Author Topic: George Haskett of Ballina (1827 - 1882)  (Read 13578 times)

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Haskett of Ballina (1827 - 1882)
« on: Thursday 04 October 12 13:37 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather was George Haskett from Ballina, Co. Tipperary. His death certificate has 25 Aug 1882 as the date of his death, and he was 55 when he died, so he was born in or around 1827. He married Anne Ryan in Ballina on 12 Feb 1861. They had a number of children, including David, Martin, James Patrick("George"), and a daughter that died at 11 months old. On his marriage record from Roots Ireland, his parents are not recorded. Nor are Anne's. I have been told that his parents were David Haskett and Mary Finucane, but I have no records to state this officially. Does anyone know how I could find out this information, and also who Anne's parents were? Her side of the family remains a mystery to me. Thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: George Haskett of Ballina (1827 - 1882)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 October 12 13:42 BST (UK) »
If your Haskett family were RC and George was baptised in the area around 1827, then he was a little too early for parish records. These go back to 1832 for this parish.

see the sources list on RootsIreland

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 October 12 13:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane, that's unfortunate. I'm hoping that the marriage certificate holds more information on the parents names than the roots ireland record.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 October 12 13:45 BST (UK) »
If the marriage was RC then there will be no marriage cert - just the parish record you're seen the transcript of.

Civil marriage certs, where available for RC marriages - i.e. from 1864, show father's name and occupation only. Mother's names are not included.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 October 12 13:59 BST (UK) »
They had a number of children, including David, Martin, James Patrick("George"), and a daughter that died at 11 months old.

did any of the children's baptisms mention a location ?
e.g. the name of a townland...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 October 12 14:03 BST (UK) »
Here's what I have on his son David Haskett (my great grandfather)
Thanks

Name David Haskett
  Date of Birth : 27 August 1876
  District : Portroe
  Address : Ballina
  Parents : George Haskett & Anne Ryan
  Father's Occupation : Labourer
  Informant George Haskett.  (his mark)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 October 12 14:20 BST (UK) »
That appears to be a transcript of a civil record - i.e. birth cert. The address indicates the residence was somewhere in the town. Specific addresses in towns (i.e. numbers) were not used at the time..

I dont see any reference to George on Griffith's in the town, but the family may have lived in some sort of rental accommodation and not listed. If they lived in a rural area you could have tried the earlier Tithe records for a possible listing of his father - but the Tithes didn't  cover town and cities.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 October 12 14:24 BST (UK) »
George's purported father David Haskett is in Griffiths in Toutinna in 1848 & 1850.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 October 12 14:42 BST (UK) »
George's purported father David Haskett is in Griffiths in Toutinna in 1848 & 1850.

I presume that's the townland of Tountinna - it's shown as 'Fountinna' on the Griffith's return for some reason... but shown correctly in the townland Index and OSI maps.

It's a townland of about 367 acres and also in the civil parish of Templeachally, the same parish as the town of Ballina. It's located about 6km (~4 miles) north east of Ballina town.

Shane
My Surname Interests