Author Topic: Any descendants of Tobias Codd out there?  (Read 45488 times)

Offline malcodd

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any descendants of Tobias Codd out there?
« Reply #72 on: Monday 06 January 14 12:34 GMT (UK) »
I found the following message at Genforum

Re: Pembrokeshire Codds
Posted by: Penny Smith (ID *****0748) Date: October 26, 2010 at 12:02:33
In Reply to: Pembrokeshire Codds by Stacey Codd  of 431 

Hello Stacey
I am also decended from the Codd line.
William (1747-1812), Tobias (1773-1852), Tobias (1814-1851), Abel(1842-1920), Beatrice Martha Codd(married Puttuck)(1874-1930), Lilian Puttuck(married Poole) my grandmother.

I had also recently read that the Codd's decended from 6 brothers who came over in 1300's from Sweden, but they were millers of corn and wheat etc., not fishermen. That is why most of the decendents lived in various mills around Pembrokeshire areas. The old book that you refer to is called The Midas Touch and was written by a Codd in 1980 but I have been unable to trace it via the internet.

I am interested to learn more about your father's side of the family and who he is descended from please.

Kind regards
Penny

-

Offline Zoe Mollot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 05:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am the project coordinator of the Codd YDna project. We have two linked projects where we are trying to figure out the early history of the Codd families, Devon, Cornwall and Ireland are all well represented but we have no Codd families from Wales as yet. It seems there are some pretty active Codd genealogists really interested in their family history in Wales and we would love you to be part of the project. The Codds in Wales are supposed to be related to the Irish Codds it would be amazing to see if we can prove the links through DNA. I have found one Codd family still living on the Carew estate in Tenby documented as being there since the 1700's and i find this intriguing as the Codd family entered Ireland with the family from this estate. Are you directly related to Tobias Codd? Would you consider being part of the project? All the best, Zoe

Offline Zoe Mollot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm, apparently I cant reply to your message until I have posted three times in this forum so I will post a few times here, also it says my messages are full at the moment so I am not certain i will be able to read messages until i have done three posts either. I was able to read your message thank you for responding so quickly I really appreciate it. I am so glad to discover the Welsh Codds are as interested in their family history as we are. I will put more in the next post, Zoe

Offline Zoe Mollot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm, do you know who your most distant male Codd ancestor is? How far back have you been able to get in your research? Would you be at all interested or willing to do a dna test to be part of our project? It has been intriguing so far at this stage there does not seem to be any dna connection between the Codds in England and the Codds in Ireland. In Ireland we have a large group that are directly related to each other and seem to come from one family originating in 1680, dna has helped us in our research. The history that we have is that the Codds came to Ireland with Strongbow in the 1100's and were richly rewarded. They seem to have been based in Wales before that and were Normans do Welsh Codds have this same story of being Norman and intimately linked with the de Clares? Of course we could all be tennants that lived on Codd lands and took the owners surname as surnames were just being adopted at that time. I think it would be very interesting to see if the Irish Codds and Welsh Codds share the same dna or if we are completely different, and how the Welsh Codds are related to each other.

Offline Zoe Mollot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 21:02 BST (UK) »
Are there any Codd researchers in Wales who might be interested in helping us with the Codd dna project at FTDNA to start to research the Codd families in Wales and see how they might be related to each other? Devon, Cornwall and Ireland are all well represented Wales is the only country not represented so far. The Cornwall project has been particularly fascinating if anyone wants to take a look you can search our projects at FTDNA or google the one name study Coad by Joe Flood his work is remarkable. Zoe

Offline malcodd

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 15:17 GMT (UK) »
I've made a few discoveries about the descendants of Tobias Codd and Letitica Hughes. They had a son, John, who was born in 1853. However I cannot find him on any census forms or a death certificate. Also Tobias Codd and Mary Jenkins had 2 children born and died between 2 Census years. Benjamin was born and died in 1890 and Beatrice was born in 1891 and died in 1893, a year after her mother Mary.

Offline Emily Chaplin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 09 September 17 19:11 BST (UK) »
Tobias Codd is my 5th x great grandfather. My great grandmother was Emma Ormond b. February 1895. d. 1977. Married to Hubert Manning, they lived in Johnston where I grew up until the age of 11. I know live on the Fylde coast, Lancashire. ..... Pembrokeshire will always be my home. (I hope this page is still valid)😉😉

Offline malcodd

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 09 September 17 21:56 BST (UK) »
Yes it is - there was a gathering of the Codds a few years ago in Marloes. Some of the Ormonds moved to America in the Early 19th Century