Author Topic: James Fanning of Tipperary, Co Tipperary  (Read 19006 times)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
Re: James Fanning of Tipperary, Co Tipperary
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 April 09 08:47 BST (UK) »
And to get Birth Cert

1. You can look up the Ireland government index at this LDS site . It gives you the reference you need for the application form below. But as long as it is after 1864, you can get away with not having the reference if you have the date and place

2. You can order the certs by downloading a form and posting to the government dept (The General Registrar Office   - they are in Roscommon)

Its easy to do, you do not have to pay a researcher, but it takes a few weeks for the cert to arrive.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Lallygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 April 09 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Corisande

I had a look at some of those projects and sites you mentioned. I will most likely order a few certificates.
Interested in the surnames of Pizzey, Halfhide, Argent, South, Fanning, Killham and Dell.
Interested in the areas of Essex, Middlesex, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire,  Ontario Canada and Australia

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 November 09 03:23 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered an Ellen Fanning in my family tree, married to John Browne.
We've now found at least eight children born to the couple between 1867 and 1886, all  in the Caher/Cashel/Clonmel area.
So I guess Ellen Fanning was born c1836-1852
Just possibly a sibling/cousin of James?
Pete
{Post updated with new information}
P.S. I assume you're aware of the Thurles Fannings? http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=382672
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 November 09 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Have any of the Fannings here had a y-DNA test done.

I am curious about the Fannings as my y-DNA (Grant from Co Tipp) is an extremely close match to Fannings in Fanning DNA Priject
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Lallygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 November 09 00:08 GMT (UK) »
No I haven't had my DNA done. I thought it had to be a male relative that did DNA. My family is 5 girls. I would have to contact a cousin in England to get it done on my behalf.

Do you know if it is male or female DNA for the test.

regards
Jackie
Interested in the surnames of Pizzey, Halfhide, Argent, South, Fanning, Killham and Dell.
Interested in the areas of Essex, Middlesex, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire,  Ontario Canada and Australia

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 November 09 07:04 GMT (UK) »
For the "Fanning" name you need a male with the name "Fanning" - in other words the y-dna only passes from father to son.

Have a look at the Fanning DNA project , and look at the various tabs along the top like "Patriarchs" Contact the organiser to discuss it, I am sure she would be please to help. They have research on Fannings (but most of them are Americans who have no idea where they came from except "Ireland")

From memory there was some debate as to whether they always were in Sligo or came from Limerick - my own view was Limerick, but that was not based on extensive research!

DNA is a complex subject, and there is a lot of misunderstanding/misinformation/prejudice about results and how they should be interpreted, so take care. Having said that it can be a great help in establishing where your family came from. If your DNA matches theirs, then you have made a big step forward.

I had advised them last year to try to find people in Ireland to do the test, so they should be very pleased to see you are interested
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Fanningadm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 16:20 GMT (UK) »
FANNING Y-DNA project would like to have any male Fanning from Tipperary test for their project.
The link for the project is
http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/fanning/

Presently we have six members who have a paper trail to Ireland, four from US and two from Australia.

I can answer any questions by clicking on my name at bottom of page.

There is a holiday sale that is in effect until December 31.

Cathy Fanning Stoppel

Offline Lallygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 December 09 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am from a family of girls - one of 5 sisters. My mum has one brother left in England that I might be able to approach. I live in Australia so it will be via mail that i contact him so it might take a while.

His grandmother was a Fanning born in Tipperary Town, Tipperary in 1882. Eliza was from a family of 6 - 5 of them girls. The only son died at the age of 2 from measels. It has been difficult tracking them all down. But 3 of the girls ended up in England before WW1.

regards
Jackie

Offline Fanningadm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 December 09 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Jackie,

Since his grandmother was a Fanning, that won't work for Y-DNA.  Y-DNA transfer from male to male.
MtDNA  (maternal transfer from female to son and daughter).  Son only passes on Y-DNA.

I have posted a link so that you can see the path of Y-DNA and MtDNA which is a simple pedigree chart. 
http://www.isogg.org/malepa4.gif

Your uncle has a different surname than Fanning and his Y-DNA should have matches with that surname.
You would need to go back one more generation in your Fanning lineage to see if there is a male that had sons. You would then need to trace their lineage forward to see if there is someone to test.

Sometimes it is necessary to go back several generations to find males, which I know is very hard.

Regards, Cathy