Author Topic: Christian [Charles] Hansen 1844  (Read 2068 times)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
Christian [Charles] Hansen 1844
« on: Saturday 11 April 09 23:16 BST (UK) »
Need help finding information of my GG Grandfather Charles Hansen. Born Schleswig Denmark, excuse the attempt at spelling, I'm reading bad handwriting.
Father Hendrick, mother Dorothy Poulson, married Susannah Williams nee Wornes in British North America. St John New Brunswick I believe, cant find any details on that, late 1860's.
Died in Australia in 1926, I would like to find out more about his family or where he was born in Denmark.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christian [Charles] Hansen 1844
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 April 09 00:35 BST (UK) »
Have a read through:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schleswig-Holstein

Do you know when he came to Australia?
Was he naturalized there?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 April 09 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yes he was naturallized here after arriving in 1871. I have just attached his naturalization certificate.
Trouble is that he came via Canada where he married Susannah and the New Zealand where their daughter Mary was born, I have her birth certificate.
I will have a look on Wikipedia for Schleswig.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 April 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
Okay, so that helps a lot more. Christian Phillip Hansen, 29 Mar 1844, birthplace looks like "Afensund"?

Where did the parents' names come from? Death certificate?
I just found a Christian Philip Hansen, b. 29 Mar 1844, parents names Hinrich Hansen, Maria Dorothea Christensen, christened in Broager 21 Apr 1844.  He was still in Broager on 10th April 1859 when he was confirmed (Opslag 62 in the records at http://www.arkivalieronline.dk/ )

http://www.arkivalieronline.dk shows this record, in which the parents are of Egersund.

This area was formerly known as Northern Schleswig.

At http://www.ddd.dda.dk/dddform_uk.asp?sit=3
 You can search the censuses. The latest on that site for Broager is 1845, and that shows Christen Hansen with Hinrich Hansen and Maria Dorth. Christensen and various siblings. His father's occupation is given as Ziegeleiarbeiter, (worker in a brickyard).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 April 09 16:43 BST (UK) »
Some children of Hinrich Hansen and Maria Dorothea Christensen listed on LDS site (www.familysearch.org): Maria Christian (1833), Hinrich (1838), Cecilia Magdalena (1841), Christian Philip (1844), Maria Dorothea (1849).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 April 09 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot for that, I had a look at the site, I may recheck it later but at the moment I'm going to trust that it is my GG Grandfather. Given that his daughter who would have given details on his death cetificate was born in New Zealand and grew up in Australia I guess she wouldn't have been sure of the spelling and names. Maria Dorothea could certainly have been shortened to Dorothea and I have learned not to trust womens surnames, they changed them too often or perhaps it was a mistake on the death certificate.
mum mum