Author Topic: mount bartholomew bonnybridge  (Read 6365 times)

Offline kirkbairn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mount bartholomew bonnybridge
« on: Monday 10 September 12 00:29 BST (UK) »
the house in Bonnybridge called Mount Bartholomew can anyone tell me how it got its name
jim

Offline bairnj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: mount bartholomew bonnybridge
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Have you seen the article by the Greenhillhistory society?

http://www.greenhillhistoricalsociety.org.uk/html/bonnybridge_walk.html

You may get the information required form them x

Offline kirkbairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 23:07 BST (UK) »
thanks I knew of the talk
the reason I am trying to find out is I have Bartholomews and Mounts who stayed in Bonnybridge in family tree
kirkbairn

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 October 13 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a family tree leaf living at 13 Mount Bartholomew (Denny, Stirling) in 1901 census so I presume it must have been a street or precinct?

It now seems to come under Falkirk rather than Denny so I'm a bit confused as to where it actually is/was as I thought Denny & Falkirk both came under Stirling ???

Annie.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bairnj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 October 13 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a family tree leaf living at 13 Mount Bartholomew (Denny, Stirling) in 1901 census so I presume it must have been a street or precinct?

It now seems to come under Falkirk rather than Denny so I'm a bit confused as to where it actually is/was as I thought Denny & Falkirk both came under Stirling ???

Annie.

Hi,

It is complicated! Denny is part of Falkirk Burgh and both come under Stirlingshire (not Stirling City).

Just to add to the complication I always understood Mount Bartholomew to be in Bonnybridge, not Denny.  - They are neighbouring villages though x

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 October 13 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Bairn (Broons)?  ;D

I did mean Stirlingshire but with all the transformations over the years it does come under Bonnybridge now but not a help as to finding a pic of either,

Annie.

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 October 13 18:23 BST (UK) »

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 October 13 23:45 BST (UK) »
Go to Google maps and key in Wellpark Terrace, Bonnybridge.

Once there, take the wee yellow man half way along Wellpark Terrace and at the other side of the gardens (which used to be the railway line), sits Mount Bartholomew.

It's 'sort of' behind the Royal Hotel - the big white building.

Or, alternatively, go along to the end of Wellpark Terrace where it meets Ford Road, turn right into Ford Road and Mount Bartholomew is 1st on the right.

Anne

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 11:57 BST (UK) »

Thanks to a reorganisation of local government in 1975, the present local authority boundaries are largely irrelevant for historical research, except that archives now tend to be held according to the newfangled boundaries.

Also, you need to be quite clear when you are referring to the County and when you are referring to the parish. Parishes are mutually exclusive, that means that a place cannot be in more than one parish, though this can be confused by boundary adjustments over time, and there are some places with the same names in adjacent parishes. Also, some parishes are partly in one county and partly in another.

For purposes of genealogical research, the parish is the basis on which information was usually recorded.

The Burgh of Stirling is mostly in the parish of Stirling in the County of Stirling (also known as Stirlingshire but never as 'County Stirling' or 'Stirling County') but the town expanded into the adjacent parish of St Ninians.
The parish of Denny is in the County of Stirling.
Bonnybridge is a village in the parish of Falkirk in the County of Stirling.

For lots of useful information about what is where, explore http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/STI/index.html

Maps used to show the parish boundaries, but the current ones don't. You can view older maps with parish boundaries at http://maps.nls.uk/index.html, or you can buy second-hand copies of the old one-inch-to-the-mile maps, which also show parish boundaries.

Since 1975 the County of Stirling ceased to be an administrative area, though it continues to exist as a historic and ceremonial county. It was mostly split between Stirling District and Falkirk District. Bonnybridge will be in Falkirk District, and I expect Denny probably is too. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.