Author Topic: Gillispie Family of Kanawha/ Boone County, West Virginia  (Read 3555 times)

Offline clangillespie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gillispie Family of Kanawha/ Boone County, West Virginia
« on: Monday 13 October 14 16:02 BST (UK) »
I'll start with my Grandfather and work my way back, this is the line I need help with.
Jesse Lee Gillespie 1901-1957 wife Beulah Hundley  Boone Co. WV.
Francis Alva Gillispie 1869-1955 2nd wife Octave Williams Boone Co. WV.
Francis Marion Gillespie 1834-1914 wife Henrietta Hughes Boone Co. WV.
Samuel Gillespie 1797- 1861 wife Mary Jane McElwee he was born in Bath Co. VA. Died at Bull Creek Boone WV.
Samuel Gillespie 1745-1812 born Bath Co. Augusta, VA. Died Bull Creek Cole River, Kanawha Boone WV. 2nd wife was Elizabeth Blake
Thomas Gillespie /Glasby1709 or 1719 Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scotland died 1789 Cow Pasture River Augusta VA. married to Eleanor Bowen
Here is where I need help, James Gillaspy birth unknow thought to be Kirkudbrightshire Scotland
at some point moved to Ireland Married Jennet Hall came to Philadelphia USA between 1735- 1740
Affadavit of immigration "James Gilaspy came into Court and made oath that he imported himself, Jennet, Agnes, John, James & Wm Gilasby and Edward Hall from Ireland to Philadephia & from thence into this Colony at his own Charge & that this is ye first time of his proving his & their rights in order to obtain Land wch is ordered to be certified."

July 29, 1740 in Orange Co. VA for the Beverley Patent also called Beverley Manor of Augusta Co. VA.

His son JAMES GILLESPIE b.@1730 in Ulster m. ELLEN (ELIZABETH) FINLEY in Prince Edward Co. VA on Jan. 5, 1764.

His son WILLIAM GILLESPIE, SR. b. 1734 Ulster m. ISABELLA HOUSTON HENDERSON @ 1766-68 Augusta Co. VA., William SR. d. 1826 Blount Co. TN.

Son JOHN m. ELIZABETH d. Mar. 16, 1796 Blount Co. TN. Daus. MARGARET and ELIZABETH are listed in baptismal records of Rev. John Craig of Tinkling Spring Presbyterian Church in Beverley Patent.

The Gillespie that came to the US. He was born in Scotland but married in Ireland. He had a son, Thomas born in UK (probably Scotland) and a son, William born in the US. There was the very determined migration of Scots from Ayrshire and the South West into Ireland in the 18th century. The Protestant Succession strongly influenced first a move to Ireland and then to the US. These times were very heavy in 1709, 1715 and 1745 and seemed to focus on troubled times. Then prior to the potato famine of 1740 and then again in 1856, there was a move by those seeking freedom of religion. Since the Gillespies already had a history with the crown, it would not be a leap to think that The Succession Act that was snubbed by the Scottish Parliament might have initiated the immigration to the US. The connection between history and James coming to America seems relevent.
Sorry this was so long.

Offline Razzle_Dazzle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hey, y'all!
    • View Profile
Re: Gillispie Family of Kanawha/ Boone County, West Virginia
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello, there! I grew up in that area.

What is it you're looking to find out?
Lloyds: Denbighshire, Lovells: Leicestershire
Cooks: Nottinghamshire, Hodsons: Nottinghamshire

Other Fam: Derbyshire and Northamptonshire

And a bunch of hillbillies in America!

Offline clangillespie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for anyone related to this family, my family. I have lost track of everyone and am trying to reconnect.

Offline Razzle_Dazzle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hey, y'all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 October 14 13:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm gonna see if I can dig anything up for you. :)

Have you got access to ancestry.com?

Have you already tried the WV archives? I can point you towards them if not.

Also, it may only be a small point, but you have an ancestor who died at 'Cole River' -- it's the Coal River. :)

ETA: Just done a quick google search and do you know if you've (maybe) got kin buried at Barker Cemetery? I have kin buried there.

Offline clangillespie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 October 14 16:01 GMT (UK) »
yes mu name is Charles Gillispie, you can look up my tree on ancestry "the Gillespie family, thanks

Offline Razzle_Dazzle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hey, y'all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 October 14 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Charles! I thought you were looking for information -- records and such -- but it sounds like you are looking to reconnect with your family? I don't think I can help you with that specifically. :(

When I google "Gillispie" or "Gillespie" + "Boone County, WV", a good bit of stuff comes up. Maybe try that?

I grew up in that area, but haven't lived there in many years.

Offline clangillespie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 October 14 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I am aware of the google searches my website clangillespie.com probably comes up in that search, I appreciate your response.