Author Topic: MYLES WHELAN  (Read 11495 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MYLES WHELAN
« on: Sunday 15 September 13 17:44 BST (UK) »
My greatgrandparents were William Whelan and Margaret Redmond their son William 1870 was my grandfather he had about 9 siblings.
I was just wondering would any one on roots chat have any info on two of his brothers, Myles and Peter at no 1 Ballynaas Great,Mayglass,Wexford in 1911.The only info i have on Peter is he married Anne Harpur in 1914.
on the 1911 census there are two Myles Whelan's and on family search there are two marriages one in 1911 and one in 1918 trying to use a bit of logic to discount one,i found a prison register in 1913 for a Myles Whelan with next of kin usually father, Patrick, so i think i can exclude him from the first marriage. The 1911 marriage July Sep Wexford vol 4 pge 375 has 4 matches
Ellen Aylward
Jane Cousins
Margaret Hayes
and funnily enough Annie Harpur same as his bros wife.I will be ordering the cert next week but in the meantime was just wondering if anyone recognises the names,would be greatful for any info Dathai.

Offline lochanee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MYLES WHELAN
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 February 14 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dathai,Just wondering if you have resolved your query on Myles Whelan. I can help with info you may require.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 February 14 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lochanee
                  great to finally get some sort of response,i somehow got waylaid back when i first posted this topic and forgot to get the marriage cert, i had also been chasing up the wifes family and got distracted and forgot about it alltogether thinking it was a dead end.
Well what can you offer are we related.
Cheers
Dathai.

Offline lochanee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 February 14 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dathai,
First of all a William Whelan lived at Park in Wexford in 1869. He had a son William aged 21. This son William married a Margaret Redmond age 22 from The Faythe in Wexford town on 28th October 1869.( This William died in January 1924).The had 11 children. I can account for 10. I won't list them as you may already have them. One son was William born 1870. This son married a Bridget Fenlon on 18/10/1896. William died on 20/08/1921  age 51 and Bridget died on 11/08/1930 age 58. Their daughter Margaret Mary died 10/03/1934 age 20.
Myles was born 1885 and died in 1976. Myles married 3 times. The 1911 census show him single. In the next 11 years he was married three times and served 4 years in WW1.I have rambled a bit. I am new to roots whereas you have many stars. Its a start.

Offline lochanee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 February 14 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dathai,
Back again, Forgot to say that Myles Whelan married Margaret Hayes in 1911. William Whelan & Bridget Fenlon had 2 further children that I know of Gertrude and William. This William born 1899 and died 1963. The names William, Margaret and Susan are common  through the families

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 February 14 22:29 GMT (UK) »
First i would like to say i havent got my paperwork certs to hand at the moment but i spent such a long time researching this man,my grandfather william,that it is virtually drummed into my head.
My grandfather William was married for the second time 1922 in Dublin from which marriage i descend he gave us all a bum steer by naming his father as Thomas Whelan and Julia Dalton, i spent a year researching Thomas Whelan and Julia Dalton and found all their children but they never had a William, i bought about 10 birth certs for Carlow and Wexford from 1868 to 1872 ,so i remembered my father telling me that he had a half brother Henry killed circa 1930 in a motorcycle accident, i duly in time found this in the paper and his birth in Dublin 1895 which led me to the church for his fathers marriage William Whelan son of William Whelan and Margaret Redmond of the Forth? and the Faythe to Julia Nolan also of Wexford and this led me to the 1901/1911 Census of Tram Terrace,Terenure where my father was also born in 1923 to William a Tram driver.
Now the reason for the false details on the second marriage may be down to his birth cert which i eventually found as William WheAlan of the Faythe in 1870 if he needed this for his second marriage it would be hard to find because when you look at the index books all the William Whelans appear together but William WhelAlan because of the extra A in his name appears nearly a page before it and is stuck in between other similar names barely noticable thats how i missed it for so long and wonder did the g r o have the same problem in 1922.
Any way from his occupation ,address and my fathers knowledge of the first family there is no doubt that its the same man.
So you can imagine how surprised i am to see the marriage you have listed for him,somethings gone awry somewhere,requires further investigation.
Dathai.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 March 14 12:58 GMT (UK) »
There is only one way to resolve this dilemma and that is a church record of the Whelan /Fenlon marriage in 1896 for the mothers maiden name,do you have a copy of the civil marriage cert which would only name his father does it give the name of the church,unfortunately because of the year 1896 it may not be available on microfilm.

Offline lochanee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 March 14 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I will get a marriage record for you in a day or two, if I dont already have one. Leave it with me.

I will send you more info later.

Offline lochanee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 March 14 19:24 GMT (UK) »

Dathai,
I am going to add more confusion.

