Author Topic: Buddo Family History  (Read 41342 times)

Offline NZGrant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Buddo Family History
« on: Thursday 20 March 08 08:46 GMT (UK) »
I'm tracking down the ancestors of my wife's maternal line.  David Buddo emigrated to New Zealand about 1874 and became a member of parliament.  His father was Sir David Buddo, a surgeon in the Indian civil service who is credited with building Kinburn House in St Andrews in 1855 (now the St Andrews Museum).  Curiously though, after his death in 1862, his estate does not include that fine looking house, amounting to just 497 pounds.  In his will he states "There will not be much for him poor fellow, so let him learn something to live by . . . ".  So one mystery to solve is whether he owned the house or just lived in it on his return from Bombay. 

His will also refers to ". . my son David Buddo by Euphane Durward at present residing in the vollage of Drumlithie Kincardineshire as Mrs Robert Johnstone" .  This suggests that either he was divorced or never married Euphane (also referred to as Euphemia Stevenson Dorward in a NZ obituary).  Mystery No 2.

I've accumulated all the census and other records I can via the internet, dating from the earliest mention of a Thomas Buddo in 1590 in St Andrews through to the early 20th century.  It is a small family line, living mostly in St Andrews with involvement in golf (ballmaking in 1610), as weavers in the 18th C and fishermen in the 19th C.  My best guess of David senior's parents are Thomas Buddo (1755 - 1815) & Margaret Thomson.  Previous generations most likely Thomas Buddo (1709-1780) & Margaret Gourlay (<1720-1800), preceded by David Buddo (1674 - )& Agnes Baxter, preceded by either Johne Buddo & Marget Carmichell or David Buddo & Jonet Johnston/Johnstoun.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Buddo Family History
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 March 08 09:38 GMT (UK) »
2 Davids on the 1871 census records on SP

1871 BUDDO DAVID Male 78yrs living in  PERTH /PERTH

1871 BUDDO DAVID Male 48yrs living in  ST ANDREWS AND ST LEONARDS /FIFE

Christening record for David also from SP

08/04/1854 BUDDO DAVID BUDDO son of DAVID BUDDO and EUPHEMIA STEVENSON DORWARD  christened at St Cuthbert's  EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 March 08 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Between 1800 and 1854 there are 44 christening records in Scotland for the surname Buddo (although some may be multiple records)

In the same period for Fife alone there are 31 records, again some may be multiple entries of the same birth

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 March 08 10:05 GMT (UK) »
David senior's death record giving mothers surname

1862 BUDDO DAVID mothers surname THOMSON   Male aged  62yrs died at  ST ANDREWS AND ST LEONARDS /FIFE

Christening record for David senior

02/02/1800 BUDDO DAVID son of THOMAS BUDDO and MARGARET THOMSON christened St Andrews and St Leonards /FIFE

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 March 08 10:09 GMT (UK) »
The will is available to view on SP at a cost of £5

Buddo David 12/08/1863 sr, surgeon, sometime in the Honorable East India Company's Service, afterwards residing at Kinburn House near St Andrews Inventory; Extract Registered Will or Settlement Cupar Sheriff Court

Offline NZGrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 March 08 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks sancti. That fills some gaps.  I had been getting my census records from Ancestry.com and realised after looking at your information that there are others in SP.  However, you need to look at both because Ancestry.com has some that SP doesn't.

Offline Langtonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 March 08 07:08 GMT (UK) »
An interesting old Fife surname this one, mainly to be found in the St Andrews area as has already been said. Believed to be of local derivation, from Buddo Ness on the Fife coast, St Andrews parish.

Offline NZGrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 March 08 08:35 GMT (UK) »
A little more information on mystery No 2.  Euphemia Dorward shows up in the 1861 census as the wife of Robert Johnston in Drumlithie, in the Glenbervie district with two young children and David Buddo (8).  They are still there in 1871 but David is no longer there at that time.  David does not show up in the SP search for 1861 so was missed when the records were indexed.

I can't find any record of a marriage betwen Euphemia and David Buddo snr or between Euphemia and Robert Johnston.  If she did marry twice, then there should also be a divorce from David Buddo, presumably between 1854 after David jnr was born and 1859 when her son Robert Thomson jnr was born.  Are divorce records in the public domain?

Back on mystery No 1, David B snr shows up as a lodger in Edinburgh in the 1861 census, the year before he died.  Again, it seems odd that he would have had the fortune needed to build Kinburn House in 1855 to be reduced in money so quickly, down to 500 pounds at the time of death.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 March 08 09:40 GMT (UK) »