Author Topic: Mary Jane FREEMAN  (Read 5914 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jane FREEMAN
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 August 14 01:35 BST (UK) »
The reason for my enquiry is that I am very much involved in researching those families who were either born, married, lived or died in Walhalla.
Leigh

Is this another of those families?

Cando

It would appear it is -
http://www.walhalla.org.au/news/1111Names.htm

Wonder if the group is aware of Leigh's public family tree which includes not only his own ancestors but those who had some sort of link with Walhalla. Over 60,000 names which incidentally include my gggrandfather who did not emigrate to Australia, only his wife and children made the journey.

The group welcome any information about those on their database along with any amendments.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 August 14 04:50 BST (UK) »
This looks like the burial of John Samuel WEAVER at Sandgate (near Newcastle)
WEAVER   JOHN S   1910-12-09

There are a number of burials with the name BABER, some of which include the forename Sidmun/Sidnum.  Ada is there also.

http://www.sandgatecemetery.org.au/index.php/search-our-virtual-records/undertake-a-search

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 August 14 06:57 BST (UK) »
The reason for my enquiry is that I am very much involved in researching those families who were either born, married, lived or died in Walhalla.
Leigh

Is this another of those families?

Cando

It would appear it is -
http://www.walhalla.org.au/news/1111Names.htm

Wonder if the group is aware of Leigh's public family tree which includes not only his own ancestors but those who had some sort of link with Walhalla. Over 60,000 names which incidentally include my gggrandfather who did not emigrate to Australia, only his wife and children made the journey.

The group welcome any information about those on their database along with any amendments.

Cando

Mmmm..

So many names ::)

You would certainly have to buy a lot of certificates to verify all that.

Cando, perhaps it's just meant as kind of "loose guide" more than a valid historical reference document.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 August 14 07:44 BST (UK) »
I think the Walhalla Group website has been compiled from various resources and perhaps Aussie has contributed information.    I did see the marriage for John Balfour PHILLIPS and Mary Jane FREEMAN there with a mention of two children.  I emailed them a bit on my ancestor as he was the mining surveyor for East Gippsland and the number of children to his marriage was incorrect. 

Spent a camping holiday in the area many, many moons ago when our eldest was a toddler :)

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 August 14 02:11 BST (UK) »
Perhaps aussie will get to a computer at the weekend and let us know if the information we have offered is of interest.

I know not everyone has continual access to a computer.

Sue 

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HelenEB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 12:53 BST (UK) »
Well done, everyone. You have (almost) pieced this together. I'm Elizabeth Ann & John Edward Freeman's gg grand daughter and have been trying to piece this together for over 30 years!

Elizabeth Ann was born in Adelaide, 28/May 1854, second child of John WASLEY and Mary Ann SPARGO. John and Mary Ann had married in Cornwall prior to travelling to Adelaide in 1848. John died on 19/Oct 1853, 7 months before Elizabeth's birth. Mary Ann's father and second family also came to Adelaide in 1849 and subsequently moved to Victoria by 1856. We presume Mary Ann moved with them or her second husband, surname RICHARDS. I'm still looking for this link! I'd love some help!

Next we find Mary Ann RICHARDS marrying John Samuel WEAVER (the grandpa in the grave at Sandgate) in 1863 in Forbes. Mary Ann and John Samuel then moved to the NZ goldfields of the south island, near Ross/Hokitika, by 1867 where Mary Ann and John WASLEY's eldest daughter, Mary Jane WASLEY marries Joseph BOTTOMLEY. The first two of their ten children are born at Ross, NZ, and the subsequent in Victoria.

Elizabeth Ann WASLEY married John Edward FREEMAN at Okarito NZ in 1869, aged 15. Their eldest daughter, Ada, was born at Five Mile Beach goldfield in 1870. Second daughter Elizabeth Ann (Annie) was born in Hokitika in 1872. Third daughter, Mary Jane (Ollie), was born 1874 at Home Rule goldfield near Gulgong. Son, John Edward was born Dec 31, 1876, at Log Paddock goldfield, near Mudgee.

Elizabeth Ann WASLEY/FREEMAN died 30 Jan 1877 (aged 22 years), and baby John Edward died 31 March 1877, both at Log Paddock. I presume the newspaper article cited is preferring to these two deaths. Interestingly, I think the article is also referring to husband John Edward FREEMAN, who was the publican at Log Paddock.

