Author Topic: 64 Leys Park Road, Dunfermline *** COMPLETED ***  (Read 6166 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
64 Leys Park Road, Dunfermline *** COMPLETED ***
« on: Tuesday 11 September 12 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi fellow Fifers

Can anyone tell me what 64 Leys Park Road, Dunfermline was in the mid 1940's please?

It's appeared on a Death register that I have and, when I tried to 'Google' it, several results came up showing it as a 'place of death' :o   There is a Care Home close at hand - has the street been re-numbered?

Any clues?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: 64 Leys Park Road, Dunfermline
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi CF

Guessing here and wondering if it one of "those addresses". See here for a similar issue in Inverness-shire www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,610518.0.html

Like you can't find much as yet...

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 20:06 BST (UK) »
A couple of mentions here for example of Leys Park Road, such as:

Leys Park Road, Former Poorhouse Probationary Ward ('The Lodge'), Including Gatepiers And Boundary Wall

Leys Park Road, Former Fever Hospital (Mclean House)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_listed_buildings_in_Dunfermline,_Fife

More digging required, but we are probably on the right track I would think....

Monica

Added: Note the change of street name here www.workhouses.org.uk/Dunfermline/
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 10:00 BST (UK) »
Appreciate the input Monica ... this one had a cause of death diagnosis of "Osteo-arthritis; Bed-sores; Septic absorbtion"  ???

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline LWLen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 September 12 23:01 BST (UK) »
I believe the poorhouse and hospital were together in the same location here, so I would say that one of these is as good as the other, but it certainly seems most likely. Dunfermline jail was also next to the poorhouse but that sounds a little more extreme...

There is a nice map on the National Library of Scotland's website which shows the area at roughly the time you are talking about (from late 30s, early 40s):

http://maps.nls.uk/os/25inch-2nd-and-later/view/?jp2=82882158#jp2=82882158&zoom=5&lat=2606&lon=6726&layers=BT

The front wall of the jail is all that remains of it, but it's useful as a marker - the houses that currently stand immediately to the west of the jail wall number into the 50s, while the current Leys Park Care Home (just a little bit below the Nurses Home shown on this map I think) is number 80. I would therefore imagine that number 64 was indeed part of the poorhouse/hospital, some parts of which are still standing, as highlighted in the link Monica posted.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 September 12 13:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Monica and 'LWLen' for your contributions here.  I think I can 'pick the bones' out of it - so to speak - and close the thread!

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Offline linloobyloo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 64 Leys Park Road, Dunfermline *** COMPLETED ***
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I lived at no 62 during 50s as 60s. Know fair amount about the area and still frequented house until 2000.
No 62 was originally the police gatehouse for the jail. Nos 64 were gatehouses for what used to be the Poors House and became the Northern Hospital and then APH. Hospital gatehouses were  one used for young doctors to have a room in, and other was used for hospital caretaker and his family, but it was demolished, after he was tranferred to Cupar. The single storey house was full of damp as sitting in a low corner.
I can probably give you more info about the hosptal, the houses and the jail with attached house and cemetery houses, etc. If you want to ask em questions. Feel free. Regards