Author Topic: Germany - Johan George Riet  (Read 528 times)

Offline robang66

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Germany - Johan George Riet
« on: Monday 07 July 14 11:25 BST (UK) »
My husband's 7x grandfather is Johan George Riet who migrated from the Palatine region in Germany, through England, onboard the ship "Midfort" in December 1709.  Unfortunately, he died onboard and his wife continued to New York with their 8 children.  They settled in Schoharie Valley, N.Y.  I have been researching the correct name of his wife, and the surname varies greatly.  Her name is Anna Catherina Sterf or Bern or even Anspach has been mentioned, though this seems a distant possibility.  There are so many trees out there and no agreement on her correct name.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ireland, Scotland, England, United States, Germany, Australia.

Offline shirleylds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Germany - Johan George Riet
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 July 14 13:21 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this? http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/a/y/Patricia-Saylor/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0829.html
Did you know you can view German records at your local Mormon family history center.
regards

Offline robang66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Germany - Johan George Riet
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 July 14 13:35 BST (UK) »
Good Morning:  Thanks for quick reply.  Yes, I had seen that.  I have three sites that name her as Bern and three others that show Sterf.  The first daughter's name is Maria Bern Riet.  As you know, trees on Ancestry can't be relied on too much because of members 'borrowing' and recording to their tree.  The ship's manifest just shows Anna Catharina, the U.S. and Canada Passenger and Immigration Lists show Bern, but a book written about the 'Tulpehocken Reeds' (my husband's family branch) shows Sterf.  The maiden name Bern was found on a Family Group Sheet provided by Joseph A. Meiser, but another source lists her maiden name as Sterf.  You can see my dilemma.  Thanks for your help.  I'll try German records again.  I hadn't had too much success there though.   
Ireland, Scotland, England, United States, Germany, Australia.