Author Topic: roberts family from bethesda  (Read 9352 times)

Offline kassejayne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: roberts family from bethesda
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 September 08 16:26 BST (UK) »
hi
I've got the certificate for William Roberts born 7th March 1893 in St Helens his mothers maiden name was  Elizabeth Owens..which I hoped would narrow things down when searching for his parents marriage certificate but up to now no joy
I've found a couple young women with the same name and same age on the  Isle of Anglesey Elizabeth came from Llanerchymedd...and the one girl from there is a lodger is there a way of finding her parents?
you mentioned census numbers? not sure what I am looking for

kassejayne
Riley Smith Dillon Roberts Smart Ryder Lancaster Wilson Deane Garton  Lay Mather Mercer Jump Blyth

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 September 08 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
census numbers are the reference number - e.g. RG13; Piece: 3525; Folio: 114; Page: 9 - that's the reference for the 1901 census with the family.

This looks as though it could be a possible marriage:
Free BMD site - March 1883 Carnarvon. I always think it is difficult with Welsh research with the significance of certain surnames in certain areas. That marriage was the only one that comes up.

1881 RG11; Piece: 5591; Folio: 43; Page: 14
has an Elizabeth b 1863 Llanerchymedd - father Thomas - may be her - if that marriage was her, then you would find her father's name.
As their second son was Thomas - that's a bit of support perhaps. I can't see the one who is a lodger.

Just realised I have done this using Owen and not Owens  ???
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kassejayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 September 08 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
thanks for that...your right about the names.....robert, owens, williams and jones there are so many and they tend to have the same forenames handed down..it makes it so complicated.
it would help if I could pronounce the welsh words so I could phone the local history societies for  bethesda/anglesy information ..I went into a library in wales and asked how I pronounced a location name..the lady told me and smiled...I think she knew by the look on my face that there was no way i could get my tongue round it...and she was right..I couldn't

kassejayne
Riley Smith Dillon Roberts Smart Ryder Lancaster Wilson Deane Garton  Lay Mather Mercer Jump Blyth

Offline kassejayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 December 08 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have been given a birth certificate for John Roberts who was born in Bethesda in 1863, his fathers name was Robert Roberts and his mothers name was Ann Parry.
I have tried the family search and other search records but cannot come up with anyone with those names...can you help
cheers
kassejayne

Offline WelshGen

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 December 08 21:42 GMT (UK) »
The 1871 census is showing ...
Living at 32 Twr, llanllechid
Robert Roberts, 37, labourer, b. Carnarvon? Conway
Ann Roberts, 31, b. Llandudno
Hannah Roberts 14, scholar, b. Holyhead, Anglesey
John Roberts, 7, b. Llanllechid
Ann Roberts 5, b. Llanllechid
May Roberts 2, b. Llanllechid
 :(Christmas is coming groan, bah humbug
Jones, Parry, Williams on Lleyn, Hughes, Thomas on Anglesey/Caernarvonshire, Blunt, Davies, Lee in Dudley, Staffs
Cox, Humphreys and Keech, Bedford
My website http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/

Offline kassejayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 December 08 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thanks for that information
I had found a record on the family search that showed a John Roberts with his mother Ann who had remarried a man named Thomas Owen aged 70 she was only 42  and it had some of the children listed on your research....the only one missing being Hannah who I  assume had left by the 1881 census..
As I had no name for Johns birth father I couldn't be sure if I had the right family at all, but I think your information confirms it.
many thanks for taking the time to look for me I really appreciate it
kassejayne

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 December 08 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kassejane and welcome to Rootschat

I have only just logged on, and found that the good people on this list seem to have found your family already.  If you need any more info. on Bethesda please let me know, as I spent my early years there!

Sandgrounder
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline kassejayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 December 08 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for that
I visited Bethesda and the slate quarry museum near snowdonia not too long ago...they have some houses there that shows the living conditions that the residents of around 1890 were living in, and it was pretty grim.
I have read of the troubles with the strikes and the poverty that that brought  in the later 1890's but my family had moved by then (1892)and I wonder what would have made a family which spoke no English uproot and move what would have seemed so far away.
I know work would have been a big factor but was there nothing nearer back then.
I wish I could say that the work and living conditions in St Helens were they settled  were better but at that time I don't think they were.

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 December 08 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

Liverpool was the place to be for work in those days so many of the residents would have moved there.  There were probably pockets of Welsh speakers all over the city.

From Liverpool they would have found work in the St. Helens area (not too far away)

As you say I'm sure it was just as grim in St. Helens as in Bethesda but they had to follow the work.

Sandgrounder
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport