Author Topic: Kate Mary Sargent  (Read 11295 times)

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kate Mary Sargent
« on: Monday 25 July 11 00:35 BST (UK) »
I would like to find a birth/baptism for Kate/Kathleen. Father was Michael Sargent and mother Ann Tracy. I think she was born abt 1858/59. Familysearch has the birth of 4 siblings but is missing at least 3 and maybe as many as 6. Kate gave her age as 26 when she immigrated to Australia in 1885.
There is a Michael Sargent in the 1901 census with 3 daughters.If this is the correct Michael then he would have been abt 17/18 when Kate was born assuming his age(59) is correct

Ed
Pickering E Yorkshire, Ontario Can
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Kate Mary Sargent
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 July 11 10:05 BST (UK) »
The extracted birth collection on Familysearch which shows the details of children of Michael and Ann is based on Civil records which only started in 1864. To search for earlier records you would need to check parish records.

Some of these births took place somewhere in the Cappoquin Distirct. A birth cert for one or more of these children would show a more detailed location and should help determine the correct Co. Waterford parish to search.

e.g.

Name Ellen Sargint
  Birth date: 08 Oct 1870
  Birthplace: Cappoquin, Waterford    (Sub District)
  Ref. : 817
  Parent : Michael Sargint  & Anne Tracy

You can use the page reference to help locate the correct references on the BMD Index

Do you know what denomination the family were ?

see :

Introduction to Irish Records
   My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 July 11 12:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane

Family were Catholic
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 July 11 12:44 BST (UK) »
If it turns out they were born somewhere near to the town and in the RC parish of Cappoquin, then the National Library microfilm to check is Pos. 2467. This hold baptisms from 1810 and marriages from 1807.

It would probably be a good idea to follow up on the civil birth records for at least one of the siblings to establish a townland or address. Civil records often show additional detail compared to parish records - e.g. father's occupation, place of birth and place of residence (can be useful if these are different), informant etc

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline erinsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 July 13 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hello , I am also looking for this Sargent group. Kate Mary came to Australia along with a sister and brother James Matthew Sargent. I acquired a certificate for the births that are civil for the older children and they are born in Castle Street, Cappoquin. BUT still cannot find anything of parents Michael and Ann Tracy. Have not found births for Kate , James (pre civil). It is a mystery . Have  you advanced any further.  Sargent in Cairns who married into my Andersons ( also ex Waterford) here in Australia. My cousin is direct descendant of James Matthew and we are at a loss to where they came from and went to. Also they don't seem to be related to the other Sargents in Cappoquin.  We have complete history of family here in OZ but no luck yet in Waterford. Hope to hear from you and join the dots.
Cowell, Hoener, Frazier, Christopher, Dyer, Cheshire

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 July 13 17:19 BST (UK) »
I am in the same position as you - stuck. It certainly is a mystery re Michael and Ann. My connection to Charles and Kate is through the mother of Charles - Mary Jane Hobson and her mother Rosey Pickering. If interested I can provide info re this line.
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 July 13 14:35 BST (UK) »
I found this on the Waterford County Library website in the death registers of the family history section. Date of death 11th March 1868, place Castle Street, name Cornelius Sargint, age, 11 months old, rank carpenters child, tabes, influenza, informant Mary Tracy, qualification present at death, district, Cappoquin. There are other Sargints, Sargents in the index of the death registers.

Offline erinsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 July 13 01:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. I saw these as well. I assume that they are Michael Sargint/Ann Tracy's children excpet that I have seen 2 Cornelius born . One to Michael/Ann and one to Ellen Tracy. I cannot get a picture from it though as I cannot find a marriage for Michael/Ann or their births/deaths and cannot make the link to the other SARGENTS in Cappoquin.  I think that the spelling SARGINT as opposed to SARGENT is not a typo as it has been repeatedly used on the births in Civi registrations. The christian names are not consistent with SARGENTs in Cappoquin. Bamboozled still.

Offline erinsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 July 13 05:37 BST (UK) »
I looked at the Waterford Library Death registers as advised.  The Michael in the 1901 census was a widower and died in 1902. There is an Ann who died in 1893 who also lived in Mill St and was a carpenters wife .  Anne was 10 years older than Michael . The dob for the 3 older children who came to Australia are a bit suspect as the passenger lists has the sisters marked a few years younger. (There are a couple of the other daughters still awol though).

This Michael had additional  3 daughters in the 1901 census so I looked for their births in the Civil Registers as they would be born Bridget 1876, Margaret 1878 and Helena 1880 . BUT I cannot find them. Am I doing something wrong.

if I could find them then I could at least get a birth certificate to see if they are daughters of the same Michael and Ann.

Anyone have any suggestions as why they don't seem to be in the register?