Author Topic: Probate Record, Shipley, Sussex - 1771  (Read 6213 times)

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
Re: Probate Record, Shipley, Sussex - 1771
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 17:29 GMT (UK) »
PS  Just rereading the posts.  Sorry if Nanny Jan is not MargP - I was rushing when reading and replying.  :-[

I have not tried NA.  I can do so tonight.  Again, apologies for the name mixup.
Hi, I have checked on both NA and Ancestry and its not there
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Lisa, found a tree on Ancestry which gives a baptism for Thomas Parker of 1716 at Shipley (Familysearch confirms this)  He was the son of Thomas Parker (1674 -) & Sarah Surgeon (1690 -)  They married 19/6/1711 Shipley.
Strange that the marriage of Thomas junior to a Sarah is not showing on the Sussex Marriage Index.

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 18:11 GMT (UK) »
There is a Shipley History Society with an email address for the secretary should you wish to pick their brains  :)  http://shipleyhistory.wordpress.com/

Jane

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Looking at the record you have found on Ancestry, I think it may be Administration, therefor there may not be a Will

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 February 14 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margp and Jane:

Thank you again for your interest in this thread and for your continued help and suggestions.  I will try the Shipley History Society to see if they might have suggestions.  Thank you for stating that it might not be a will.

My Cooper/Parker ancestor (William and Susannah Cooper's granddaughter) settled in Ontario, Canada in 1857.  A few years ago, a family friend (he is American, I am Canadian and we both live in California) and I were talking about genealogy.  We started talking about our English ancestors and as it turns out, his Cooper ancestor lived in Horsham at the same time that my Vaus ancestors were living there!  We've wondered if our Coopers could be related (since my Coopers were living nearby in Shipley), but since Cooper was most likely a common name, it has been difficult to pursue this idea.  It would be an amazing coincidence if we were to find out that we are distantly related!

Again, thank you for your help.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 February 14 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane:

Looking at the Ancestry tree, apparently one child of Thomas Parker and Sarah Surgeon was Philip.  Apparently, Sarah Parker had a sister named Philadelphia.  Since Philadelphia is a somewhat unique name, I've wondered why she was given that name.  Perhaps she was named after her uncle?

I will try to follow up on Thomas Parker and Sarah Surgeon's children, to see if there might be any indication that these people are related.

Thank you both for your help.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 February 14 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

You could check the list of people in the tree, to see if any of your ancestors are there

Margp
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 February 14 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Philadelphia was quite a popular name in these times, particularly in Sussex for some reason :-\

Jane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 February 14 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margp:  Regarding the tree, Thomas Parker was born in 1716 and died in 1771.  They do not show a wife or children.   :-\

Jane:  It's good to know that Philadelphia was a popular name then; that could explain things.

Thomas Parker (1716-1771) apparently was buried in Shipley, in St. Mary's churchyard.  When I have time tonight, I will check to see how many churches were in the Shipley area.  My Vaus ancestor (who died 1796) was buried in St. Mary's cemetery and I believe it was his son who donated a bell to St. Mary's.  It will be interesting to see if St. Mary's was one of many churches in the area, or one of a handful - was it just coincidence that they were buried in the same cemetery, or did the families have connections.   ;)

PS  Again, thank you for your help.