Author Topic: Help with address on 1841 Census. Completed.  (Read 5170 times)

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with address on 1841 Census
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 20:45 BST (UK) »
P.s. there is nothing of that name near Aber Dysynni, where the river enters the sea, it is as you said
Alwyn

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Alwyn,
Many thanks once again for the research, it really is appreciated. I think you were correct all the time about Cefncoch. I think what I have done is read about Rhydyrhiw on the Genuki pages and literally thought that Rhydyrhiw was either a village or a town on the mouth of the River Dysynni, instead of a township being an area of land like a parish or borough. I will now try and research Cefncoch, as I believe it was once a tavern or coaching inn, so it might be possible my Gt Gt Grandmother might have been a maid or servant whilst living there, before moving to Clos Bach where she was living when she married my Gt Gt Grandfather a Hugh Angel and lived in the Tycroes farm.

Many many thanks once again,
Gwyn.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 21:07 BST (UK) »
retpara,

Regarding Cefncoch being an inn/tavern, the 1891 Ordnance Survey Map (viewable on line - British History Online)  identifies the Cefn-coch Hotel - a couple of hundred yards east of Waun-fâch.
Rhyd-y criw is there, near the Church of St Mary and St Egryn.

regards

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 April 10 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Hanes Teulu,

Many thanks for your assistance, I have found it using Google Earth and then using their street view bubbles have managed to get an excellent photograph of Cefn Coch.
Only now I have to find out how to get the history of it and to verify that it is the correct Cefn Coch that I am looking for and that my descendants lived there.

Retpara.