John Edward FREEMAN remarried a 20 year old widow Elizabeth Jane ROSEMANII (nee DAVIS) in Dec 1877, who also had one child to her first marriage, Joseph. John Edward and Eliza Jane only child, John Edward FREEMAN was born 17 Nov 1878. John Edward (snr) died in 1879 at Log Paddock.

The three daughters of John Edward FREEMAN and Elizabeth Ann (nee Wasley) were orphaned in 1879, aged 9, 7 and 5. They went to live with their grandmother, Mary Ann WEAVER (Richards/Wasley/nee Spargo) and her third husband, John Samuel WEAVER.

I have original copies (drawn up in 1877) of Elizabeth Ann's 1854 birth and her father's 1853 death, so it made me think that perhaps the children's grandmother bought these documents after her daughter's death in a sort of custody, proof of guardianship case.

After the girls went to their grandparents, the family bible says they lived in Sydney for some time in mid 1880s then to Melbourne by 1890s. The bible also has written in it in little children's writing: Mary Ann and John Samuel Weaver - we will always remember you, and the girls' names, all with the same birthdate - curious that they didn't know the true dates.

Eldest sister, Ada, joined the Salvation Army and was posted to Newcastle around 1899, where she met and married Sidmun BABER in 1900. John Samuel WEAVER (Ada's grandmother's third husband) moved to Newcastle and lived with Ada and Sid sometime thereafter. Ada and Sidmun were buried with John Samuel WEAVER (died 1910), in Sandgate Cemetery.

Second sister, Elizabeth Ann (Annie) FREEMAN, also joined the Salvation Army. She married Alfred HARDY in 1908 and had three children - Linda, Enid and Alfred.

Youngest sister, Mary Jane FREEMAN, married John Balfour PHILLIPS in Melbourne in 1894. Their twins (Ella Olive and Clement John) were born in Walhalla in 1898. After this they moved to Waihi NZ, another gold mining location. By 1920, Mary Jane was widow and living in Kentucky USA with her daughter. Unfortunately Ella died just before her wedding. Clement joined the Navy. By 1929 Mary Jane was living in Queensland where she married Paul MAGGS. She died in 1961.

One question I still have burning is - where did baby John Edward FREEMAN, son of John Edward and Eliza Jane FREEMAN, b 1878, go? I've tied to trace this through his mother's subsequent movements and remarriages, and those also of his half brothers, but to no avail. I'd love help with this!

After John Edward FREEMAN's death Eliza Jane (Freeman/Rosemanii nee Davis) remarried Thomas HOWER in 1880 Mudgee. They had three children (Thomas Christian 1880, Herbert H 1885-1944, Clarendon C 1887-1887) before Thomas HOWER died 1889 at Dubbo. Eliza Jane (Hower/Freeman/Rosemanii nee Davis) then married Hector Angus MCNABB at Nyngan in 1891. They had two children (Hector James Alexander b.1892 Dubbo-d.1965 & Rubina Gladys b.1892 Bourke-d.1894 near Cobar).

Anyway, if you've read this far WELL DONE!

And WELL DONE for those who pieced together much of the above.

I'd love to hear from someone.

Thank you.
Helen

Offline jamxr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 March 17 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

I think you may have found your John Edward Freeman.  Like you I have been researching the Hower/Howe/McNabb/Davis etc family for over 25 years.  I am a descendant of Edward James McNabb.  I had always thought Elizabeth Lila Jane nee Davis may have had Edward James & Joseph prior to the Hower marriage.
A few things you mention about the Freemans etc seem to tie with verbal information I have been told.
I will send you a PM.

Offline KAF0982

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 September 21 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

I think you may have found your John Edward Freeman.  Like you I have been researching the Hower/Howe/McNabb/Davis etc family for over 25 years.  I am a descendant of Edward James McNabb.  I had always thought Elizabeth Lila Jane nee Davis may have had Edward James & Joseph prior to the Hower marriage.
A few things you mention about the Freemans etc seem to tie with verbal information I have been told.
I will send you a PM.

Hi Helen and JAMXR,

I'm also a descendant of Edward James McNabb, looking at the family history on this side for the first time in many years. After stumbling across this thread and looking a few things up, it seems I have also tweaked to what may have likely become of the child John Edward Freeman. I know this chat is a few years old, but if either of you are still active on here, could you send me a message?

Cheers