Author Topic: ARCHBELL  (Read 5696 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ARCHBELL
« on: Friday 11 February 11 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi:  my grandmother was an Archbell, the family originating in Tadcaster, Yorkshire.  I have been collecting Archbell references for some time now and have managed to link the majority of the English families (at least from the early 1700s) , together with the South African branch (started by James Archbell, the Wesleyan Missionary who was sent there in 1819), and a couple of families in Australia and Canada.  I have yet to tackle America, mainly because I can't trace any connection to someone who migrated from England ;D ;D   I would be grateful to receive any information on this surname, from wherever in the world.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline bluigirl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: ARCHBELL
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 September 14 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Bumble Bee. I am an American direct descendant of the Archbell family.  I have been able to follow my line back to 1703.  Anything before that is assumptions and theories.  I do believe my roots are in Tadcaster as well.  The person that bridges my tree from Northumberland County Virginia to England is John Archbell.   I actually have two John Archbell's in question. The first is John Archbell brought over as an indentured slave\prisoner to Lynn Mass in 1653.  I know he was sold to a local resident in Lynn named Richard Smith.  The next John Archbell is one who had a will proved in Canterbury in 1692. He is listed on the ship Ephriam and his executors  are Hannah and Alexander Thompson.  I have seen abstracts records of a Hannah Archbell marriage to Alexander  Thompson. I have also seen abstracts of Alexander Thompson being sent to America on the ship Unity with the first John Archbell.  My John Archbell that I can say 100% is my direct  descendant, is one that shows up as an imported person by George Eskridge in 1703\4 to Northumberland County in Virginia.  What I don't know is where he was imported from.  Nor do I know what happened to the John Archbell who died and had Hannah and Alexander as his executors.  This is where my theorizing comes in.  My thought is that the John Archbell taken in 1652  is the same John Archbell that died on the Ephriam.  He would have been close to 70-75yrs old.  OR this could have been his son that died on the Ephriam.   Now my John Archbell lists himself on a deed in Bath North Carolina as being a cordwainer. I have found in the "History, directory, and gazette of York 1822 " there were Archbells living in Tadcaster, with a shoe wharehouse later. So I thought you might have information on my John Archbell or one of the two others I have stated above.  Thanks for reading.  Im sorry if its confusing But here is the definite info I have on my John Archbell:
Came to Northumberland County Virginia in 1703-4 by way of George Eskridge
Married the widow Frances Clifford, late relict of Robt Clifford in 1713 in Northumberland County Va
They moved to Bath North Carolina, and settled on Duck Creek in 1714 which is adjacent to the famous "archbell Pt" in North Carolina where blackbeard the pirate was beheaded.
They had one known son, Nathan Archbell
Frances, his wife, is thought to have had a son by her first husband that came to Bath with them. 

I don't know if any of these go together or not.  Any thoughts or input?
 Thanks Amy

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Amy  I'm currently on holiday in France.  I'll get back to you at the beginning of October.

Sue
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 September 14 12:08 BST (UK) »
The origins of John Archbell (Archibald) on of 1653 Scottish prisoner listed in the Iron Works papers in 1653.  Taken prisoner at the 'Battle of Worcester' on 3 September 1651
There maybe records at the UK National archives Kew London (or Scotland archives) of the personal records of soldiers  in that battle on both sides of the battle.

The Tadcaster and near by parishes register of Archbell's (Cordwinders)  seem to dry up around 1680-ish as direct traceable linked back in FH to Peter and Philip Archbell occupations 'Cordwinders'

The Scottish Archbells seem to go by surname Archibald, Archboll
 and Archbold

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 September 14 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Dobby.  From memory the earliest Archbell I found in Tadcaster registers was the baptism of Thomas, son of Philip, in 169?.  Healaugh has instances of Archbell from 1630, but with lots of gaps in both registers and BT's.  I did find a will for Thomas in 1692 and he mentions sons Philip and Thomas, and I believe that, contrary to his wishes, it was Philip who went to Tadcaster and Thomas stayed in Healaugh.

Peter was definitely a cordwainer, but I think that Philip was a joiner.

The will that Amy has,is, I think, John Archbell a mariner from Shadwell.  And I think that he possibly originated in Scarborough or Bridlington, along with one or two other Archbell names who migrated to Shadwell.  Not sure whether I have a copy of the will or not - I am on holiday so no notes with me.

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 October 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Amy:  I'm now back from holiday and have had a chance to look at my notes - not that they help much.  I, too, have the John Archbell will from 1692, when he is said to be "of Shadwell", and a mariner.  I'd be very interested to know where Hannah Archbell and Alexander Thompson were married - I'm assuming that she is John's daughter  :-\ 

Unfortunately I haven't got back as far as you have - my earliest records are from Healaugh (near Tadcaster) in 1633.  The parish registers themselves are only available from 1698, whilst the Bishop's Transcripts start in 1630 but with gaps.  I can't find any reference to the name Archbell (or it's numerous variations) in the Tadcaster parish records prior to 1699.  My assumption is that the Tadcaster families actually originated in Healaugh.

I haven't a lot on the Archbell mariners, who came, I believe from Scarborough and/or Bridlington to Wapping and Shadwell.  My earliest discovery, so far, is early 1730's in Scarborough.  I'm hoping that I can find more when the Yorkshire records have been uploaded onto Find My Past.

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline N3john54

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 February 21 17:58 GMT (UK) »
My Grandmother was an Archbell direct descendant of Rev James Archbell. She had an elder sister Florence who moved to Australia. My mother who died a year ago had a lot of info on the South African Archbells which her mother had collected over the years pertaining to the early family in SA. Will get the info and share.

Regards
Neville Eustice

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 February 21 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes, please.  I have visited a number of his Mission stations on various visits to SA, but always glad to obtain information.

If you respond to his message a couple of times, then we can exchange e-mail addresses via the private message facility here.

Look forward to hearing from you again.

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neville Eustice

Just to further to make clear! as you are new member of rootschat, and I don't know why ?. You have to post at least 2 more posts (3 in all counting your first on this thread.) on any thread on the website and so you can send another member a personal message.

Regards Dave
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth