Author Topic: Seeking Grandfather  (Read 12861 times)

Offline unknownmale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Grandfather
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 August 08 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, apanderson,

Thank you for the info. I have been overwhelmed by the reponse from this site, a big thanks to one and all. Unfortunately when I tried to respond this a.m. I had to leave the house in a hurry.

I had asked one of my many stupid questions in my previous response, i.e where did you get the info. I know where it came from.

I actually had the information, all the time. However it was presented to me in such a manner I believed the names were given as men who had enlisted, not men who had survived the war, hence my trying to determine if Alexander 57a Milton Row was my grandfather.
You presented the info this morning and the penny dropped immediately, I cannot tell you haow long I have tried to unravel this "mystery" you have succeeded in a very short space of time. Many many thanks.

Non of the Alexanders are mine in the cemetary he died 22 June 1962

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 August 08 10:34 BST (UK) »
My mistake - No. 16978 is correct (I was in too big a hurry!! )

Anne

Offline unknownmale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 August 08 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not a problem only too glad there are people like you who are willing to assist.

I cannot believe I have finally found the information needed to identify Alexander. ;D ;D

Jim.

Offline 314335

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 06 August 10 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hello from Australia. This Alexander Smith is also my Grandfather. I have quite a bit of info about him. I am in posession of his WW1 Medals and his record of service. I too would like a photo of him.
Which one of his family was your parent?. My mother was his daughter (Jane). We lived in Denny.
I do not have much time at the moment but I will have more details for you when you answer this.
Regards
Andy. (Andrew Gorrie)

Offline unknownmale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 06 August 10 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hello from Sunny Scotland,

Hi, would I be correct in saying you were at least at one time known as Drew ? My sister Ann knew about your mother and you, Did you/do you play the pipes?
Alexander was my mother Helen Smith`s (1924) father. I have tried for years to find out about him I can only just recall him being alive when I was a youngster but nothing else. I have tried without success to get his military record. etc. Seems strange I have more info on people further back. I am not in touch with anyone who has a picture but I live in hope. Would love to have any info you have on him. I have spent some time trying to find you believe it or not. Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Jim Paterson.
p.s. would be happy to send my e-mail address if you thought that o.k.

Offline unknownmale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 06 August 10 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,
Sorry first reply missed out some things I meant to say.I was astonished to get your post have been waiting a long time for info on Alexander. I unfortunately have little or no nfo on the family, I would love to have some.

regards,

Jim

Offline raymie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Yes he did marry Annie Doyle she was the daughter of John Doyle and Ann Code

regards,

unknownmale

Hi unknownmale,
I'm hoping you can clear something up for me and the notorious Alexander Smith's of Denny/Dunipace. My great grandfather was Alexander Smith B: 1900 died 1/10/1965 his father was  Alexander Smith and was married to Annie Doyle.

Do we have the same Alexander?

Offline unknownmale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Raymie,

Yes 100% sure we are talking the same Smiths. If so we would be related. My mother was Helen. Very keen to hear from you.

Jim.

Offline raymie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
Excellent,
Exciting stuff. Sorry I'm Ray Adams. I've just started my journey in genealogy and was very pleased to see this post. I was in the registrar's yesterday and back in again Friday to do more work around the smith's side.

I have Alexander Smith and Annie Doyle's Marriage Certificate. The information I have from it so far is:

They married on 21 Feb 1896.

Alexander Smith (Coal Miner) aged 22 and resided at 7 Bertram Place, Hamilton. His Father was Alexander Smith also a Coal Miner and Margaret nee Buchanan (Deceased).

Annie Doyle  aged 18 and resided at 6 Bertram Place, Hamilton. Her Father John Doyle a Shoemaker (deceased). Her mother was Ann nee ? Coad

I hope this helps us piece together if we're connected to the same people, any info you have it would be much appreciated?