Author Topic: Thom's lookup around 1880 please  (Read 5277 times)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thom's lookup around 1880 please
« on: Thursday 09 June 11 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

Following up on an ancestral marriage cert, I have Patrick Sarsfield McKeon at 21 Lower Liffey Street.  Does the address appear in the directory?

Dermo 
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Thom's lookup around 1880 please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 June 11 20:47 BST (UK) »
Thom's 1879

the numbers are listed very strangely - not quite in order, so I nearly missed it...

16 and 21 Lwr Liffey Street
   Richard McKeon, broker

lots of trademen, dealers and brokers of the street

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 June 11 21:05 BST (UK) »
Shane

Thanks very much, that's excellent.  Richard McKeon was father of the groom, Joseph McKeon, but the marriage took place in Liverpool and while I know the bride, Margaret Carey, was Dublin born I thought Joseph had been born in England.  He must have emigrated.  Patrick must be Richard's son and Joseph's brother.  If so, Richard was obviously a patriot - Joseph's middle names were Wolfe Tone!
Is there any indication of what kind of broker Richard was or any way to find that out?

Regards

Dermo
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 June 11 21:13 BST (UK) »
that's all it has 'broker'

more than half the addresses street on the street are either 'broker' or 'dealer'  Many of the other trades are furniture related - e.g. furniture dealers, cabinet makers, upholsterers, a mattress maker etc

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 June 11 21:29 BST (UK) »
Shane

That fits very well.  I guess Richard was a furniture broker (what does that mean - wholesaler?).  Joseph McKeon was a "house furnisher"  in Liverpool, according to the UK 1901 and 1911 censuses.  In the 1891 census he was an upholsterer but clearly moved up.  He seems to have done ok for himself, leaving an estate worth about £5000 in 1931.  Liffey Street was obviously a centre for the furnishing trade.

Many thanks

Dermo 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 June 11 21:32 BST (UK) »
I think a broker would be usually a kind of middleman - so  wholesaler might be an equivalent modern term

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 June 11 21:40 BST (UK) »
Sounds like it.  Thanks a lot Shane.

Dermo

Offline carosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 18:19 BST (UK) »
I am looking for family relations. They are the McKeons.
My gt grandfather was Thomas McKeon (of Westmeath) he moved to Dublin. Married and had 12 children. One of which was my grandmother Teresa McKeon of New Street. He is listed as a cattle dealer and his wife as a glove maker in census records. He was also a butcher.
Anyone with any more information would be grateful.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 20:42 BST (UK) »
There was a Wolfe Tone McKeon born Marleybone,London 1855 and a Patrick Sarsfield McKeon born 1859 Shoreditch,London in 1859.