Author Topic: Byrne crest -does anyone have the same  (Read 11183 times)

Offline Bigmamashouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Byrne crest -does anyone have the same
« on: Saturday 17 September 11 03:42 BST (UK) »
Posted is a picture of a hand made byrne crest - I believe. Wondering if anyone has one the same apparently it was made for a byrne family reunion many years ago and was given to me by my aunty.

Offline Temic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Byrne crest -does anyone have the same
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 September 11 15:12 BST (UK) »
Well, first, to be pedantic, "crest" refers to the Mermaid that sits on the helm ("helmet").

A coat of arms is awarded to an individual and may be passed to down through his male descendants - they do not belong to just anyone who happen to have that surname.

In theory, no one else should have those arms.

The coat of arms as pictured here I'm guessing was simply lifted out of Burke's by the person who made it - a very common commercial practice. This may mean a number of people with the same surname apparently have the same arms even if the arms have never been granted to their specific family.

I'm sure there are examples, but it's rarer still for two people with different, unrelated, surnames to have the same arms, as even people selling commercial products with "your" coat of arms avoid this, while the College of Arms that designs the "official" arms for an individual exists in part to avoid just this sort of thing (in theory).

If your family was indeed granted a coat of arms, you'd probably have known about it.

According to Burke's (1884), these arms were granted to the O'Byrnes family from Co. Wicklow in Ireland - similar arms were apparently still in use in 1884.

Of course, I'd be delighted for you should you tell me that you've traced your ancestry to the O'Byrnes of Co. Wicklow!
ESSEX Bonnett Burrows Clow (or Clough) Crampin Cressell Deacon Everett Heckford Humphries Missen Midson Pask Richmond Redgewell Tansley Tyler Whiting Wisby
SUFFOLK Brett Byford Chapman Churchyard Clow Coe Dearsley/Derisly Dous Hawes Mutimer Nunn Ransome Raw/Rolllinson Smith (Haverhill) Stollery Stringer Wallis Nunn NOTTS Hook Mills Pollicott
ENGLAND Parchment

Offline Bigmamashouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 September 11 22:27 BST (UK) »
That is so interesting thankyou. I live in australia and my Aunty went to Ireland with my grandma and they were given this crest. It would have been around 1960-70's.

Thankyou once again

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 September 11 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hate to shatter more of your illusions, and it's difficult to be 100% certain from a photograph, but looks more like a bought one than something homemade.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Bigmamashouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 September 11 22:51 BST (UK) »
Awww it gets worse oh well its been the most posts Ive ever had to my byrne family from dublin at least thats something who are they????? :D

Offline fia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 September 11 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there my name is byrne and your crest looks the same as mine I have byrnes on both sides some from wicklow but none with an O

Offline Bigmamashouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 September 11 00:06 BST (UK) »
I too have only bynre no "O" . What are some of the names of your aunts and uncles and grand or great granparents? do you have a family tree?

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 September 11 20:36 BST (UK) »
This is the Byrne entry from Burke's General Armory.  Many of these commercial companies just pick the oldest entry for any given surname. 
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Offline Tiz_Byrne12

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 23:01 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Bigmamashouse
Wondering if anyone has one the same apparently it was made for a byrne family reunion many years ago and was given to our family...I'm living in Portugal and here, I have my cousins and aunts/uncles and (grand)parents - BYRNE; I will always be proud of our family and I would like to know the other side of the  ;)