I have included census records- Census Ireland 1901. In the townland of Rathmacknee little DED Killinick & Co Wexford you will find William (b. c.1847) & Margaret Whelan and 6 of their children.
Residents of a house 5 in Rathmacknee Little (Killinick, Wexford) 1901

Whelan   William   54   Male   Head of Family   Catholic   Co Wexford   Gardner   Married
Whelan   Margaret   55   Female   Wife   Catholic   Co Wexford   -   Married
Whelan   James   18   Male   Son   Catholic   Co Wexford   Labour   Not Married
Whelan   Myles   16   Male   Son   Catholic   Co Wexford   Labour   Not Married
Whelan   Mary E   14   Female   Daughter   Catholic   Co Wexford   Scholar   Not Married
Whelan   Susan   12   Female   Daughter   Catholic   Co Wexford   Scholar   Not Married
Whelan   John   10   Male   Son   Catholic   Co Wexford   Scholar   Not Married
Whelan   Peter   27   Male   Son   Catholic   Co Wexford   Labour   Not Married

Their son William (b. c. 1870) at 1901 can be found in the townland of Butlerstown Co Wexford with his wife Bridget and children Gertrude, William & Margaret Mary.
William is working as a coachman.

Residents of a house 3 in Butlerstown (Tomhaggard, Wexford)1901

Whelan   William   31   Male   Head of Family   Roman Catholic   Co Wexford   Coachman
Whelan   Bridget   29   Female   Wife   Roman Catholic   Co Wexford   -
Whelan   Gertrude   4   Female   Daughter   Roman Catholic   Co Wexford   -
Whelan   William   2   Male   Son   Roman Catholic   Co Wexford   -
Whelan   Mary      Female   Daughter   Roman Catholic      

The 1911 census show William born 1847 working at Butlerstown as a gardener
Residents of a house 2 in Butlerstown (Tomhaggard, Wexford) 1911

Whelan   William   63   Male   Head of Family   Roman Catholic   Co Wexford   Gardener   -   Married
Cleary   Michael   40   Male   Lodger   Roman Catholic   Co Wexford   Agricultural Labourer      

His wife Margaret is at Ballynaas with Myles Peter & John
Residents of a house 1 in Ballynaas, Great (Mayglass, Wexford) 1911

Whelan   Margaret   63   Female   Head of Family   Roman Catholic   Co Wexford   House Keeper   Married   43   11   9
Whelan   Peter   37   Male   Son   Roman Catholic   Co Wexford   Agricultural Labourer   Single   -   -   -
Whelan   Myles   26   Male   Son   Roman Catholic   Co Wexford   Agricultural Labourer   Single   -   -   -
Whelan   John   19   Male   Son   Roman Catholic   Co Wexford   Agricultural Labourer   Single   -   -   -

The 1911 census show William’s (born 1870) wife Bridget & Gertrude age 14 William age 12 & Margaret age 10 in a house in Maudlintown, Wexford town
Residents of a house 8 in Maudlintown, part of (Rural) (Wexford Rural, Wexford) 1911

Whelan   Bridget   36   Female   Wife   Roman Catholic   Co Wexford   -   Married   15   3   3
Whelan   Gertrude   14   Female   Daughter   Roman Catholic   Co Wexford   Scholar   -   -   -   -
Whelan   William   12   Male   Son   Roman Catholic   Co Wexford   Scholar   -   -   -   -
Whelan   Margaret   10   Female   Daughter   Roman Catholic   Co Wexford   Scholar            
NoteMargaret Mary is at times referred to as Margaret and other times as Mary.
Butlerstown house was an estate house with about 2000 acres at the time

Residents of a house 7 in Custom House Quay (Wexford Urban No 1, Wexford)1911

Fetherstonhaugh   Richard   55   Male   Head of Family   Church of Ireland   Co Wexford   Bark Agurt   Read and write   Married   16   -   -
Fetherstonhaugh   Carolina Alice   41   Female   Wife   Church of Ireland   England   -   Read and write   Married   16   2   2
Fetherstonhaugh   William Thomas   15   Female   Daughter   Church of Ireland   Co Mayo   Scholar   Read and write   Single   -   -   -
Fetherstonhaugh   Cuthbert John   8   Male   Son   Church of Ireland   Co Wexford   Scholar   Read and write   Single   -   -   -
Whelan   William   40   Male   Servant   Roman Catholic   Co Wexford   Man Servant   Read and write   Married   -   -   -
Collons   Catherine C   37   Female   Servant   Roman Catholic   Co Wexford   General Servant   Read and write   Single   -   -   -

I understand from relations that William b 1870 suffered ill health while a coachman as a result of being out in all weathers.

I have had a look at my notes. I did check the church records for the marriage of William Whelan & Bridget Fenlon Orristown Wexford on 18/10/1896. His father was William Whelan Rathmacknee.
Orristown- Rathmacknee-Church- all within a mile. The apple fell close to the tree.
 I am sorry if this adds more confusion but you do need total confusion to solve your dilemma.
I will pick up a birth cert for one of the children and it will confirm mother’s name.