Author Topic: Sweden to London, 1946  (Read 661 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Sweden to London, 1946
« on: Monday 23 March 09 14:06 GMT (UK) »
My grandad is not on the Ancesrty passenger lists.  He left an unhappy life in Sweden in 1946, and sailed to London. All I know is his name and birthdate, plus his parents names - but would I be able to find his naturalization records somewhere or are they confidential?  He died in 1981.     Could I trace his birth?  I dont know exactly where he was born but he attended a boarding svhool, poss in Stockholm.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sweden to London, 1946
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 March 09 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Other threads:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,119727.0.html
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,303631.0.html

As has been said before, he would not be in the ship lists because ships from Europe were not recorded. There doesn't seem to be anything about him on the London Gazette, where I would expect there to be if he became a citizen. He may not have.

http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.scan-balt.sweden.counties.vasternorrland/160/mb.ashx
 - from here you have a couple of other spellings to try - Krilow and Krylov.

Other possible things I can think to try - tracing the witnesses at his marriage in case they were some sort of relative or otherwise connected to the Swedish side of the family, and looking for occupational records.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sweden to London, 1946
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 March 09 17:55 GMT (UK) »
THANKYOU for your reply, I do appreciate it.  I know he came over after WW2 and stayed in London, then returned to Sweden for some reason. He then came back over to England, and went to live at Rainworth, Notts in some housing set up by the government for foreign workers, so I presumed he'd become a citizen. He married in Mansfield in 1956.  The marriage witnesses were his wifes family unfortunately. After so many years of wanting to find something out about him, I don't think I ever will. The only other thing, is that he was made to use his stepfathers surname of Swenson/Swensson?  in Sweden, and changed it back when he came over here.  Would a record exist of his name change?  Strictly speaking he was Valdis Valdeman (forenames, which are Latvian) but the Swedish version was Waldis Waldeman.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).