Author Topic: Charles Hay, Watchmaker, Witham  (Read 2815 times)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Hay, Watchmaker, Witham
« on: Saturday 06 September 14 21:54 BST (UK) »
Doing some research for a friend have found a likely death & probate for what could be his grandfather, a Ralph Henry Collins.  Ralph died in April 1934 in Witham and his probate was granted to a Charles Hay, watchmaker.  I thought it more likely to make a link through Charles Hay rather than Ralph Collins.

2 questions: 1 .. Does anyone have any information on Charles Hay, and
                   2 .. what paper would likely have filed a death notice/obituary for Ralph

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Hay, Watchmaker, Witham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 September 14 22:34 BST (UK) »
You would probably be best ordering a copy of the Will to see who the Ralph Collins made bequests to.  Charles Hay may be related, but he may just be a trusted friend whom Ralph named as executor in his Will.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 September 14 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizdb

That is the route my friend will probably have to go down and/or a copy of the death certificate as well but thought I would look for some more general information before I suggest he starts ordering certificates.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 September 14 23:07 BST (UK) »
Chelmsford Chronicle - 4th May 1934

WITHAM - The funeral of Mr. R Collins took place at All Saints Church on Monday, café proprietor, of Maldon Road, who died somewhat suddenly aged 51.

Mourners - Mrs. Collins, widow, Mr. P Bowyer, stepson, Misses R & P Bowyer, grandchildren, Mrs. Southfield, Mrs. Butcher, sister in law.  Also present were Mr. Ebenezer Smith J.P., Mrs. Carter, Messrs. R. Dietrich, E. Willsher, P. Revett W.R. Alderton, R. Harrington and D. Care.

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 September 14 23:14 BST (UK) »
redtonyt

Thats just great!! Not to sure what we will make of this information as Ralph has been a bit of a mystery, but this gives quite a few clues to go at.  Thanks so much.

Ray

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 September 14 09:22 BST (UK) »
On the probate record Ralph Henry Collins was living at 39 Maldon Road, Witham, Essex.  Is anybody able to access the 1930 to 1934 Electoral Registers to establish who else was living at that address.

Regards

Ray

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 September 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
A quick look at 1911 index reveals there are two Ralph Henry Collins bn 1883

Has your friend got the relevant parents birth cert, to show who mother was and her maiden name? Plus Ralphs address and occupation at that time?
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 September 14 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizdb

Yes the 1911 census shows two Ralph Henry Collins supposedly born 1883, however I can only find one registered birth for a Ralph Henry in 1882 (Lambeth), or indeed only one Ralph Henry or Ralph H between 1860 & 1890.

On the one 1911 census I have Ralph Henry (age 28 born Westminster) living with a Violet Collins (nee Lovick) and daughter Doris.  Doris is the sister of my friends mother who was born 1914.  I have not found a Collins/Lovick marriage.

On the other 1911 census I have a Ralph Henry (age 28 born Surrey Brixton) shown as single living with his parents.  However the occupations of the pair are very similar:

1. Ralph with Violet:    Salesman at Wholesale Ironmongers
2. Ralph with parents: Salesman at Ironfounders Showroom

It appears that my friends grandfather disappeared soon after his mother was born in 1914.  Until I started helping with research he did not have a birth certificate for his mother, on finding the details he has now sent for the certificate.  However freebmd does identify the mother as Lovick.

Ray

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 September 14 17:38 BST (UK) »
On the face of it, it looks as if he has marriage-phobia, doesnt it!

Seems he was probably living with Violet without actually marrying her, then at the time of his death living with a lady who had previously been married to (or maybe was nee) Bowyer. But no sign of any marriages.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex