Author Topic: Linton  (Read 3925 times)

Offline Sani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Linton
« on: Thursday 09 May 13 04:32 BST (UK) »
 Hi to all  I have a question if someone can answer please.  My husbands gr grandmother was Margaret Linton from Londonderry. Family stories say her father, James Linton, was an earl. can anyone tell me how to find out if this is true.  Thanks in advance    Val

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Linton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 May 13 08:58 BST (UK) »
My husbands gr grandmother was Margaret Linton from Londonderry. Family stories say her father, James Linton, was an earl. can anyone tell me how to find out if this is true.  Thanks in advance    Val

Unlikely.
James Black 1800 - 1892 ( Australia )and wife Margaret Linton  b 1798 and died in Australia. Both are said to have been born in Londonderry and marr there as well and had 7 children . They emmigrated to Aust in  1843 - 44 on board the "Manilus" and lived in Geelong, Victoria.
I have James' father as Robert Black and Margaret's parents were James Linton and Sarah Cassidy. I have all the family in Aust but nothing before leaving Ireland.  Can anyone please help.    Thank you    Val
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sforcina

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Linton
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 July 13 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Val - I have a letter written by a Sarah Linton to her cousin Robert Black on 19 Jan1895 - saying mother died in 1862, father in 1874.  Jacob in America 1857, James 1891 and John 1892.  She was alone in the house he left her in - in 1841.  She has written you maybe Lord Linton yet.  So maybe there is some truth in the story.  She also writes thanks be to God he has kept me these last 3 years without anyone to help me - I know my time will soon be up.   (She lived until 12 May 1906)
Rhonda