Author Topic: William Chapman of Abercorn  (Read 9213 times)

Offline Dalesman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Chapman of Abercorn
« on: Wednesday 04 June 14 16:29 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information regarding Wm. Chapman 1824-1875 and his family. I believe Wm. is buried in Abercorn Churchyard. In particular I have no record of his wife or even her name.
I would be grateful for any help.

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Chapman of Abercorn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Dalesman,
There is only one William Chapman who died in Abercorn, William Chapman died in Abercorn in 1883 and not in 1875, there are no William Chapmans anywhere in the West/Midlothian district who died in 1875.   There is one in Ayrshire and a few in Glasgow.

The William in Abercorn died 4/4/1883 in Woodend, Abercorn, and was married to Ann Hay.  His parents were Mungo Chapman and Agnes McKinley, his son Mungo Chapman signed the death certificate, son Mungo lived in Portobello, Edinburgh.  William died aged 67 making a birth year of abt 1816, again making his birth and death years different to the information you have given.  There is a headstone in Abercorn Churchyard to the William whose details I've given.  William was a Roadman, his father Mungo a dairyman.  I've checked the census returns and the only William I can find in Abercorn in the 1841, 51, 71, and 1881 census is the William above.

Sorry this is not the information you were looking for.    Cheers ... Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline Dalesman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 June 14 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Meg for the information regarding Wm. All the other names fit with the family. I had very little information of him, sincere thanks.
Bill

Offline Dalesman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 June 14 13:46 BST (UK) »
Did William have a brother George and how many children did William have?
Thanks.

Offline karabim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 October 14 12:33 BST (UK) »
William did have a brother George b1.7.1804 d26.4.1872.  He married Margaret Arbuckle. He was my husband's 2x greatgrandfather and I have his descendants if you are interested.

Offline Dalesman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi karabim
I'd be greateful for any information regarding George and his family line
Kind regards
Bill

Offline karabim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 October 14 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Bill
George b1.7.1804, d 26.4.1872, Margaret b8.10.1807, d2.4.1875.  Lived at Woodend Abercorn. Children: Alison b 1833, John b1837, James b 1839 d1840, William b1841, Agnes b1846 d1849, Margaret b1849 & James b1844.
  James, our Gt Grandfather mar Janet Henderson in 1865 he died in 1885 & she in 1935.  Children: William b 1866, Janet b1868, Margaret  b1870 d 1872, John b1872 Margaret b1878 d1974, James b1880 d1952, George b1865. 
 on the various siblingsJames our grandfather mar Janet Hunter in 1904. Children: James b1904, Peggy b1910, Archie b1912, William b1914, George b1920.  We are now into living family and I don't want to publish them.  I have some information on allthe siblings if required.

Offline Dalesman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 October 14 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi karabim
Thank you for the information which you sent to me. I would be grateful for any other relevant information regarding the Chapman family which you could send to me.
My Grandmother was Janet Chapman who was born on the Hopetoun Estate at No 9 Cottage Woodend, Newton on the 20/7/1868.
I have noted down a  James Chapman, Head Gardener at the Inch, Edinburgh?
As a lad I remember visiting Society where I met Margaret A Chapman b.1870, (Auntie Mag) who was In service to Lord Burghley and also accompanied as cook, to the Earl of Hopetoun, Governor General of Australia. Latterly lived at Society and often seen riding her bike to the bookies to South Queensferry in her 90’s!
Kind regards
Bill

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 October 14 09:42 GMT (UK) »
My CHAPMAN line meets yours via 3xgtgdparents Agnes CHAPMAN & Thomas SHATTON (then CHATTIE then CHATHAM), where Agnes is aunt of your George CHAPMAN 1804-1872.

karabim, in your list of children, you've not mentioned Mungo CHAPMAN, born 28 Nov 1834 Abercorn. It's believed he emigrated to Ontario in 1856, married Agnes STEWART in 1864 McNab St Church, Hamilton (where his parents are recorded as George & Margaret Chapman, which basically proves his parentage) and had family. He died in 1921. This info came from descendants via the late Larry Blake.

We also believe that it was your George CHAPMAN who had an illeg son by Barbara HENDERSON - son George CHAPMAN recorded himself as being born 1829/30 in Dalmeny, died 28 Sep 1917, MI in Dalmeny Churchyard, recorded in the IGI as being born 23 Feb 1830 Abercorn to George CHAPMAN & Barbara HENDERSON. I haven't got around to confirm all this yet - his death certificate might do it if the OPR doesn't.  He was brought up by his mother and can be found in the censuses, married with family.

Perhaps you know all this already!