Author Topic: Stirling District Lunacy Board 1890-1907 UNESCO Memory of the World Register.  (Read 8380 times)

Offline redquirrel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stirling District Lunacy Board 1890-1907 UNESCO Memory of the World Register.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 September 13 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hello, Davey, what an amazing resource- how on earth did you come by it? My great grandfather was there twice, between 1909 until his death in 1916, so unfortunately for me it falls outside your records. But when i went to Stirling University archives i was lucky enough to see 2 photographs of him which was something i never expected to find. They have had a profound impact on his family, as you might expect. It would be fascinating to find out more about the day to day life in the asylum, and what my great grandfather would have experienced.

Offline redquirrel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stirling District Lunacy Board 1890-1907 UNESCO Memory of the World Register.
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 13:48 BST (UK) »
You don't happen to have any admission books, by any chance? They contain admissions info and photographs of patients- i can't find anything on my great grandfather's second admission in 1910, and it would be fantastic to find something on this!

Offline shshome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 02:28 BST (UK) »
Francis Binnie (1856-1920), from the Tryst Raod in Stenhousemuir, was my great- great grandfather.  His daughters (including my great grandmother) were very musically inclined.  There was more than one Francis Binnie in the Stenhousemuir/Larbert area, which makes tracing family trees complicated, but do you believe this might be the same one?  He was an iron moulder by trade and his wife's name was Jane.
Sarah

Asylum Orchestra. Dr.Macpherson intimates that there was now an orchestra in the asylum for the purpose of supplying music at the weekly dances and balls for the patients during the winter months. Up till the present the music had been supplied by Francis Binnie, Stenhousemuir, who for the past year, along with James Clarke, cornet player, had assisted the asylum orchestra. It was now the desire of the members of the asylum band that no outsiders be asked to help them. It was agreed to give Binnie notice that his services would no longer be required. In respect of his long connection with the asylum a bonus of £5 was agreed to be paid to Binnie on his retiring. ::)

Offline davy.campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, its only a guess but Tryst Road is only a stones throw away from the Hospital, so it may well have been your grandfather. I went to piano lessons with an old lady (against my will), in Tryst road about 50 years ago but cant remember her name. There also used to be loads of foundries in this area but all closed now.