Author Topic: Bathgate railway accident, McTague  (Read 9611 times)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bathgate railway accident, McTague
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 August 13 21:33 BST (UK) »
My thoughts exactly - the item was headed "Narrow Escape"!!
The Glagow Herald carried a similar report on 19 Nov, describing it as a "serious accident", mentioning "arm severely bruised" and "Fortunately, he sustained no other injury".

The accident occurred on Thursday 12 November. What was the date of death?

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 August 13 22:09 BST (UK) »
One would suspect undiagnosed internal bleeding/organ damage, perhaps causing him to collapse or pass away in his sleep 24-48 hours later.

Incidentally, there could not have been a Fatal Accident Inquiry in 1874/75, as they were only introduced in 1895 - prior to that the investigation of sudden deaths fell under the common law jurisdiction of the procurator fiscal, who did not, as now, require to be a legally qualified civil servant holding a Commission from the Lord Advocate, but could be a part-time appointment held by a local lawyer.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 August 13 00:12 BST (UK) »
Good find hanes teulu, it looks like he died three days later. Which makes it odd that the Glasgow Herald on the 19th doesn't mention that he had died.

SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 August 13 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Peter McTaig is buried at Paulville in common ground, buried on 17/11/1874. As already posted, lived in Livery Street and was a plate layer. Age is given as 46 years and cause of death through accident.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 August 13 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi there Mags, how are you. Quite a few of mine in common ground in Paulville, including I believe, the lady I was looking at in the first place.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline IainW81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 August 13 18:20 BST (UK) »
Glad I came across this. My great grandmother's half-brother was knocked down and killed by an engine near Blackridge in 1923 and his death certificate had the extra information in the column on the left hand side, but I didn't know what it said. Now I know it's about the coroner's report. Now going to see if I can find anything in the papers!
Mitchell and Perry in N.Ireland and Scotland. McLaren and Hamilton in Scotland. Craig and Major in N.Ireland and Scotland. McIntosh and Paton in Fife.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 August 13 18:38 BST (UK) »
Iain - Have you tried searching the National Archives [sorry - new name Records] of Scotland website
nas.gov.uk
for the fatal accident inquiry?

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline IainW81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 August 13 18:51 BST (UK) »
Iain - Have you tried searching the National Archives [sorry - new name Records] of Scotland website
nas.gov.uk
for the fatal accident inquiry?

Josey

Hi Josey. I'm going to do that next. I found his corrected register entry, which gave me one more piece of information, mainly that he was last seen 35 mins prior to being discovered.
Mitchell and Perry in N.Ireland and Scotland. McLaren and Hamilton in Scotland. Craig and Major in N.Ireland and Scotland. McIntosh and Paton in Fife.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 August 13 22:30 BST (UK) »
You have missed djct's post above in which he pointed out that Fatal Accident Inquiries did not take place before 1895, so there will not be one in this case.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.