Author Topic: Old Military Prison Dover 1916  (Read 3693 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Old Military Prison Dover 1916
« on: Sunday 30 December 07 05:30 GMT (UK) »
Any details please re above.
What would rank T.A.E stand for?
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: Old Military Prison Dover 1916
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 December 07 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with the rank but the military prison was on the cliffs behind the castle, above the North Fall Meadow.  It is now the National Trust White Cliffs Visitor Centre.

The prisoners used to be brought by van to the bottom of the cliff path at Athol Terrace and made to walk up the steep incline to the prison.

Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 December 07 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help Bill.
I have a wedding certificate for Aug 10 1916,the groom gives his profession as "Sapper" and his residence at the time of marriage Old Military Prison Dover.The wedding took place Holy Trinity Hounslow.
It is not clear if he is working there or if he was an inmate.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 December 07 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Sapper suggests the Royal Engineers, so perhaps he was engaged on maintenance work, or maybe converting the prison into barracks.  I'm not sure, but the prison might already have been converted, as it was referred to as the "Old" prison.

I don't think he would have been let out to get married if he was an inmate!
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 December 07 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Bill.
The man I am looking for is Percy William Harry bC1891 Swaffham Norfolk.
The marriage I referred to apparently failed.He travelled a lot but returned to England C1933.He may have married again.
Percy had a brother Gilbert who came to Australia.He joined the A.I.F and was highly decorated.

Offline curiousk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 October 14 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,
I just found this old thread whilst searching for "Old Military Prison" which appears on a marriage certificate as the groom's residence. The word after "Old Military Prison" didn't make sense, it's not "Dover" but the groom was in the London Electrical Engineers, and was stationed in Dover.

In fact, yesterday I received an image of a "school photo" of No. 3 Company, London Electrical Engineers, Dover, March 1916 with a name index at the foot...including Spr Harry...coincidence?

It's my understanding that the LEE were using the hospital of the prison as barracks; they were manning searchlights.

I've been a member of Roots Chat for years but I think this is my first post so can't PM yet.

Kelvin

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 October 14 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Kelvin
I think I may have initiated this query.
I was researching a possible "Harry" connection.
It concerned a Percy Harry who had apparently married at the " Old Military Prison ."
I couldn't determine what he was doing at the prison.
He was an electrical engineer and may have been involved in secretive war work.
Your find may help to explain.Was Percy Harry stationed there?
I appreciate your contribution.

A daughter of Percy Harry had corresponded with me.He had disappeared from her life when she was a young girl.She didn't know what had become of him.Unfortunately she died a few years back.

Gilbert Harry,a brother of Percy came to Australia,was a war hero.He was highly decorated and this is a story in itself.

With thanks

Rex ( Harry )

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 October 14 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Kelvin
Would it be convenient to let me have a copy of the image?
This must be Percy Harry.
What a shame his daughter has died.

I think Percy had been a choir boy at Westminster.
There is fascinating information about his brother Gilbert Harry.

I am trying to link my Harry family who came from St Austell Cornwall.Percy had family there also.

You may need to activate the PM system so that I can give you my email address.

With thanks Rex ( Lazarus )

Offline curiousk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 October 14 15:36 BST (UK) »
Bill,
I've been searching for information on the London Electrical Engineers, found various scattered items on the internet, unfortunately the search argument brings up plenty of modern electrical contractors from London. But take a look at the wikipedia item, seems prime role was manning searchlights, nothing secretive. Some of them had a background in electrical engineering and related research.

Cheers,
Kelvin