Author Topic: Buckie's Miln  (Read 22054 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Buckie's Miln
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 15 June 13 15:40 BST (UK) »
There is a transcription here, the date was 13th July, 1760, and it seems to be an Alexander Walker, junior giving his account of someone shearing grass...I though at first it was theft but the end and beginning reveal it was desecrating the day of Sabbath...
http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/george-henderson-kinnear/history-of-glenbervie-ala/page-7-history-of-glenbervie-ala.shtml
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 16 June 13 15:42 BST (UK) »
Have you contacted the other rootschatter who has Walkers occ. milners etc. you hadn't answered that post I'd l made earlier on in the thread.   J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline RosieThomas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 16 June 13 17:07 BST (UK) »
I have been in contact with Glen Bervie JJ - thanks for suggesting it.

Rosie

Offline RosieThomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 17 June 13 13:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks GR2 .. William Walker did indeed have a horse at Mill of Buckie .. gut feel is that he is Rev James' father.

Glenbervie kirkyard has stone 254: "Erected by William Walker in Buckies Mill in memory of his father Alexander formerly tenant there d 12 Sep 1761 aged 62, his mother Anne Brand d 26 Oct 1740 aged 45. His spouse Mary Scott d 15 Nov 1767 aged 33, their son William d 2 Aug 1795 aged 31. His dau Betty by his 2nd wife Isobel Watson - she lived beloved & d regretted 29 Mar 1794 in 22nd year. Plinth" Falconers Buckiesmill 1903"

Family Search gives a James Walker christened Glenbervie 10 Feb 1759, father William - possibly my mysterious Rev James Walker although 2 years earlier than his birth record at Marischal College.

All this points to Rev James' father being the above William Walker. But if so, who was his mother? In the will of James Paul Smyth (Bond Street perfumer, d 1797 in London) he leaves bequests to "my nephew Rev James Walker of Huntly" and "my sister Jean Walker". If William Walker's wives were Mary Scott and Isobel Watson .... who does Jean fit in?  Date-wise, 1st wife Mary Scott would have been James' mother as he was born around 1760.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 17 June 13 14:38 BST (UK) »
His birth wasn't recorded at Marischal College, but I imagine his year of birth would have been on record. They record whatever is given them... I imagine you've seen death docs and census after census with all different dates of birth...

I imagine anyone else searching will appreciate the work done on this thread...

For those who wish to look further for Rosie's Walkers...I'll again post the Walker thread link  here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,647027.msg4957253.html#msg4957253

Forfarian also had this in a thread...there are many Smiths in this world, but this one lives right beside your place of interest
I made a detour and found a helpful gentleman named Mr Smith busy dismantling an old fence between Buckie's Mill and Mill of Buckie.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 17 June 13 15:11 BST (UK) »
also a reminder that it was pointed out that the Smyth may have been added in order to become an heir. When there were only female children or no offspring only nephews & so on another heir could be named. In this case James Paul Smyth may have been James Paul.
Looby linked to this thread... http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,551378.0.html

Offline RosieThomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 17 June 13 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ - re Rev Walker's birth, you're right .. my record of 1761 birth came from David Bertie's book "Scottish Episcopal Clergy". In a couple of censuses Walker enters his DoB as "abt 1766".
Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 17 June 13 19:02 BST (UK) »
Family Search gives a James Walker christened Glenbervie 10 Feb 1759, father William - possibly my mysterious Rev James Walker although 2 years earlier than his birth record at Marischal College.
Get the original baptism from Scotland's People - it just might tell you the place of residence, and if so would clinch things.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Glen Bervie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 23:30 BST (UK) »
A wee bit of information that I recently picked up about Buckies Mill.  I was having a read through the early Kirk Session minute books in Registers House when I came across an a couple of entries in 1728.

Basically the Session are trying to secure a bond or loan from the Laird of Glenbervie. In the minutes they then refer to the laird as the Laird of Buckie or simply Buckie.
I'm not sure if this was the 6th or 7th Laird of Buckie...both seemed to have married Burnets.

Presumably the Mill was built (or owned) by one of these Lairds and became known as Buckies Mill.

http://www.patrickspeople.co.uk/files/2342.htm
I suspect that it must have been the earlier 6th Laird as the "New Mill" was built just downstream and appears on the Roy 1747-52 maps.

Graeme