Author Topic: Annacramph marriage  (Read 9646 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annacramph marriage
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 14:43 BST (UK) »

I know McKendra is an unusual surname and the surname we use today has been altered slightly. It took me quite a few years of trying to trace my ancestors before I realised they were using a slightly different surname. My ancestors were literate and that's how my g g grandfather signed his name on a document I have from around 1840.

The idea of a single “correct” spelling is very much a more modern concept and from my experience of Irish research, spelling will vary from record to record, especially so with native Irish names where, in addition to varying the spelling, the O & Mc prefixes can be added or removed. There were various reasons for all this, illiteracy, indifference and differing officials spelling in their own individual ways. Even literate people varied the spelling.

In his Special Report on Surnames in Ireland, published in 1909, Mathieson includes numerous examples of variation in the spelling of surnames which depended on the whim of the holder. “Some years ago the marriages of a brother and sister in the same family were solemnized in a Registrar’s office. The son gave his surname as “Faulkner” and his father’s name as “Faulkner.” The daughter gave her surname as Falconer, and her father’s surname as Falconer. Both marriages were subsequently re-solemnised in a place of worship, and the same orthographical differences were found to exist in the records kept by the officiating Minister.”

I do think the advice about keeping an open mind on the spelling of this name is sound.

Elwyn

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaffy

I know McKendra is an unusual surname and the surname we use today has been altered slightly. It took me quite a few years of trying to trace my ancestors before I realised they were using a slightly different surname. My ancestors were literate and that's how my g g grandfather signed his name on a document I have from around 1840.

OK, good luck going forward.  :)

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
With regard to the Cardinal O'Fiaich Library, I visited there and someone did the search for me which cost £10 for a very full family record from one parish.  I later e-mailed them for another search - they sent me the results and I subsequently sent a cheque but I suppose they thought that I looked like a trustworthy sort  ;D 
The e-mail address on the site is Roddy.Hegarty@ofiaich.ie  I am sure that he or one of the other officials will readily explain how to pay.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 17:08 BST (UK) »
It is worth noting that the R.C. Archdiocese of Armagh covers:

County Louth, most of County Armagh and parts of counties Tyrone, Londonderry and Meath.

Offline enigmatic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 13:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry Gaffy if I seemed dismissive of your comments. I've been researching this family for several years and have only ever found 2 versions of my ancestors' surname in records from 4 different countries. I've never seen another version of the name used by my ancestors but I guess it's a case of never say never.  I should keep an open mind just in case this is blocking me from finding further information. I know from researching different ancestors that they can use different spellings at different times.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 13:31 BST (UK) »
Think you need to evaluate the sources for McKendra as a surname. For example, does it only appear in Scottish records? or after a certain date? Is it ever used after the later version McKendrick? and when/where have you first seen McKendrick appear.

For Ireland I would suggest also looking for McKendry and McKenna but there could be other spellings/variations the further back you look.

One thing I did notice in your first post was that you said Edward "was born in Annacramph." What's the source for his birthplace? (I checked the earliest Valuation Revision Book on PRONI's site and can find no surname even close to McKendra in the townland of Annacraph)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline enigmatic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 15:14 BST (UK) »
I'm now getting a bit offended. 

Aghadowey I'll answer you as best I can.

"I think you need to evaluate the sources for McKendra as a surname."

Not sure what you mean by "evaluate the sources" but I and another family member have researched this family independently of each other. We both have official records showing this is the surname being used by this family.

"Does it only appear in Scottish records? or after a certain date? Is it ever used after the later version McKendrick? and when/where have you first seen McKendrick appear."

I have already answered these questions for myself and not sure what they have to do with my original request here.

"One thing I did notice in your first post was that you said Edward "was born in Annacramph." What's the source for his birthplace? (I checked the earliest Valuation Revision Book on PRONI's site and can find no surname even close to McKendra in the townland of Annacraph)"

Unlike you who have only just become aware of this surname and has only checked one source- I have been researching this surname for many years and checked many sources and am reasonably confident in the information I provided in my first post.

I am proud of the fact that my family has / had a rather unique surname. I find it a bit insulting that other people struggle with this concept and question the research I have done into this family.

I thank Glensman for pointing me towards the Cardinal O'Fiaich Library and I will approach them for their assistance.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 15:23 BST (UK) »
Would your Edward  McKendra be the same chap whose service records are listed on FindMyPast? If yes, I notice they transcribe Anncramph as Aneicrump, but would agree it certainly seems likely to be Annacramph.

Just a thought, looking at his service dates, have you considered the possibility of him having married somewhere other than Ireland at all?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline enigmatic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Scotmum

Yes that's him and yes I have thought about him marrying elsewhere but I cannot find any record of a marriage and I have searched the records of other countries.