only 10 years apart and readily available to search)-

KYLE-
1911 = 37 in Donegal (999 in all Ireland)
1901 = 57 in Donegal

McINTYRE
1911 = 302 in Donegal
1901 = 353 in Donegal
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 September 12 22:32 BST (UK) »
Wow  :)

OK thanks for the info - actually I must admit when I was growing up in Fife (although I didn't realise it at the time) there were loads of Irish surnames in the area  :)
So I suppose it's not so surprising
Warmly & Sincerely

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 September 12 23:04 BST (UK) »
Although I'd assumed that the Irish came to Scotland and England because there was more work with the coal mines - I hadn't realised it was quite such a two way traffic.
Warmly & Sincerely