Author Topic: MacIntosh family from Boreray and North Uist  (Read 14733 times)

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
MacIntosh family from Boreray and North Uist
« on: Tuesday 27 June 06 07:07 BST (UK) »
Greetings from Australia!

Peter MacIntosh (1828-91) was married twice - Catherine MacDonald (1828-1870) and Catherine Stewart (1842-?).

He worked Croft No 12 on the isle of Boreray (Boirearaigh).

I would like help to find out where Peter, Catherine and Catherine are buried please, as well the date of Catherine Stewart's death. I don't think burials took place on Boreray itself. It is possible that some of their children could also be buried there as well - John (1861-1874), Angus (1859-?) and Donald (1866-?). MacIntosh was not a common family name for this area - they were the only MacIntosh family living on Boreray.

I would appreciate help in finding this family's resting place.

Thanks

Elsie Ellen

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Re: MacIntosh family from Boreray and North Uist
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 July 06 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm going out to north uist and the outer hebrides on monday so I'll take your post with me and have a look
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 July 06 03:02 BST (UK) »
What a kind gesture Alison. I appreciate very much your help, if you have the opportunity.

Have a great visit to this fascinating part of the world.

Cheers.

Elsie Ellen

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 August 06 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hiya! I'm back from the Hebrides!
One question: Are you married to a Peter MacIntosh in Australia?? Cos I've been speaking to a number of people out there who know of/belong to your family! the woman in Seallam by the way said that there had been someone out there last month researching the same family...
I spoke to a lot of people regarding your MacIntosh's. I went to Seallam which you prob know - its a genealogical centre which serves the whole of the western isles - and she showed me this book about all the crofts on Boreray...when we matched it to your message from here it seemed that you have already had access to the info from that actual book as all your dates were exactly the same. Do you have that book - cream paper A4 book spiral bound?

Anyway then she showed me the database which theyve been compiling all their life and i have a few amendments for you:
Catherine MacDonald was born 1830 not 1828 and died on Boreray.
Catherine Stewart lived 1845-1926 and died i think on Grimsay (cant quite make out my writing here) think she died on Grimsay - she married in 1875.

Some of the dates in that book btw are now innaccurate like Catherines.
As for where theyre buried  - well the woman at Seallam seemed to think that Peter due to when he died might have buried with his first wife?? No one was certain where exactly theyd be buried...even your relative wasnt sure - i asked the registrar on north uist, numerous ppl in shops who i thought might have local knowledge...they all came up withdiff suggestions. One that kept cropping up was a burial yard right on the end of a peninsula sticking out towards Boreray - the weather was scorching so i decided to take a trip out there....what an adventure! the registrar had told me to call at the last house along this road down to the beach which runs along the peninsula, so i did and met a woman called Sandra - she was very helpful and told me i could drive my car along this beach for about a mile - very remote it was - and then park and walk to this ancient burial site of the MacLeans right on the end - the one ppl had been talking about. She showed me the track i needed to walk up when i got there through the binoculours! So i drove down and i met some ppl right at the end by chance (literally by chance - one of the women was just wearing a bra it was that hot - dont think she was expecting to see me driving along the beach!!) - but i couldnt find the track that id seen through the binoculour and so i decided to turn round and scan the peninsula again to see if id missed it...BIG MISTAKE! I got my car stuck in the sand!! It must have gone really soft - so here i was beeping my horn at the end of this huges beach miles from the nearest house!! Thanks God those ppl were still in earshot - they came and pushed me out! Anyway i eventually decided to take this track i found and started walking - then i realised what had happened - the peninsula id seen from the house was ANOTHER peninsula further away but from a distance it looked like all one peninsula if you know what i mean - but there was a bloody great huge bay in between the peninsula id parked my car at and the one which id seen the track on!
But anyway it was an amazing day and so i set off walking but the ground got roughewr and rougher - i almost got to the beginning of the track but then i noticed that the sea was coming in...erm...fast and i suddenly thought about the car way back on that other beach and also a bit of a tidal stream that id drove through to get on the beach!! Panic set in big time and i quickly shot off back towards the car - it was so hot and it took me ages to get back to the car - then all the way up the beach im thinking oh my god what if its a full on river when i get back to the top end of the beach and im cut off!! Anyway, i got there and it was a bit deeper but i could still get through fine...but still when your that far away from anyone and it involves you, the sea and your car as a means of escape believe me you dont mess around!! So im sorry but i never got there - later i was told that it was all MacLeans that were buried there anyway...so nevermind.

