Author Topic: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 37231 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 13:25 BST (UK) »
On 7 May 
Thomas Gaunt my 3 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St John the Baptist Church, Penistone, Yorkshire in 1775

Joseph Benson my 2 x g.g.uncle (although he may actually be the son of one of his “sisters” as probably was my 2 x g.grandfather, so making the relationship different) was baptised at St Mary’s Parish Church, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1837.

Dennis Pake my 4 x g.g.uncle was baptised at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire in 1766

Hugh d’Aubigny my 21st g.g.uncle died in 1243.  Hugh, Earl of Sussex and Earl of Arundel was said to have been about 9 years old at the time of his brother William's death in 1224.  On 10 May 1235, he was of age and had gained all his castles, which until then had been held by the King.  His wardship was obtained by the famous Justiciar (probably equivalent to Prime Minister today), Hubert de Burgh, Earl of Kent on 14 July 1227.  He died on 7 May 1242 and was buried with his ancestors at at Wymondham Abbey. His widow Isabel did not re- marry but became an important countess who founded the Cistercian Abbey at Marham and may have been buried at Convent Church Marham. I am descended from one of his sisters and despite the fact that when Hugh died, his estate was divided between his 4 sisters, unfortunately, it seems to have been lost by the time it came down to the modern descendants  :'(

Elizabeth Tubbs my 2 x g.g.aunt was buried at Holbeach in 1836

Mary Uffindel my 6 x g.g.aunt was buried at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire in 1701.  She was only just over 3 months old.

James Bagshawe and (H)Ellen Hudson my 9 x g.grandparents were married at St Nicholas’ Church, Bradfield, Yorkshire in 1604

Martha Collett my 8 x g.g.aunt married Samuel Jellow at Westerfield, Suffolk in 1612

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 06:49 BST (UK) »
On this day Catalina Brewster and John Pickford married in Bromley, Kent, in 1692.
Catalina was youngest daughter of Edward Brewster and Dorothy Neesham. HE was born in GLoucester and came to London and was an apothecary and citizen of London, however he died when Catalina was one. His widow remarried an they moved to Leicestershire. However Catalina went back to her home parish to marry.

John Pickford was born in Macclesfield to a wealthy family. After the marriage they initial moved to Aylestone in Leicestershire, but in about 1700 JOhn then purchased the lease of Ashton Old Hall in Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire, where they settled.

They had 9 children in the two locations (also one in Oldham) but three died young
John died in 1726 and Catalina in 1730, both in Ashton.

John unusually for Pickford, left no will

Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 08:19 BST (UK) »
8th May 2009 .. I lost my precious sister, we  battled  all our lives, but how I miss her now.

xin

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 08:49 BST (UK) »
Born today in 1828 in Tabernacle Row, London;  Rebecca Bailey my 3xgt. aunt.  Daughter of James and Hamutal (nee Page). She was baptised a few weeks later at St. Luke, Old Street. My last sighting of her is on 1871 census.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 10:50 BST (UK) »
On 8 May
Benjamin Collett my 2 x g.g.uncle was baptised at Fressingfield, Suffolk in 1803

Alice Mutton (nee Randal) my 5 x g.grandmother was baptised at Sutton, Isle of Ely, Cambridgeshire in 1707

Jonathan Bagshaw my 6 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Nicholas’ Church, Bradfield, Yorkshire in 1674

Elizabeth Tubbs my 2 x g.g.aunt was baptised in Holbeach, Lincolnshire in 1837.  This was exactly a year and a day after her namesake was buried aged just over 3 months.  Bizarre to baptise the next child so close to the date of the burial of the other one.

Hannah Wilkinson (nee Pemberton) my g.g.aunt died at 341 Oldham Road, Manchester in 1867.  The cause of her death was cancer of the uterus. 

Samuel Collett my 7 g.g.uncle was buried at Westerfield, Suffolk in 1681.  Unusually for the time, I think, he wasn’t buried until 2 weeks after his death.

