Author Topic: Robertsons from Fossoway and Kinross  (Read 7105 times)

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robertsons from Fossoway and Kinross
« on: Thursday 13 January 11 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering whether anyone might have connections to the family of Thomas Robertson of Kinross and Fossoway.

Thomas Robertson of Kinross married Katherine Blay'd/Blayth/Blyth in Glendevon parish in December 1747.  They had a child John born at Balado wester in Kinross parish in March 1749.  Two further sons born to Thomas Robertson in Bankhead, Fossoway and Tullibole parish, in 1753 (William, died four months later) and 1754 (Harie) may also be their children. 

Thomas and Katherine then seem to have moved to live at the Old Manse of Fossoway, where they had three more children, Thomas born 1757 (my great great great grandfather), Alexander born 1760 and Katharine born 1765.

Thomas was widowed when Katharine Blyth died in 1768, but appears to have then re-married to Margaret Morice.  He had three more children, David born 1772 and Isabel born 1774, both at the Old Manse, and finally Margaret in 1776 in Middleloan.  Margaret Morice, "spouse to Thomas Robertson in Damside[?] of Devon" died in March 1779.

My great great great grandfather Thomas, born 1757, eventually married Margaret Morgan and lived near Menstrie from 1795 onwards, but I can find no further information about what became of any of his siblings.  Is there anyone out there who may be descended from any of these siblings?

David.

Offline stufraser

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Robertsons from Fossoway and Kinross
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 May 12 00:06 BST (UK) »
David.
Not sure if this helps, but I have a Great Great Grandfather named Thomas Robertson who married Cathrine Whyte (date not certain) but they had children Robert, James, Thomas, David, Peter and Martha Whyte. They lived in Kinross.  The children were all born between 1846-1865.  If this is part of your lineage then I can give you the information from that point on.  My mother's, mother was Catherine White Robertson who was born in Cumbuslang in 1884. She was married to Robert Robertson one of the siblings.
Stuart

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robertsons from Fossoway and Kinross
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 21:42 BST (UK) »
Stuart,

Thanks for this.  Not sure if there is a connection, but there might just possibly be one.  My great great great grandfather, Thomas Robertson, born in Fossoway in 1757 and married to Margaret Morgan had ten children, the eldest son of whom. also Thomas, was born at Menstrie in 1793.  Old family notes tell me that he was married  and had four children and died in 1819 - but nothing more and no names - and I have never been able to trace the family any further.  It is quite likely that his eldest son would also be called Thomas and he might just be your great great grandfather who married Margaret White.   But then again, your Thomas might be the grandson of one of my great great great grandfather's siblings.  The trouble is that there are far too many Robertsons to be sure!

David.