Author Topic: McGrath Brothers County Waterford to Cape Breton  (Read 3253 times)

Offline rockybayirish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGrath Brothers County Waterford to Cape Breton
« on: Thursday 30 January 14 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Three McGrath brothers Michael (b. abt. 1800), John (b. abt. 1803) & James (b. abt 1808) arrived in the British colony of Cape Breton circa 1819 from County Waterford, Ireland. I have a very extensive family tree from 1820 which includes relatives throughout Canada, USA and Australia. Their home in Ireland is elusive however. Verbal history places the point of origin in the Dungarvan, Youghal, Clashmore region. Their neighbors in Cape Breton are Hearns, Powers & Flynns from Dungarvan and Keatings, Kehoes & Doyles from just over the border in Wexford. I understand the difficulty of my task but genealogy is all about trying. Any help is appreciated.

Offline McGrath Clan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McGrath Brothers County Waterford to Cape Breton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 April 16 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
There are a lot of McGraths in that area of Waterford. Many are related. Do you have a birth cert for any of them, this may help shed some light. It's probable that they were of Clashmore origin but as this is only a village, Youghal and Dungarvan would be the towns.

There will some McGraths from the Clashmore area attending the McGrath Clan Gathering 2016 which is been held in Dungarvan, which is 12-15 minutes drive away. June 23-26th.