Author Topic: Derriaghy L.O.L. 135 - 1934  (Read 40885 times)

Offline Magheragall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Derriaghy L.O.L. 135 - 1934
« Reply #18 on: Friday 04 December 09 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Murphy of Kilcorig

I have a typed note from June 1919 which reads

"Joe Murphy's grandfather William lived opposite Greenfields brought first two numbers of L.O.L. to Magheragall, gave one to Boomer in Derriaghy."

Offline Magheragall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 December 09 17:47 GMT (UK) »
with your interest I thought you might be interested in this note as well,

Royal Orange Association County Antrim District
The Right Worshipful Doctor William Atkinson of Belfast Grand Master
The Revd Philip Johnston Grand Chaplain
Brother William Hart of Lisburn Grand Secretary

General Committee

The Right Worshipful Doctor William Atkinson Grand Master Chairman

Edward Hogg Esq 354 Lisburn
The Revd Philip Johnston 317 Ballymacash
Thomas McCully 224 Soliderstown
Michael Boomer 137 Derriaghy
Stephen Daniel 238 Belfast
James Innes 152 Lisburn
John Johnston 244 Lisburn
Thomas Briggs 121 Maze
William Johnston 143 Ballinderry
Thomas Shillington 403 Aghagallon
William Murphy 146 Magheragall*
William Hart Grand Secretary

This was the First County Grand Lodge formed April 1798

From a Lecture given by Brother James Verner Hart at the request of the Brethen of the Eldon Orange Lodge No 7 in their rooms in the Orange Hall College Street Belfast March 8th 1875.

* GG Father of James Murphy of Thornhedge
* James Murphy believes that one masonic lodge met in Thornhedge

the writing looks like thornhedge but i know of no such place

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 December 09 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi fmni, While reading the Christ Church Derriaghy  pages again, I see on p.14 part 11.It speaks of freemasonry in Derriaghy.
"Before 1780 a number of Freemasons were meeting informally at Milltown Inn (Travellers Rest) owned by the Alderdice family. In 1782 they applied for a Warrant, and the selected name was St.Patricks and the warrant was 602." The place got too small and William Alderdice of the Inn, a member of the Lodge,offered a site and the decision to build was in 1888 after the continuous occupation of 106 years, the LOdge held their last meeting in the Inn.

"In the year 1889, a formation of a Royal Arch Chapter was done and their number was also 602.
What is the Royal Arch Chapter?
The chapter now meet at Derriaghy Hall.

Now, My grandfathers badges on the scarf say L.O.L 602.  And The son of John Partridge, Boomer, my grandfather have always been Orange so this is confusing.
As the Freemasons and the L.O.L aren't connected, do you think there was a mistake in the church's writings?

If you can find anything on the chapter that met at the Inn, that should solve that query.

Co.Antrim- Boomer (Bulmer), Partridge, Houston, Alderdice,
Co. Down- Leckey (lackey etc), Taylor,

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 December 09 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Josephy Murphy of Kilcorig

I have a typed note from June 1919 which reads

"Joe Murphy's grandfather William lived opposite Greenfields brought first two numbers of L.O.L. to Magheragall, gave one to Boomer in Derriaghy."
Hi Magheragall, thank you for this information.
Do you know what the note was about?

Offline Magheragall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 December 09 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Well its "Various Notes" made by a man between 1906 and 1940. The notes were to be used to write a history but he never got that far.

The particular note above was one of the many thoughts that Joseph Murphy shared in June 1919 and it was noted down by the historian. So they don't always make a lot of sense because they are notes taken of a conversation and then typed up. The history was never written. Its a wee bit of oral history noted down and perhaps to FMNI it makes a bit of sense seeing he/she is into Orange history in Derriaghy.

I posted it because it seems to tell a story, Joes grandfather William who lived opposite the Greenfields got the first two numbers of L.O.L  and gave one to Boomer in Derriaghy and kept the other for magheragall.

I hope that helped you

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 25 December 09 13:04 GMT (UK) »
That information is indeed useful. Now I know who their close neighbour was. I believe now that they were best friends, of course being "brothers" in the Lodge, but also Boomer named one  of his sons Joseph and I always wondered where that name came from.It wasn't a tradional name for that family.
Thank you again. That makes me happy. :)
Merry Christmas

Offline Al L.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Larmours
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi:  Just signed up and saw your invitation to research Larmours.  Here's a brief outline of my Larmours (of what we know todate):
Samuel and Jenny Larmour (nee Ballagh) of Ballymiscaw (no marriage reg as yet)
Children:
William Larmour (1845)...bapt at Dundonald: remained at Ballymiscaw and later Moscow St. Belfast, likely buried at Dundonald, St Elizabeths church
Nathaniel Larmour(1844) and Ellinor Moore Ballyskeagh(my grt grandfather who came to Canada in 1875)
Mary (1842) baptised at Dundonald
Robert (1841)  came to Canada
Samuel  (1840)   came to Canada
Letitia (1838, baptised at Dundonald)
Jane  (1837) believed to have come to Canada with brothers
James (1835/36)  came to Canada about 1860
John (1831)  came to Canada with spouse, Marion Miller, and daughter, Jane (1855)
My uncle said their were  apparently 16 children. We know that their mother Jenny died in 1875 and possibly their father in 1867. Likely the remaining children that we  don't know about were born prior to John in 1831
Needing to obtain :  marriage registration for John Larmour and Marion Miller (Born1834/35) and married Sept 25, 1854 at Ballymacarrett.
Any ideas how to obtain the death registration for William Larmour and his spouse, Sarah Jane Larmour (died 1932 I believe) (nee Mawhinney); both probably buried at Dundonald (St Elizabeths church at the Larmour grave site). Seems the church does not have these records.  Of course we're (the Larmons in Ontario......I live in BC) always looking for the Larmours born prior to 1831 to Samuel and Jenny Larmour......may have lived elsewheres in Ireland prior to Ballymiscaw.

Lastly and important.... confusion in the name: all the Larmons here in BC and Ontario provinces were known as larmons; in Ireland they were all known as larmours(!); however on marriage documents of william and nathaniel. it is spelled both ways. Spent a lot of time going in the wrong direction, even when we were in Ireland in 1999!  Thanks so much, Al

Offline Al L.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Larmour history
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 December 10 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi:  I'm new to this site and somewhere on it (!) I posted information about my Larmour family history.  Saw your notes here and wondered if you picked up my message, Al

Offline mishapee2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello

My name is Karen McCarthy. I am a descendant of William & Dorothea McCarthy. I think your Dolly titterington is my Dorothea McCarthy.

Please contact me...

Karen