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 15:09 BST (UK) »
On 8 May

In 1900 my 1st cousin once removed, Louisa Florence Conquest, was born in Walworth, Southwark, London.  She was the daughter of William George Conquest and Eliza Jane Stevens, and married Oliver George Mew in 1921.

Clara Rosina Wilson, nee Giovannelli, my great grandmother, died in 1924 at Leytonstone, aged 81.  It has been interesting researching her family, but difficult at times because of the many variations in the spelling of her Italian surname.  She also caused me a problem by calling herself Clara, when her birth was registered simply as Rosina.

Lastly, my great aunt, Forence Rosina Wilson, daughter of Clara, above, and Frederic Sewell Wilson, died in 1956, in Watford, Hertfordshire, aged 79.  She married Cyril Kemp in 1904, but he sadly died in France in 1917 - she didn't remarry.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 09 May 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
On 9 May
Ernest Walter Benson my uncle (my dad’s elder brother) was born in Blackley, Manchester in 1910.  He was a semi-professional pianist and I have a letter sent to my dad during the war from a friend that said he was going to play at a concert in Glasgow where he expected to be seen by a top agent and become a professional musician, when a certain Mr Hitler got in the way and dropped a bomb. :o

Maria Ormond Boyers my 1st cousin 4 times removed was born in Lincolnshire in 1849

Mary Gilchrist (nee Lenton) my 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Swithin’s Church, Lincolnshire in 1801

Robert Gaunt another 1st cousin 4 times removed was baptised at St John the Baptist Church, Penistone, Yorkshire in 1793

Bridget Goad (nee Postlethwaite) my 5 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Mary’s Parish Church, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1725

William Benson my g.g.uncle died in Ireleth, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1859 aged just under 2 months.  The cause of death was whooping cough for 4 weeks, so the poor baby had whooping cough for half his very short life.

Joseph Barnett who would have been my g.aunt’s brother in law, died in Southwell, Nottingham in 1874 aged 3.  It seems his mother left him and his 5 year old brother alone whilst she went out for a short time.  The two boys went to the tan yard next to their house, where their father was a foreman and Joseph tumbled into a lime pit.  His death was registered by the coroner who doesn’t mention anything other than accidental death, but there is a long newspaper report about the inquest.

Lucy Hobson my 3 x g.g.aunt was buried at All Hallows Church, Almondbury, Yorkshire in 1778.  She was 4 years old.

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 09 May 13 18:50 BST (UK) »
On 8th May 1842 - Margaretha Brück in Kocherstetten, Baden-Württemberg, Germany - my great grandmother.

Margaretha emigrated to England, married Johann Friedrich Hermann Pfisterer in the Parish Church Rotherham, Yorkshire in 1864, bore him two sons, and died 1893 Doncaster.
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 09 May 13 23:31 BST (UK) »
On this day 10th May  1874 my G g grandfather, Mathias Gaunt,  died in Launceston Tasmania.  He'd arrived in Tassie on the Eliza in 1831 with his wife and four children and went on to be a very successful farmer, flour miller, vigneron - and member of the Anti-Transportation League (not sure whether I am proud of him for the last bit as n=his motives weren't the best)

His obituary say he was 80, but he was baptised in 1796 - so something isn't right - or he was baptised at the age of two!. He is supposed to have been a surgeon in the RN before coming to Australia - but I can find no evidence of that at all - still looking.  He was a surgeon according to his daughter's baptism records - that's as close as I can get - oh yes - and we have a ceremonial sword of his from his time in the Navy- so why can't I find the records.

He and his wife had 15 children in all, some didn't live long, and three of them died in one year of tragedy - from drowning and different illnesses.

His wife required him to build her a church, if she was to come to this foreign and untamed land with him, so he did - he named it St Mathias!   ::)  Here's a photo of it.    (I bet he had convict help!  ;))
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.