Author Topic: Anyone researching the Botes family  (Read 61829 times)

Offline hmarryatt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone researching the Botes family
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 18 December 11 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Tertuis I just found some new information.  My dad's brothers were Charl or spelt Sarel and John :), and Tokkie and a sister Dollie  (obviously nicknames). My mother was Hester Laureth Elizabeth Heyneke. 

Offline wiekus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 12 April 12 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody that is looking for the Botes family tree. I am the grandson of Hendrik Gerhardus Botes(Hennie) born on 24 March 1911, from Brandfort in the Free state. My great grandfather Had three farms named Mooidam, Hammanskraal but the name of the third farms might have been Walmansdal but I am not sure. I cant remember.  He was married to Hubrecth vander linde. My grand dad Hendrik Gerhardus Botes(Hennie) was Married to Izabella Elizabeth Wassermann(Dollie) Born24 September 1911 and got married on 28 March 1933.  My uncle Drikie inhert the farms after my Grandfather died and in 1987 he sold the farms and moved to Beinsvlei just outside of Bloemfontein. He died in 2001. If you want more info let me know. I am a grandson to the biggest Botes farmers in Branfort Free state and spended every holiday on the farm when I was still a child.

Modified to protect the identity of living persons in accordance with Rootschat policy.

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 13 April 12 04:48 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Welcome to Rootschat Wiekus:) As this site is primarily about finding "dead" people, i am going to modify your post and copy it to Lorand to protect the identity of living people. This helps prevent identity fraud etc.

Lorand - do you have a copy of the death notice for Susara - it is available on Familysearch.
have a great day.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 13 April 12 05:39 BST (UK) »
Hester - do you have a copy of your dads death notice? It should list his parents names. It is held in the transvaal archives and you can order a copy very cheaply through EGGSA stating the reference

This is it:
DEPOT     TAB                                                                                                                                   
REFERENCE 1413/71                                                             
BOTES, Johannes Hendrik                                         

Surviving Spouse Hester Loretta BOTES - this is probably a  transcription error.     

Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wiekus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 13 April 12 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi hmarryatt,

I only know that my grandmother's name was dollie. But she born a Wassermann and got married into the Botes Family. She was not born a Botes.

To the rest, guys you can also go on facebook and look up Henriette vander merwe. She has all the information of the family. She is the daughter of my aunt Betty, or look up Henk Botes on facebook. He is the last remining HG Botes, the fourth generation. He is much older and will give you all the history of the farms Mooidam, Hammanskrall and the third farm. There is still land that is owned by my Grand fathers cousint's wife Sannie Botes.

Offline hmarryatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hallo Ruth
What is EGGSA, what do I do and how?  Please help me I am very new to this sort of thing.  I would dearly love to know my Grand parents names. We even bought Willie Botes's book but we did not get far, I never realised how important it is to keep in touch with family even though we lived in Northern Rhodesia.
Thank you so much for answering.

Regards

Offline Johann Claassen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Proudly South African
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 17:11 BST (UK) »
www.eggsa.org is a database of South African cemeteries, documents, newspapers, etc. For free!

Kind regards
Johann
Claassen(Clauszen)/Cronje/Dyer/Gerber/James/Jones/McHale/Pozyn/Rose/Schoon/Swiegelaar/Victor/Wagenaar/Walker/Warner/Waterson/Warwick/Zeelie

Offline BotesH

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there im from south africa, born there lived in Lichtenburgh and moved to australia in 1999, i was wondering what information u have on the Botes family, family tree any u have would be great and i can provide information on my history as far as i know.

Offline Herman11

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 02 December 12 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My father was Izak Jeremia Botes born 9 May 1933

His parents was Izak Jeremia Botes a farmer from Calvinia  he married a widdow by the name of Francois or it could be Francina Jacoba Magdalena van Rooyen maiden name Faul in 21 12 193.

My dad was the only Botes child from this union. Francina the widow had 11 Van Rooyen children, of which I dont have any record

Does anybodies family tree, have a record of Izak Jeremiah Botes.

I dont know how true it is but I have also had word that the Botes family tree originates from the French Hugenotes. Apperently they fled from France via Holland and changed their surname from Botace to Botes to hide their identities?

If anybody has further Information on this I will greatly appreciate the feedback.

Kind Regards
Herman Botes