Author Topic: roberts family from bethesda  (Read 9347 times)

Offline kassejayne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: roberts family from bethesda
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 December 08 17:36 GMT (UK) »
your right about pockets of welsh speakers in Liverpool and St Helens...were there was an area called Welsh Row...the little welsh chapel is still here but now there is no one attending.
Back then St Helens was an industrial town with chemical, brick and glass works and the like....how anyone survived past the age of forty is a miracle due to the polution and it was once known as the vilest town in Lancashire....not the best place to leave the beautiful scenery of Bethesda for, but I suppose they had to go were the work was.

kassejayne
Riley Smith Dillon Roberts Smart Ryder Lancaster Wilson Deane Garton  Lay Mather Mercer Jump Blyth

Offline Gjmmcdonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 October 13 23:44 BST (UK) »
Did anyone get any further with this? I'm trying to trace family called Roberts who moved from Bethesda to St Helens ... These could well be them, so grateful for any information!!

Offline kassejayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Gjmmcdonald

I am from a St Helens Roberts family. Who is it you are looking for?
I don't have ancestry but I may have someone in my tree that is connected to you.
Riley Smith Dillon Roberts Smart Ryder Lancaster Wilson Deane Garton  Lay Mather Mercer Jump Blyth

Offline Gjmmcdonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 21:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply ...
The Roberts family I am referring to moved from Bethesda to St Helens - it's just part of my general family history compilation I need info for ...

The family includes/s Rita (my mum), Horace, Richard, Edith Renee, Doris, Anne, Eric, John, Elizabeth, William as children - their mother, Mary Elizabeth (nee Lancaster) her husband William Roberts (d 1967) - his siblings Robert and Elizabeth - their father John Roberts (not sure of mother) ... And HIS father, Robert, who married an Ann Parry (seems to be the Bethesda connection ... I think they also had children Anne and Catherine.

I know one of the Bethesda connection worked in the slate quarry (but I also know that's not a big help!!) ...

Do any of these ring any bells? Any help gratefully received!!

Offline kassejayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 13:34 BST (UK) »
I know your mum .......her sister, Elizabeth Roberts was my grandmother, her daughter Eunice was my mother.
John Roberts wife was Elizabeth Owens from Llanerchymedd, Anglesey, Wales. I was never able to get much further with that side of the family. I have heard that John was a preacher of some sort but have never been able to verify it

Karen

Offline Gjmmcdonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 20:07 BST (UK) »
Wow!! That makes you some sort of cousin of mine!? So, hello!!

Let me find out what I can and I'll let you know!

Offline kassejayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 21:33 BST (UK) »
i think you are cousin to my mum....If I remember right...Rita and my mum are around the same age. 
Do you know where John and Elizabeth are buried. I'm guessing Parr St Peters.

I did go a couple of years ago, but the old part of the cemetery is so overgrown that it was impossible to find anything.
I know Robert Ryder is buried there...don't think he has a headstone, which is a surprise seeing as he was a successful busines man. I'm guessing his father Richard Ryder is buried there as well. he came from Cork.
karen

Offline familyline

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 10 April 14 05:19 BST (UK) »
hi,
I don't know if this site could be of help, there are quite a lot of John Roberts listed.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CAE/Llandegai/Llandegai51S-R.html
Regards
lynne