Author Topic: Lawlors/Lalors  (Read 3531 times)

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lawlors/Lalors
« on: Monday 08 July 13 16:56 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find more information on my Lalor/Lawlor side.  My 2nd great grandmother, Mary Lawlor was born in 1861 in St. Peter & Paul's Parish, in Waterford. Her parents were Walter Lalor and Anne (Mary) Madden.  Mary Lawlor married John Lawless in 1887 in Tipperary.  The marriage certificate stated that Walter already had passed. 

Walter & Anne were married on 2/6/1855 in Kilsheelan, Waterford.

I went onto rootsireland.ie and was able to figure out Mary's siblings: Anne, Ellen, Bridget, Margaret (Minnie), Thomas, Catherine, Richard, John, Ann & Honora.  Some were born in Waterford and some in Tipperary.   Through ancestry.com, I believe Ann moved to MA and got married to a Daniel Finn.  I believe her sister, Bridget came over to MA too, as I found her death notice and listed her parents, as well as her immigration papers.  Minnie Lawlor married Patrick Fitzgerald, who also came over to the MA area.  I can only assume this is the same family. 

Also on rootsireland, I found a birth certificate for a Walter Lawlor born 4/2/1810 in Tipperary and died on 11/11/1872 in Poulnagunoge, Co. Tipperary, Ireland, with the informant being Anne.

I recently got into contact with a lady who thinks we have the same lineage.  She sent me a document that her Walter married a Nancy and had listed some of the same children I found.  I just can't connect the dots with 100% accuracy.

Mary Lawless (Lawlor) my 2nd great grandmother, died in Clonmel in April 1940. 

I was hoping someone maybe had some information on this family?

Offline Spanrz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lawlors/Lalors
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 November 13 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a Captain Lalor in your linage?
Researching :
Maternal - Hasler (Parliament + Photographers) - mid 1700's+, Galway City & Dublin
Paternal - Fitzgerald - mid 1700's+, Cork City
Maternal - MacNevin (Solicitor's) - mid 1700's+, Dublin
Maternal - Newenham (Parliament, Military) - mid 1700's+, Cork & Dublin
Maternal - Persse (Moyode+Roxborough) - mid 1700's+, Galway
Others: Maternal - Blood, Blakeney (Athenry)

Offline colmflynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lawlors/Lalors
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 December 13 10:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find more information on my Lalor/Lawlor side.  My 2nd great grandmother, Mary Lawlor was born in 1861 in St. Peter & Paul's Parish, in Waterford. Her parents were Walter Lalor and Anne (Mary) Madden.  Mary Lawlor married John Lawless in 1887 in Tipperary.  The marriage certificate stated that Walter already had passed. 

Walter & Anne were married on 2/6/1855 in Kilsheelan, Waterford.

I went onto rootsireland.ie and was able to figure out Mary's siblings: Anne, Ellen, Bridget, Margaret (Minnie), Thomas, Catherine, Richard, John, Ann & Honora.  Some were born in Waterford and some in Tipperary.   Through ancestry.com, I believe Ann moved to MA and got married to a Daniel Finn.  I believe her sister, Bridget came over to MA too, as I found her death notice and listed her parents, as well as her immigration papers.  Minnie Lawlor married Patrick Fitzgerald, who also came over to the MA area.  I can only assume this is the same family. 

Also on rootsireland, I found a birth certificate for a Walter Lawlor born 4/2/1810 in Tipperary and died on 11/11/1872 in Poulnagunoge, Co. Tipperary, Ireland, with the informant being Anne.

I recently got into contact with a lady who thinks we have the same lineage.  She sent me a document that her Walter married a Nancy and had listed some of the same children I found.  I just can't connect the dots with 100% accuracy.

Mary Lawless (Lawlor) my 2nd great grandmother, died in Clonmel in April 1940. 

I was hoping someone maybe had some information on this family?

My Great Great Grandfather was born in 1800 and Catherine LALOR was his mother's maiden name. They were farmers and lived in Poulnagunoge. In fact some of their descendants still live on the same land in Poulnagunoge.  The Lawlors also still live in Poulnagunogue but I don't know much about that branch (other than Catherine Lalor was my G-G-G-Grand mother and it was always said we were related to them but we had to go back to 1800 to find the connection).  Lots of the families from that time are still living in the area and often on the same land.  If you look up the Tithe allotments, Griffith's valuations, etc I'd say you'll find info on the Lalors.  Look up the Waterford County Council website.   Under their family history section you will find death records. That is amazingly detailed. If you search for Lawlor I expect you will find all related records.  You will have to click on the individual records and see if they were in Poulnagunoge. Bit of a pain that the records returned will be all Lalors in Waterford but you get through them fairly quickly.

You are going to find the records straddle Waterford and Tipperary because they are right on the border between the two counties and they live the hills literally overlooking Clonmel town.  Births and Marriages seemed to be registered in Clonmel and therefore Tipperary while Deaths and land rental/ownership were registered in Waterford.