Author Topic: MATHEWS in Dublin/New to this board  (Read 15092 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
MATHEWS in Dublin/New to this board
« on: Saturday 18 December 10 23:38 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi, I'm Jeanne (Mathews) Bell,  from NZ. I am winding my way through Mathews familky postings.  I'm researching my Mathews family, which is my paternal direct line of descent. I've been stuck in Ireland for quite some time, a marriage 1845, with Henry Maxwell Mathews, Gentleman. of Dublin named as the father of John Gibbons Mathews, a Sergeant of Lancers.

So that makes Henry Maxwell Mathews Esq. my 4xgreat grandfather. I also have more children for him.  I will post more about my Mathews later, when I have a more specific enquiry, but probably many more than one!! LOL - But right now I have to go to a christening - no, not another Mathews, but there is a new one on the way!!

In the meantime, I have found an interesting site that I thought some of you may find informative.  You may possibly already know of it, but lots of Irish Mathews information there to while away the hours!!  Hope you find it helpful!

http://members.iinet.net.au/~nickred/newspaper/np_abst36.htm

Thanks and Happy Hunting
Jeanne (Mathews) Bell NZ
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MATHEWS in Dublin/New to this board
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 December 10 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeanne,
                    It seems that I'm the first to say hello and welcome to Rootschat  :D I hope you get the response you deserve to your enquiries, and that you get the pleasure and profit that I do.
                            Enjoy!  :)
                                                Pinot

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 December 10 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RC Jeanne :)

I am sure someone will come to your aid soon...I warn you now, it's a very addictive site :D

Ambers
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 December 10 03:49 GMT (UK) »
 ;)Thank You Ambers & Pinot. ;)!!  I can see that your "warning" is warranted!! Looks like a really supportive community, and I hope I will be able to contribute as well as beg!!
My goodness, I really am getting old - it was a birthday party I went to, not a christening!! Oh dear!!
Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 December 10 19:16 GMT (UK) »
welcome, Jeanne

it isn't age that makes you substitute "christening" instead of "birthday" - it's Genealogy!!

just see how many family Historians say that they were born in 1840 instead of 1940, etc!!

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 December 10 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Here goes with my Mathews Family. I would really appreciate if someone could please help me with this.

I currently have three marriage certificates with my 4xgreat-grandfather HENRY MAXWELL MATHEWS (gentleman) named as father.  These three marriages all took place in Dublin. John Gibbons Mathews is my 3xgreatgrandfather.

1845-11 July.  JOHN GIBBONS MATHEWS (Sergeant of Lancers, Residence at time of marriage- Nottingham -  to MARY JANE FLEMING ( daughter of DAVID FLEMING,Officer Royal Irish Artillery
                   This marriage took place in the Donnybrook Church in the Parish of Donnybrook,  City of Dublin

1851-19 April   SARAH ANNIE MATHEWS, residence at time of Marriage, 47 Aungier or maybe Aughrim) to JOHN POTTER Esq. son of ROBERT POTTER, Clerk in Holy Orders. This marriage took place in the Parish Church of St. Peter, City of Dublin.

1865 -30 Dec.  PHOEBE MATHEWS, residence at time of Marriage,31 Synge Street to
William Coote, shopkeeper,usual residence Moate Co, Westmeath, son of George Coote, farmer. This marriage took place in St Kevin's Church in the Parish of St. Peter, City of Dublin.

From all these details and addresses I have been unable to find any more info for HENRY MAXWELL MATHEWS or his two daughters. Street directories have not turned up anything for me, although, having said that I have an entry in Pettigrew & Oulton Almanac Dublin Directory for 1842 for a MRS Henry Maxwell Mathews, living in Blackrock, Carysfort Avenue but I have no idea where to look next, trying to track birth & marriage for Henry.

Anyone have any ideas for me please?? I've run out!! Thank You so much.

Jeanne (Mathews) Bell NZ  ::)

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 December 10 20:31 GMT (UK) »
LOL -Thank You Eadaoin.  Yes, you're right!  Anyway, it was a lovely christening - oops - birthday party - for 3 year old twins - a great day.  After they had all the fun of their birthday presents, they started on the Christmas presents under the tree!  Saying "Mine - Mine"!! ;D ;D

Jeanne

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 December 10 22:13 GMT (UK) »
mod note : Topics merged
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 December 10 22:52 GMT (UK) »
1851-19 April   SARAH ANNIE MATHEWS, residence at time of Marriage, 47 Aungier or maybe Aughrim) to JOHN POTTER Esq. son of ROBERT POTTER, Clerk in Holy Orders. This marriage took place in the Parish Church of St. Peter, City of Dublin.
.... I have an entry in Pettigrew & Oulton Almanac Dublin Directory for 1842 for a MRS Henry Maxwell Mathews, living in Blackrock, Carysfort Avenue but I have no idea where to look next, trying to track birth & marriage for Henry.

Many Dublin City parish records are available at www.irishgenealogy.ie, but the problem with Henry could be that Blackrock is in Co. Dublin and most county area are not covered by the website. An it's also possible that Henry came some other part of Dublin, or elsewhere originally.

Pettigrew & Oulton 1840 shows the same detail for Mrs Henry Maxwell Mathews at Carysford Ave, but I dont see any sign of Mrs. or Mr. Matthews in the 1834 edition. There's no mention of Carysford ave.. so it may had a different name of not yet existed at that time.. I'll check further

There is a Mr. Henry M. Matthews listed in 1834 with an address at 5 Buckingham place. This is located Dublin North city close to the Royal Canal and the North Strand Rd/Ballybough area in the civil parish of St. Thomas.

some additional details on one the marriages :

The address of Sarah Annie at the time of her marriage is 47 Aungier Street. St. Peter's church was on the same street at number 53. In 1852 a Robert Read, licensed measured  & valuator of works is listed at 47.  see link  (www.irishgenealogy.ie)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests