Author Topic: JOHN ELLIS JONES (ELIDIRFAB)  (Read 10599 times)

Offline beetle21h

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JOHN ELLIS JONES (ELIDIRFAB)
« on: Wednesday 23 March 11 11:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find further information on my Great Great Grandfather born in Llanddeiniolen in Caernarvonshire, North Wales. John Ellis was born in 1840 to parents John and Benneth and lived in a house named Park in 1841. John Ellis (GGF) worked all his life in the Dinorwig Slate Quarry as a slate examiner and was a talented bard in the Welsh language. His poetical name was ELIDIRFAB. I gather he won a few Eisteddfod chairs for his bardic works, one possibly in Liverpool. He assumed the surname JONES (His Mother's Maiden name) as another slate examiner at the quarry had the same name...JOHN Ellis. Does anyone know anymore about John Ellis (Jones) or has anyone got access to a photograph of him..? He died in 1911. The centenary of his death will be on the 6th May of this year.

I can't seem to go much further than John Ellis Snr and his Wife Benneth (Jones) who was born on Anglesey. Can anyone help..?

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN ELLIS JONES (ELIDIRFAB)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello beeetle21h,

Did you know that there is a Facebook group for the descendants of John Ellis (Jones)?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=241705966205&v=photos

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=241705966205

There is a photo of him on the second link.

It seems as though the genealogy has been investigated by a number of people.

Jo.

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 22:10 GMT (UK) »
He started work as a Stone cutter in the Mills ' Ponc' at the quarry, and was a weigher/examiner ? at the Albion 'Ponc' .  ( ' Bargen Dinorwig ' : Emyr Jones )
Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline beetle21h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 March 11 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

Thanks for the reply....I actually started the Facebook pages...I was wondering if anyone else had further information or pictures...the one I posted on facebook is very grainy and the only photo I know of.

Thanks Huwcyn...very interesting.

There is also a chapter about Elidirfab in a book called Canrif y Chwarelwr by Emyr Jones.

Offline helen142

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 May 14 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

We are researching the Ellis family of Bangor North Wales and offshoots within Caernarvonshire. My great great father was John Ellis born Bangor 1809 married Jane and we believe strongly that he was the son of Evan Ellis and Jane Lloyd. If so he had a Sister Ann born1821 who married Griffith Ellis ,also born 1821 at Llanberis. This Griffith Ellis , as well as his father of the same name, was the Quarry manager at Dinorwig Quarry a very well known and much admired member of the local community. He died in 1869 and his funeral was a very large one. The obituary lists the funeral
members and the cars in which they rode. John Ellis Jones( Elidirfab) was in the 5th car with other cousins of the deceased. I wonder if you have any details of the extended family? We have found a great deal about the Griff Ellis family of Llanberis and also his widow Ann's family. Our Ellis' are also listed and we believe ( from family knowledge etc) that they were related and also believe that our John Ellis was a brother to Ann Ellis 1821 and Griff Ellis' widow but cannot find his baptism to confirm this. Long story sorry! However the family is very large and full of John Ellis' and Griffith Ellis'

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
!)
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 May 14 18:22 BST (UK) »
I thiank that Ann Ellis (Bap 21/03/1820)was the daughter of Evan Ellis and Jane his wife . I think Evan Ellis lived at one of the farms between Penrhosgarnedd and Pentir, Brithdir , but that the family moved to Llanddeiniolen sometime in the middle of the 19th century. I remember a descendant telling me it might have been because of a dispute with the landlord. I have found a possible birth for Evan Ellis, to a John Ellis and Ann of Tros Canol (Tros Canol is by the entrance to 'Briwas', where Ysgol Garnedd is now) .
      I was not aware of Evan Ellis having a son John. Evan Ellis's age might suggest John being the eldest son, which would be consistent with his own father being John. I know of 6 other children (IGI), being William, Robert, Edward , Anne, Evan ( x 2) . I think the baptisms might have taken place at Capel Y Graig. ( Where I was baptised a while back !). Griffith Ellis was the son of Ellis Griffith and Elizabeth Closs.
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 May 14 19:21 BST (UK) »
Apologies : Griffith Ellis (Husband of Anne Ellis) had parents Griffith Ellis and Catherine Griffith. The grandparents were Ellis Griffith and Elizabeth Closs.
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline helen142

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 May 14 19:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this. We do have all details of the Evan  Ellis Family from 1813 to around 1900 .They were tenants at Brithdir farm Bangor . He died in 1827 having lost 2 children named  Evan in 1819and 1824. Another son born in 1827 survived at least until 1851. His son William - wife named Margaret carried on at Brithdir bit moved to llanddeiniolen (Afon Goch) in the 1870s. Ann married Griffith Ellis (quarry manager at Dinorwig) and moved to the managers house at Llanberis following the death of his father. His father died in 1860 and Griffith, ann's husband in 1869 aged 44. They had 7 children
- 6 girls and one boy (another Griffith Ellis ) who died aged 31 leaving 3 children.one of them was the 4th Griffith Ellis and on his father's death moved to live with his grandmother Ann Ellis who after the death of her husband became a farmer ar Goetre Isaf Farm near Treborth Bangor. We have followed the family thoroughly and they all fit in with an essay written by an Aunt years ago. She mentions the 6 girls by name and details the work of Griff Ellis.
For a while we believed our ancestors came from the Griff Ellis family but we now think it must be from Ann Ellis whose maiden name was also Ellis!
Our John Ellis also lived in Bangor at Bryniau Farm which was very near Brithdir Farm and Goetre Isaf. He had 10 children and they
all carried the same names as Evan Ellis' sons and
daughters(Another pointer to being the same family)
Evan Ellis and Jane Lloyd married in 1808 at Bangor and our John Ellis was born in 1809. No baptism can be found until William Ellis was born in 1813.

Any help would be much appreciated

We live in Gwynedd and I am on Ancestry if that is of use to you to see the tre.

Diolch yn fawr

Offline beetle21h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 May 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
The two Griffith Ellis' are both buried in St Peris Churchyard in Nant Peris. Both men being commemorated with memorials, the son's memorial being a significant marble obelisk on a slate plinth in the churchyard and the father having a memorial plaque inside the church itself.
I'm attaching a photo of the internal plaque for your information.
Helen: Is there any chance you could post the Newspaper obituary for Griffith Ellis Jr in 1869 which refers to John Ellis Jones (Elidirfab) on here..?
John