Author Topic: "Thomas Davies, Esq. of Davies Place, Inverness" -- 1st half of 19th century  (Read 23308 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Thomas Davies, Esq. of Davies Place, Inverness" -- 1st half of 19th century
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 November 11 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Ah so that's where it is - I've been by many a time  :D

I was sure that I'd put up the link to the Denbighshire thread but I can't see it here so:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,548211.0.html

I'm wondering what's happened to Rol  :-\

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Thomas Davies, Esq. of Davies Place, Inverness" -- 1st half of 19th century
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 November 11 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for that, Connor395.  Fascinating!  So I would imagine there's a good chance my ggggrandpa, Thomas Davies, lived in that house at least some of the time whilst the Caledonian was being built, then.  How exciting -- I so wish I could see it, and I'd certainly love to hear more about it! (For example, how big is it?) Well, what I'd really love, of course, is to jump on the next available airplane and go see it (and its setting) for myself; but since I live in Texas, I don't think that can happen! :'(  Still, hopefully it's not going anywhere, and I'll get to see it and its environs one day!

Hi, Gnu!  Yes, I too am extremely eager to have poor Rol return and finish off that tale on the other thread for us! ! :-\ :-\  Will PM you shortly.

PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline jonnyeurostar

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 June 12 00:45 BST (UK) »
I have some information re Thomas's son Joseph as he married Margaret Hay Mackenzie, a cousin of my great, great grandfather. This is an excerpt from a book called "The Chronicles of the Ardcronie Children" written in 1893 by some of Margaret's siblings.
"MARGARET HAY MACKENZIE, is said by by sister Catherine (Mrs Forbes) to have married Joseph Davis, son of Mr Davis, a contractor on the Caledonian Canal. Her husband was a civil engineer, and she went with him to America. They may have gone to Nova Scotia in the first place, but they lived for some time in Montreal, and Margaret died there leaving two sons, JOSEPH and JAMES, who I think accompanied their father to the West Indies, where he had a Government appointment."
I know Joseph and Margaret married in Inverness on 9/1/1822 but have not found any birth record for their sons. Of course they may not have been born in Scotland, especially if Joseph was moving around with his job.
If anyone knows what became of Joseph and his 2 sons I would appreciate any information.

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 June 12 05:11 BST (UK) »
Hello jonnyeurostar!

Welcome to Rootschat!

Well, I am the lady (going by a different 'tag' name on here) who messaged you earlier today on Ancestry about this couple, Joseph and Margaret.  Read you reply to that message and now your post on this long-running thread with much interest.

Some of us descendants of Thomas Davies had been aware of the Joseph Davis/Margaret McKenzie marriage in Inverness for a while; but we were never sure before that this was "our" Joseph.  However, the extract from your book appears to confirm that it is.   Great news!

Another researcher has just uncovered (only a couple of days ago, in fact) baptismal details in relation to two children being born to this couple in Canada.  You can find them in the Drouin records on Ancestry; but I transcribe them, for your information, below:

"St Andrews, Presbyterian, Montreal: Joseph Davis, a son of Joseph Davis of Montreal, gentleman, and Margaret Hay Mckenzie Davis, his wife, was born on the 22nd day of October in the year of our Lord 1822 and baptized on the 8th November 1822".

"Louisville Protestant Episcopalian: Thomas Alston, son of Mr Joseph Davies, schoolmaster at Riviere du Loup and Margaret his wife deceased was born on the 22nd day of February 1824 and baptised the 15th day of November 1824."

So: we have a Thomas, rather than a James; and it looks like Joseph snr and Margaret set sail for Canada pretty soon after their wedding, and that Joseph jnr was a honeymoon baby!

As to what happened to Joseph after Margaret's very early death: well, our researches suggest a very different outcome for him from that recalled by the book authors -- namely, a re-marriage and second family in Canada. But we have no record of what happened to the two boys of the first marriage, unfortunately -- indeed, we did wonder if they might have been taken in by Mckenzie relatives in Canada?  This book you tell us about, however, would appear to suggest not.

I am off to reply to your message on Ancestry, now! :D

CELTIC ANNIE
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 16:25 BST (UK) »
Thought I would drag this thread out of its mothballs :) give it a shake, and post an update on research into "Thomas Davies of the Canal" post the construction of the canal.  Plus discovery of a new piece of material relating to him has got me rather scratching my head now; so I thought I might post it here to see what other kind Roots-chatters might make of it.

First, we have now uncovered have a date and place of death for Thomas Davies.  An entry in the deaths column of the John of Groat Journal Friday January 31, 1840 and in the Inverness Courier January 29, 1840 reads as follows: "At Inverness, on the 17th inst., Mr Thomas. Davies, Civil Engineer, late of the Caledonian Canal."

So this, plus the 1832 marriage announcement and baptisms in Inverness of two grandchildren for which he was around to stand as witness in 1824 and 1826 all suggest that, for whatever reason, whilst other contractors involved in the canal's construction moved away from the area and on to other projects upon its completion, Tom saw out the rest of his days in Inverness.  He would have been in his mid-60s when the canal was completed (in 1822) -- perhaps felt that his body had had enough of this physically demanding (even for a contractor, one would imagine) work; plus by then he had married daughters settled and raising families in the area; so it would be perfectly understandable if he saw few temptations in moving on.

Now to the new piece of material -- unearthed on britishnewspaperarchive.com (and what a great resource that is!).  This is the text of an advertisement that appeared in the Inverness Chronicle on Thursday, March 18, 1824:

"Houses, Gardens and Stables to Let.

In the close vicinity of the Caledonian Canal.

The Commodious HOUSE and large and excellent stables, lying contigious to the Road leading from Huntly Place to Telford Street, presently occupied by Mr Donald McKay, Horse-dealer.  The House could be made sufficiently commodious to answer the purposes of an Inn, and the stables are, perhaps, the most extensive and complete in the Country.  From the contiguity of these Premises to the Canal, on which Steam Boats and other Vessels regularly ply betwixt Inverness and Fort-William, such an Inn would be a convenient resting place to Passengers, which, with other advantages, would afford every encouragement to an eligible Tenant as an Innkeeper.

ALSO

Several other neat HOUSES with Gardens attached, which having a country exposure, are very desirable Residences.

Apply to Mr Thomas Davies, the Proprietor."

My guess is that all these properties were originally built for and used by middle-management involved in construction of the Canal (in addition to the apartments in Telford Street previously mentioned in this post, which I have now been able to pay a personal visit to! :D) -- not to mention some also for the horses that provided the (literal) horsepower needed in the construction!

What I am completely bewildered about is how/why Thomas Davies, earthworks contractor on the canal, came to be their Proprietor (which I assume means 'owner').  Planning on remaining in Inverness when others moved on, did he perhaps do some sort of financial deal which left him with possession of these properties once the canal was finished, hoping to use rental income as, effectively, an early 19th century Old Age Pension?!!   

Thomas Davies: canal-builder -- and property magnate?!!

What would have been alternative means of disposing of such properties?  (And who originally had legal ownership of them, if constructed in the circumstances I suggest?!)  Am I right in thinking that there would have been very few owner-occupiers in Inverness (and indeed other cities) at this time, and that people generally rented  homes there, so that there simply would have been no market to offer these properties up individually for sale rather than rent?

I should be very grateful to have anyone's input as to what was likely going on here! ???

Many thanks. :)

CELTIC ANNIE