Author Topic: Price's at Hergest Court Farm, Kington before 1838  (Read 15030 times)

Offline arrowmead

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Price's at Hergest Court Farm, Kington before 1838
« on: Saturday 13 September 08 02:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there to this wonderful web site

I have traced my family back to John Price b. 1794 from the 1841 census (res Hergest Court, Both Hergests, Kington) and his wife Elizabeth (unknown maiden name) and have now reached the hard part - no more census records.

There is a reference to a "John Price, the present tenant of the farm in this parish called Hargest Court" from a "Charity Commissioners' Report, 1838".  This quote came from the book "History of Kington, 1845".

I also have a quote that I didn't reference properly (could be the book above)
"the manor of West or Upper Hergest is a Mense Manor under Huntington....and in the addition to the school farm, it contains one belonging to Mr Watt, occupied by John Price, and another owned and occupied by Mr. Price of Hergest-court"  1619 - (this dates seems a bit early??)

I have a lovely description written by my ggrandfather (1861-1932) of his childhood at Hergest; the spring flowers, Mahallum School, 7 years at Kington Grammar and Mr Everard's private school, if anyone is interested.

Many thanks for any info
Regards

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Price's at Hergest Court Farm, Kington before 1838
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 September 08 16:07 BST (UK) »
There are 2 possible marriages in Kington in 1819 for John Price, one to an Elizabeth Lewis, and another to Elizabeth Watkins.

Does the 1841 Census show the names of children ?
If there are children borm after 1837 then their birth certificates will be available from the Kington Register Office.
This can tell you the Mother's maiden name and identify which Elizabeth is John's wife.

Also Kington History Society may have information in their huge database for Kington and area of the family.

Offline vic1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 September 08 20:30 BST (UK) »
Yes Get in touch with kington history society.  i am  sure they will be able to help you as i think Hergest court is linked to lady hawkins school in a fairly close way and my old history teacher has researched and written a book about theschool and i know he was involved with the history society .I attended  lady hawkins and we learned some of the history to do with the area  but the only families i  can remember being linked to it were the Vaughan's and the tenants then.  chap i went to school with lives there now and her refutes the ghost stories  we were all to. also be aware there are two hargest court" farms " one called" HArgest court "and the other called  "hargest court farm " they are linked  as they both  belonged to the same family. wish i could help you more as i think i remember more than this  but am not sure  and i know  we had a copy of the school history at my parents but  they lent it to some one and it hasn't been returned. good luck anyway   i am sure they will be able to help you
pembrokeshire Coates,Rees, Williams
galmorgan Coates Williams Francis
brecknock stephens Driscoll lewis Webb Jones price
herefordshire Jones page savager price carwardine
radnorshire Rees savager Jones

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 September 08 22:06 BST (UK) »

The book which tells about Black Vaughan, the Black Dog of Hergest and the haunted room is Malvern Chase by Symonds. 
Black Vaughan who was killed at the battle of Banbury in 1469 is buried and has a marble effigy monument in Kington Church with his wife Ellen Gethin know as Ellen the Terrible.

Offline arrowmead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 September 08 00:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info Puffcat - I'm no welsh language scholar but there is a modern scholar who has offered Gethin as meaning "dark skinned" rather than "terrible" hmmm...

Also, thanks for looking at the marriages.  Their children were born before 1837 so no luck there. 

Thanks to all
Regards

Offline JenniferRuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 December 08 23:33 GMT (UK) »
I was pleased to find your entry about Hergest Court.  My great aunt Gladys' husband, Owens (I'e temporarily forgotten his first name) was a tenant farmer at Hergest Court Farm.  Do you know the legend about Black Vaughan attached to Hergest Court?  Just Google Hergest and read all about it.  If you don't find it, let me know and I will send it to you.
One part of the legend is that the great hound would be heard/seen on the death of a Vaughan.  My great aunt heard this -- so the story goes -- snuffling in the passageway -- and the next day learnt of the death of a Vaughan.
This legend formed the basis for Conan Doyle's The House of the Baskervilles -- he was often in Herefordshire.

Offline JenniferRuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 December 08 23:39 GMT (UK) »
My father's family originated in Kerry, in Montgomeryshire, but moved to Kington  in the late 19th century.  The family name is Hamer.  My grandfather was the first man from Kington to have been killed in WW1.
Anything of interest will be gratefully received.
I have found Kington Hihstorical Society very helpful, as were the people in the Library.

Offline arrowmead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 December 08 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi JenniferRuth

Nice to hear from you.  I have a reference to Owen Owen being the tenant at Hergest in 1891.  My Price family had left by then and had been living in Kington proper before emigrating to New Zealand around 1899 (where I am).

My ggrandfather knew all the stories about Black Vaughan and my grandfather took the time to write them down.  It's interesting to see the slight differences between each version.

I would love some day to visit Hergest and do some research first hand at the Historic society.  You are lucky to be there!

All the best and keep in touch.

Offline recirp

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 December 08 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Dear arrowmead
I have just joined RootsChat primarily because I found your topic "Price's at Hergest Court Farm, Kington".
I am a Price also in New Zealand and I can identify your grandfather from your description. In fact, I have a tremendous portrait photo of him and his family.
I am particularly interested in the fact that you have traced the family back to John Price b.1794. I would dearly like to meet up with you and share the information that we have.
My grandfather was born at Evenjobb Court in 1859, and on 19th August 2008 I actually visited Evenjobb Court and met the current occupants. I have a photo of Evenjobb Court which you are welcome to. However, my grandfather's family was also tied up with Hergest Court.
I look forward to hearing from you.