Author Topic: Sherrington / Le Coq marriage  (Read 8790 times)

Offline Paul Crook

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sherrington / Le Coq marriage
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 November 12 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone. I don't have access to Ancestry (or Census details) at the moment but might have to go on to it soon as there seems to be plenty of info for me to look at. Many thanks for all the help

Regards

Paul

Offline purplepen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 March 13 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul.

Just caught your thread about your great grandparents Douglas and Ellen Sherrington. They are my grandparents. I am the eldest daughter of their youngest daughter, Hazel so one of your parents is my cousin. I have a feeling you may be the son of Stephanie (Sunny?).

Please get in touch if you think I can help. I can't go back much further than your answers, but I can certainly help you with some more up to date family history. I have all Douglas Sherrington's documents including his Naval History, plus some photos of Henry and Frances, his parents.

Penny

Offline Paul Crook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 March 13 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Penny

Thanks ever so much for your reply. I am indeed a son of Stephanie. My reply has been delayed as my father, Alan Crook, died last month and I haven't logged on to the website much recently. I obviously don't know how much detail you have gone into regarding cousins etc but in case it's useful I am the eldest of my parent's three children. I have a brother * and a sister *. All three of us are married and we all have children. I can let you have more detail about all of us if you would like it.

I would love to know more about Douglas and his family. Before my father died I was helping him compile a 'military history' of his family and was going to include details of Douglas Sherrington and his son Alexandre (my grandfather). I knew both were in the Navy but have not gathered much more than that. I would be therefore be particularly interested to know more about Douglas' service history and anything you could tell me would be very much appreciated.

Please let me know if I can help you too (I have a few photos of the Sherringtons that you might not have seen).

All the best
Paul

* names of living people removed

Offline purplepen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 March 13 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Great to hear from you, but so sorry to hear about your father.

Please email me at editor@purplepeneditorial.com and I will contact you.

Penny

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 March 13 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Penny, Paul

'Find my Past' has three sets of merchant seamans records for Douglas, one of which includes an identity photograph.

Martin

Offline purplepen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 March 13 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Martin.

FYI Douglas actually joined the Royal Navy in 1894 and served until 1919. He then served on the Merchant Navy vessels, The Empress of Scotland followed by two extended trips on The RSS Discovery (now in Dundee).

Penny

Offline Kimr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 May 14 03:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul and others looking for members of the Sherrington family

My grandfather was Stanley Steward Sherrington who was born 4 Jaunary 1905 to Douglas and Ellen. He married Lily Harris in 1930 and they had three children Peter (b 1932), Thelma (b 1934) and Roger (b 1944). I am Thelma's eldest daughter.

My grandparents and their youngest son emigrated to Australia in 1963, three years after my parents. Their older son emigrated in 1967.

Stanley passed away 29 May  1968 and Lily on 6 December 1999. Thinking of my grandfather on his anniversary prompted me to search his name and found this site.

I am interested in whatever I can learn about my grandfather's family.

Offline Paul Crook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am sorry it has taken so long to respond to you. Do you know much about his Stanley's brother Alexandre and his family. If not i can probably provide some info for you. Please let me know.

Paul

Offline Kimr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 July 14 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your dad. Even when expected, it can be a very difficult time.

I don't know a lot about the family at all. Just snippets that were really picked up by eavesdropping as a kid because we weren't supposed to listen in on adult conversations! All that family history that we missed out on. We were told a few stories but more to do with my grandparents and not much about the extended families. Penny has sent me some info and I am in the process of putting some of our history together. I will send to you also if you are interested. I have been using a work email address but after next Friday will be using the following: kim2reardon@gmail.com if you wish to contact me privately.
Hopefully catch you again soon.
Kim