continued...
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 August 06 00:23 BST (UK) »
continued...
The woman back at the house asked me how id got on and then she remembered that the woman who owns the post office on Berneray is some descendant of that family - I'd been in the post office just yesterday and spoke to her but i didnt know then she was a relative!
SO i went back to Berneray but it was shut!! So i asked for the number...on the way back i passed Clachan Sands cemetry and i thought id have a look round - your MacIntosh's definitely arent in there - at least not any of the stones that were readable. Clachan overlooks Boreray...oh by the way there was a boat trip scheduled to go to Boreray the day before i arrived on the island  ::) typical.

Anyway i asked a few people and they reckon that there was a churchyard on Boreray itself but they thought that they wouldnt be wealthy enough to erect hedstones...so i turned to my definitive book on EVERY island in Scotland when i got back and sure enough there is a churchyard on Boreray!

When I got back to Aberdeen I phoned Boreray Post Office - somehow she remembered that id come in the shop..but i wasne researching then??? Weird - she remembered my voice anyway from 2 weeks ago...dont spose they meet many people.

She's called Mairi and she is a relative of peter macIntosh in Oz...she said she knew his wife had done a lot of research (is that you??) - extremely small world - it gets spooky! I think she said that her great granny Mairi was one of Peter's daughters (Peter b.1828). I asked if she knew where her g granny was buried and she said she didnt have a clue but that she would ask round and ring me back - she also thought that there would be no headstones cos they wouldnt afford it...

Anyway i would say that theyre likley buried on Boreray...hope iv helped a little
here is Seallam's website - i strongly recommend that you get in touch with them - even if you have to pay it will be worth it i think - theyre excellent and very experienced - they have a lot of success stories.

http://www.seallam.com/ Co leis thu - means 'where are you from' - if you follow that link it should take you to the relevant bits.

Good luck!
Alison

Offline TikTokToo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 March 07 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello 'ali607',

Did 'elsie ellen', from Australia, ever get back to you concerning the sterling work you carried out on her behalf in North Uist.?  It's been a long time since August 2006 but your efforts were well beyond the call of duty and I think they deserve some acknowledgment.

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 March 07 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tik Tok Too!

I can't think why I haven't publicly responded to Alison's posting.  ??? ???

It is not like me to have left a posting unanswered. I'm staggered that this was overlooked by me.  :-[ :-[

I accept your "kick on the backside" and offer my apologies.

Alison is a rare gem! I appreciate her "sidestepping" from her own reasons for visiting the area to include helping me in my research. Not many people would do that for someone they don't know. Thanks Alison.  ;D ;D

From a suitably chastised and embarrassed Elsie.

I'm pleased you enjoyed your visit to North Uist.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 March 07 12:15 GMT (UK) »
hy its ok - it was a welcome adventure and turned out to be lots of fun - thanks!  lol and am smiling right now at the memory of me bombing it down this beach in my car trying to beat the tide!! not to mention me getting stuck  -how dizzy am i??
Yeah so in the end i figured they would have been buried on boreray itself but there would be no headstones.
Did you get in touch with seallam - theyre the authority on all research on the hebrides.

Take care
Alison

Offline macdougall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 April 07 02:37 BST (UK) »
I have just come accross this message after not being able to find anyone related to The MacDonalds of Boreray for months of looking, I am so happy to have found you!

I am a descendant of Peter MacIntosh and Catherine MacDonald through their daughter Mary MacIntosh (1857 Boreray) her daughter Euphemia (1891 Boreray) is my great grandmother.

Effie came to Australia in 1927 with her husband Donald MacDougall (known as Daniel) and her son Angus MacDonald MacDougall (1919) he is my grandfather and his sister Kate MacDougall (known as Kitty) (they had another son Neil Duncan who died as a baby in Scotland.)
Please contact me I'd love to chat to other descendants!
McDougall, Macdougall, McDonald, MacDonald, Thorburn